Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

Dejoha,

you think the poles in the 'handy hammock' stand are 6 feet? If so that would be a very good thing.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I'm not sure. I'm awaiting my handy hammock soon and I'll do a review.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    you think the poles in the 'handy hammock' stand are 6 feet? If so that would be a very good thing.
    Looks more like 4-5' in their videos.....unless of course, all the people in them are 7 1/2' tall.

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    You could always use trekking pole for your tarp to get it up higher off the hammock.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Can I ask how much that is going to run you including shipping? In US $?
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    If you're looking for a backpacking setup (ie carry it multiple miles into the backcountry), the Alamosa stand that's been discussed already is one of the more reasonable options.

If you're looking for a sedan-portable stand for car camping use, though, I'd recommend the Turtle Lady stand, with materials that collapse down. It was a bit tough in your title/initial post to determine exactly which one you are looking for. I was in a similar position - needing a stand to bring to scout outings or other campgrounds that didn't have sufficient trees but that were fairly car accessible so weight wasn't as much an issue as getting something into my sedan.

As far as I can tell, gmcttr was the first to construct a TurtleLady stand out of a set of 4' aluminum poles that all break down easily and store in a bag, as outlined on this page:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...&postcount=613

He links to the site where he found them - they're military poles that hold up camouflage netting. The catch? Shipping's rough on 30 pounds of poles. I was able to do some searching on Craigslist, though, and found someone selling the exact same poles (they are old military issue, so they are around in a number of places) within an hour drive of my house and picked up enough for 3 sets for a very reasonable cost. I then built them pretty much exactly as gmcttr did (with lashings, some Grainger push buttons to hold the poles together, etc.) and they work great.

The best part is that they load into a very nice bag and fit into the trunk or back seat of my Toyota Camry. They're heavy-ish; I wouldn't want to load them on my back and walk too far. But, they're easily portable for car camping or short walks to set up. Depending on your exact needs, they're definitely worth considering as they don't need stakes and their setup is a bit more straightforward.

And if you're interested in a double stand - check out the MustardDog stand built out of the same poles!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=60638
    Originally I was looking for a Turtlelady that would break down and fit easily within my civic, for Scouting events that I go to.

However, over this winter, my desire to get into lightweight backpacking has increased and I've begun considering a setup that might fit more ideally within that setting.

Cost is also a factor for me, as the wife is going to grad school and we are paying for that out of pocket, excess money to spend is in short supply. 2 4' dowel rods, 40' of amsteel blue (20' for each side), and some 10" tent pegs are fairly cheap. Probably no more than about $20-$30.

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    One thing to think about with making the support poles longer is that you are changing the angle that your ropes are pulling and therefore the forces that are pulling on your stakes. Keeping that angle as low as possible will allow you to use smaller stakes. I like the simplicity of this stand. Great little stand.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dammfast View Post
    One thing to think about with making the support poles longer is that you are changing the angle that your ropes are pulling and therefore the forces that are pulling on your stakes. Keeping that angle as low as possible will allow you to use smaller stakes. I like the simplicity of this stand. Great little stand.
    That's why the lines are to be 10' on each side. With an attachment point height of 36" (doesn't matter if the pole is actually 48" to allow for a tarp) at that length the angle of the guyline to the ground is only 17.5*. I could go longer, but there is a limit to what is reasonable. I just wish I knew a way to calculate how much force I am exerting on each stake, so I could figure a reasonable safety margin and know what angle I need to use.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Images
    Ok, built the stand. Used Technora 1/8" rope, rated at 2800#'s for the lines. Used 1 3/8" dowels cause they were cheaper than the 1" dowels. I bought 4 ground stakes (these: http://www.lowes.com/pd_349251-258-G...t=ground+stake).

I put it up the first time last night and had a stake failure. The stake just pulled out of the ground. I made some adjustments, lengthened the ropes a bit and lowered the connection point. All held good for a bit, then I had another stake failure. This one was different though. It actually bent the stake against one of the support ribs. you can see the lighter orange stress marks along the plastic.

I think the design is good, just need better stakes that can take the forces. Think I'll go back and try these: http://www.lowes.com/pd_65507-1278-1...ike&facetInfo=

Hammock
    DIY Green Cat cut
    Tarp
    SUPA FLY
    Insulation
    golite TQ, Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    i'm looking forward to it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast