Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

WB Ridgerunner and tarps, no problem?

I don't YET have one to test myself. There are tons of glowing reviews on the WBRR, yet I have missed any mention of this: tarps and WBRR spreader bar interactions.

So previously I had seen significant number of questions or complaints about the contact between the JRB BMBH and tarps and how to prevent it. At least one person even poked a hole in his expensive non-sil tarp. There were quite a few threads discussing how to get around this problem, which was definitely doable. But on the list of negatives or "cons" for bridge vs non-bridge, the tarp issues were often mentioned. Bottom line seemed to be that for equal wind/rain coverage you needed a good bit bigger, heavier tarp or needed to rig up some sort of side pull outs for your tarp if it didn't have them, or both.

At the same time, a lot of folks ( certainly but not all ) were dissatisfied with the shoulder room in the deluxe BMBH, enough to be a deal breaker. It seemed about the only way out of this was even wider bars, which would only increase tarp contact problems. Although the BMBH UL model, by being 4" less deep, while using the same bar width, does seem to have more shoulder room. ( hold the presses! I just measured, and my old original removable net BMBH has 31" bars, while my zip net BMBH UL has 32" bars. So that would account for a little bit of the dif in percieved shoulder room, along with being more shallow. I would have sworn they were identical.)

So I hear that the WBRR has plenty of shoulder room. I have read the bars are 39.5 wide, or 35.5 wide with the 4" section removed. So that's 8.5" wider than my original BMBH, a good 27% wider! That is a LOT wider. No doubt this greatly increases the shoulder room, but shouldn't it also greatly increase tarp/bar contact problems? (In fact, I always guessed that is why JRB never responded to requests for a wider BMBH. Just because they made a decision about the trade off between bar width and tarp problems. But that was just me gueesing wild.)

Most likely I have just not read through all the threads on the WBRR, and I'm too lazy to search through them all to check it, but I have not seen a single complaint about the tarp situation. As I way more than once did see about the JRBs.

So, is there no longer a problem? And in fact, is the problem not actually worse? If not, why not?

Or maybe Brandon engineered some way around that? Wouldn't put it past him, that boy is smart. After all, he engineered the incredible multi-layer, removable layer, dif cut Climashield Yeti. Which very few of you are privileged to own, unlike me.

Or is it that almost every one is getting a big enough tarp from the get go and/or one designed with pull outs at the potential contact points, like WB's tarps meant for the WBRR?

Or is it that most every one is using one of Brandon's WBRR socks, and not worrying about any sort of storm pitch or wind blocking with whatever tarp they are using, and just pitching it wide enough? ( I'm guessing Brandon's tarps and/or socks is the main reason no complaints)

Or did I just miss the thread discussing this problem so often mentioned with the JRB bridges? I was kind of expecting to hear this problem mentioned, and was surprised when I did not.

Bottom line: are you WBRR guys having any tarp spreader bar issues and if so how are you dealing with them? All I can do until I get one is ask the users.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    im switching up to a 12 foot ridge line tarp,hammock gear.i use a spindrift, i hung on the top of bell mountain last weekend,28 degrees constant wind.i was warm as toast with just the spindrift,no tarp.i had the need to see the stars,but block the wind ,so i came up with this idea.i took the line holding the spindrift off letting the spindrift collapse on me head end only.i then unzipped the top of the zipper entry.i had to scoot over toward the door(altered comfort a little, but not much).i then zipped it back up with only my face sticking out ,the rest of me was wrapped in down and the spindrift.i felt like a king on that mountain with that view.the 20 degree lynx functioned very well,even in undies i felt no cold seeping in anywhere.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    My first hammock setup was the regular BMBH (the UL wasn't offered at that time) and the JRB 11x10 tarp. I had no problems with bar contact as long as my tarp was pitched high and wide. I never had that setup in stormy weather, however, which would have necessitated a closer pitch.

Shoulder squeeze became an issue for me, so I sold the BMBH and tried all sorts of gathered-end hammocks, and the BMBH UL when it came out. The UL still had unsat shoulder squeeze, and the gathered-ends had calf-ridge and hyperextension.

Enter the RidgeRunner. The RR solved all my comfort problems, and the Cloudburst tarp solves the problem of pole/tarp contact by having the panel pulls at the exact spots where the poles could contact. It is a little bit more work to get 4 more tie-out spots secured, but it is worth it to me. The end result is VERY spacious!

Because the CB tarp is made with the RR poles in mind, I can get quite a close pitch if needs be, with only the ends of the hammock/tarp slightly vulnerable. To address this, I use the Spindrift sock on my winter setup.

Another point - Brandon shows in his video a way to enter the RR without causing the hammock to swing up and contact the tarp. I use this method, and it works great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Boulderman; 11-22-2012 at 13:07.
    Potential is nothing without hard work.

The Superfly works great with the RR. I have not had any issues with the bars rubbing the tarp and I don't use the side pullouts. I also have the Spindrift but did not get a chance to use it with a tarp setup, (first attempt it got shredded by a tree) but it should not be a problem using with the superfly and I will give it another try tomorrow. I did have the Cloud burst and it was perfect for the RR but because of the straight sides it would not fit in the location in my backyard where I set up my hammocks so I returned it for the SD. The Toxaway works great but you do have to have it set up high and wide to avoid the bars so its perfect for fair weather.
    Since the RR is a shallower design then the BMBH, the hammock can be set lower to the ground. It makes the bars lower than the BMBH so they are at a wider area of your tarps.

I forgot to add.
    I did have the BMBH and the only downside for me was its coffin shape made for restricted air circulation and no view for me. The UL was sent back the same day I got it because of the floppy bug net.
    Last edited by spaceweaseal; 11-22-2012 at 13:12.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    FWIW...When ordering a WB hammock, take a look at the "Promotions" page for multi-item discounts. It can make the Cloudburst look even better.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    The tarp space issue is basically the only reason I haven't converted fulltime to the ridgerunner. Especially for me, where MrsMustardman and I like to hang together under the same tarp, it makes things more difficult with the RR.

That said, my wife and I have almost always been proponents of the large tarp, so getting coverage with many of our existing tarps is completely not an issue - it's just a question of how limited your pitching options will end up being. We've gotten used to pitching our tarps wide enough to cover two hammocks, so getting any one of them wide enough to cover the WBRR is easy by comparison. The only problem is losing the ability to hang side-by-side, which I love to do.

I think part of what you're noticing is that the forums in general have shifted very much in the direction of larger and larger tarps since the BMBH was first introduced. When the Jacks came out with their 11x10, it was basically the biggest hammock-specific tarp anyone sold. Then we added the designs like the Speer Winter Tarp, the Warbonnet mega-tarps with doors, the people like me who were doing custom 12x10s from OES, the gargantuan two-person Honeymoon Suite, and the many new tarp manufacturers who have come into the picture in the last few years, so much so that I can't keep them straight anymore. Nowadays, big tarps are definitely "in".

When everyone was using maccat standards and micros, and Hennessey diamond tarps, trying to cut grams from their packs, covering a bridge seemed impossible. Hammock forums has grown and attracted a lot more "mainstream" campers - the types who might only ever car camp, or who might backpack but bring along lots of creature comforts. The initial interest in hammock forums was in many ways driven by ultralight, long-distance hikers who moved away from whiteblaze, but there's a far more diverse group of hangers here nowadays, and I think you're seeing that shift in action here.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post

I think part of what you're noticing is that the forums in general have shifted very much in the direction of larger and larger tarps since the BMBH was first introduced. When the Jacks came out with their 11x10, it was basically the biggest hammock-specific tarp anyone sold. Then we added the designs like the Speer Winter Tarp, the Warbonnet mega-tarps with doors, the people like me who were doing custom 12x10s from OES, the gargantuan two-person Honeymoon Suite, and the many new tarp manufacturers who have come into the picture in the last few years, so much so that I can't keep them straight anymore. Nowadays, big tarps are definitely "in".

When everyone was using maccat standards and micros, and Hennessey diamond tarps, trying to cut grams from their packs, covering a bridge seemed impossible. Hammock forums has grown and attracted a lot more "mainstream" campers - the types who might only ever car camp, or who might backpack but bring along lots of creature comforts. The initial interest in hammock forums was in many ways driven by ultralight, long-distance hikers who moved away from whiteblaze, but there's a far more diverse group of hangers here nowadays, and I think you're seeing that shift in action here.
    I think you have hit it on the head. I have the JRB tarp, which is a rectangular 10X11. Appears to be the same size/weight as the Cloudburst or Superfly. Still, without side pull outs, I definitely had issues with the wind slamming the side into the bars and having a tight enough storm pitch to keep wind out of the ends. But with Grip Clip panel pulls, all of these issues were more than solved. I can actually close the ends for good wind block and still have plenty of bar clearance. Another great approach has been pitching the tarp as a Baker Hut with one side all the way to the ground to block wind, no pull outs needed with that pitch.

I think what I'm seeing relates to what you said. That is, most RR owners here are either starting with larger tarps and/or tie outs, or actually are starting with tarps designed for the wide RR bars from the get go.

Spaceweaseal, I can see that if the WBRR is more shallow than the BMBH deluxe- or my old model of BMBH - that it would effectively lower the bars a little bit and increase space for bars. But it doesn't seem like that would make a big difference, certainly not enough to make up for bars that are 8.5" wider. But maybe it does? Have you tried to use the S.Fly/RR combo in high winds or tried to close one of the ends, still with no bar contact?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Interesting observations on hammock trends, Mustardman!

With the sales going on right now, I'm so torn between going with a camo superfly or a beastly 12' OMW. Not to mention I got my RR at work today and forgot to bring it home!

Quote Originally Posted by ferret View Post
    With the sales going on right now, I'm so torn between going with a camo superfly or a beastly 12' OMW. Not to mention I got my RR at work today and forgot to bring it home!
    You can't go wrong with either tarp..
    I have had a OMW and it's a great tarp but I just prefer the SF..

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast