Banned
    Hammock
    ENO SN & WL LiteOwl

Two 40* Phoenix UQ for colder weather?

I'm getting some cold weather gear for my wife and me. We have 40* TQs and 3/4 UQs. I was wondering if I could get away with using two 40 UQs for me and just buying one 0* UQ for her. We've been out winter camping in single digits in a tent(so, we know what's involved), but never our hammocks. Thoughts?

I'm sure some folks with more experience than me will chime in, but it seems to me it would keep you warmer...but I'm not sure it would get you to 0. Based on the specs:

http://www.hammockgear.com/under-quilts/

...looking at the down weight, the 40* is 4 oz, 20 * is 8 oz, 0* is 12 oz. So, two 40*'s might only get you to 20 .

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Try to think more in terms of the amount of loft rather than the oz of fill. The challenge with stacking UQ's is not to compress the quilt in the middle of the insulation sandwich.

I think this year I will do some experimenting with stacking UQ's to improve my methods and prepare for the Mount Rogers Hang in Jan.

I'm thinking that done correctly (2) - 40* UQ's should get you well below 20* probably approaching 0* because you'd be in the 3"-4" range of loft.

David

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Instead of using two 40's IMHO I would supplement the UQ with a ccf pad. Using two UQ won't necessarily get you down to single digits. The problem you may encounter is the air gap between the two UQ. If you cinch the bottom one up to tight you'd compress the down of the UQ directly beneath you. Not tight enough then you may get to much air flow and get cold. Many UQ are differentialey cut so the down underneath you does not compress. Two UQ then the bottom one may compress the top one loosing heating capabilities. Hope that makes sense and helps
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My Incubator was overstuffed an ounce to theoretically get me to freezing. I've had it down to 23* and slept very warm. In fact I had to strip layers because I was warm. So if you do it right and have a good top quilt/sleeping bag to use as a quilt I think you'll be surprised how low you can go below the rated temp.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'd agree with the temps going lower on HG stuff. I use Incubators too, so I don't know if I'd quite be the same with a 3/4 UQ.

My buddy doubles up his two 2/3 UQs. The problem is again with compressing the second UQ with the first. If you offset them, like he did, then you only get the 40* coverage down to where the next one starts, then it's doubled up, until the legs. The other thing we noticed was that there was a slight gap where the one layed on top of the other. Think of 2 books, one just covering the spine of the next one. He decided to just use one of my Incubators for the next trip.

If you have some other way to keep your feet warm, then you could probably put one 40* directly over the top of the other (loosening the tension on the outside one, so that it doesn't compress the loft of the first one) and get down to 0*.

If you're not weight conscious, then just get a 0* Incubator for year round. Vent it a little in hotter weather.

Ultimately, with HGs sale for the next day, you couldn't go wrong with just getting two Incubator 0*s! Quite a deal for a top notch UQ!
    Last edited by Boomer; 11-23-2012 at 15:21.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I double up a three season Yeti and a 20* Incubator for winter use which works great, but being a cold sleeper and don't think two 40*s would keep me warm enough. You could use a pad, but they can be sweaty. Either way, buy your wife a nice toasty 0* UQ and yours will soon follow

• + New Posts