Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, jarbidge
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

to down or not

hey all. this will be my first winter hanging, and also the 1st around this part of BC ( Vernon ) and I am looking for a full length UQ. wanting some opinions from others in this part of the world on the DOWN VS MAN-MADE battle. I am used to dry Alberta winters and have been subjected to alot of rain here. Does the down hold up? is it worth the extra weight and bulkiness to go with an made? I KNOW its HYOH and all, was just looking for some real world experience. With the black friday deals coming, i thought it a good old topic to drag out for the weekend
    life time believer in the afternoon nap

" the Dude abides "

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    The Okanagan is the driest place in BC. That said you've had a really wet year. We've had the same never ending rain over in the Kootenays. Really with a good tarp and UQ protector from 2QZQ your fine. Even without the UQP. The longer your out in the winter the more of an issue it can become because of moisture accumulation in the quilt,,,but in the temps the Okanagan usually gets in winter if your going out for a few days you shouldn't have a problem. I would only consider synthetic if on the water. Full length synthetic is allot of bulk. Your big issue will be will you get much snow. Typically the OK doesn't get that much but who knows with the weather these days. You've probably done this but pull up a weather site for vernon and look at the winter normal temps for Nov to march.
    A O degree quilt will be tons or 20f degree with over stuff to get you to 10f Our winter lows are kind of in-between. Anyway good luck. Been thinking of a full length myself but going to stay with the winter yeti for now,,,,,,,i think (-;

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    When you are wet, no matter you are wet and cold. Ive had zero issue with down quilts even in the roughest weather 40mph winds, driving rain. A good tarp saves the day. After every trip I fluff my quilts with 3 tennis balls in the dryer on low/ medium temp. Good luck in your decision. I was once on the same fence post as you. I chose down and wont ever go back to synthetic. Its plush living in a hammock surrounded by down.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If you get wet, you're probably gonna get cold.

I was worried about the same thing. My first UQ was a synthetic one; however, it didn't pack down very well. I talked to some vendors & they commented that if you're under a tarp, your UQ will probably not get wet. Well that wasn't entirely true, because I've slept in clouds blowing in off the Puget Sound at elevation. But, I have several full length down UQ's now & I wouldn't go back to a synthetic or a partial length.

The down holds up well, as long as you keep them unpacked (like any good down sleeping bag) when not in use. I love my HG Incubator 0*s. I got canvas sacks on Amazon to store them in when not in use. (They're on sale till tomorrow too).

I did get a few of 2QZQs UQ Protectors & recommend them. Even if you don't have blowing rain, they still cut down on the wind blowing the heat away from your UQ. I think they'll add about 5* to your temperature rating.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM, WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, jarbidge
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    ya, wet and cold is a bad combo. I will grab a UQ protector, just debating which one to get. I broke down and went with the down pretty sure the 20* should be plenty for winters here, with my superfly and jarbidge for support . if not, there is always the sales next year
    life time believer in the afternoon nap

" the Dude abides "

• + New Posts