Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby

First family hangout: not a success

So, my family has heard me go ON about hammocks over the past several months. My wife has tolerated and even supported my attempts to get my hammock set up dialed in. My 13 year old son has enjoyed watching Fronkey videos with me. So far, so good.

Thanksgiving rolls around and we've been invited to my sisters place, along with some other family. Sleeping arrangements were going to be tight. I thought, why not bring our hammocks and my family can all hang in the basement? My son was extremely enthusiastic. My wife was game. I thought for sure that this was going to be THE moment where I was able to convert the entire family!

So, I get our two tablecloth hammocks set up in one section of the basement and the Hammock Bliss double set up in the other section. I get my son to lay down to see if it's hanging properly for him. He tells me repeatedly that it's good...he's really comfortable. OK (I believe) My plan is working! My son even kept visiting the hammock throughout the day...we had to remind him that we were visiting with family and that he really needed to be with the rest of the group.

Finally, it's time to go to sleep. It's been a long day. We're all stuffed from dinner and dessert. We get cleaned up and settled into the hammocks. Of course, I immediately fall asleep.

I wake up around 3AM to pee and I notice my wife's hammock is empty. I go to investigate and find her asleep on the couch. I then see my son laying down on the love seat. Turns out, neither could get comfortable enough to get to sleep and they bailed.

So much for my master plan to convert the household. I'll keep working on them, but it's now going to be more challenging. Oh well!

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Bruce

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Widerness Logics
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Good story thanks for sharing. Good luck next time!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    You tried! Don't give up yet though. It takes some people a bit of acclimating. And it doesn't hurt to have been hiking all day and be breathing the fresh outdoor air and hear the breeze move through the treetops... I think I'm getting sleepy
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WL Snipe/Modded ENO DN
    Tarp
    SOOPAFLY/WLTadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 3/4 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Straps or Whoopies
    I'm not a back sleeper normaly. So I agree with Mad777 some people need to acclimate . But being outdoors certainly helps! Do what I did and rig up a hammock in a comfortable room in your house. My wife started hanging out in it to read. And now she loves it and wants to camp in one. Almost have her talked into getting rid of the bed....almost
    Last edited by Trees4Me; 11-23-2012 at 10:46. Reason: Spelling
    "Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence."-Robert Frost

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    This past summer, my best friend who is a tarp ground dweller came up to visit/hike/camp.
    She contracted a pretty bad bug and was vomitting something terrible.

She had asked to use my hammock after breakfast.
    She never moved in it all day long. and....into the night.
    Because she was so sick, I offered to sleep in her set up on the ground as being on the ground was NOT appealing at this time.

She is now a convert to the hammock.

Quite stubborn, some are!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby
    Will definitely keep after the family. They wont have much choice but to be surrounded by hammocking doo dads and stories!

Yes, I can imagine a different sort of reaction after a nice long hike in the woods. I was actually expecting sort of the same sort of reaction post Thanksgiving meal..bellies full and tryptamine blood levels pegged.

I was hoping that my devilish plan would come together all at once... Instant conversion of the family to hangers!! (/dr. Evil cackle).

Bruce

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I'm in the same boat too. My grand son stayed with us yesterday and I have been sleeping in the hammock all week, he thought it was a neat idea and wanted to join me. We set up my Clark for him and he lounged around in the afternoon and went out several times to lay in it. When it came time to go to bed he stepped out on the porch and proclaimed it to be too cold, it was only 36*, and went to bed inside. I slept in the hammock again last night and was comfy as usual. He'll get there eventually.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Images
    In my 20's I used a fishnet hammock, CCF pad and SB when camping and had no issues falling asleep.
    Getting back into hammocking in my 50's I did experience the wonderful comfort of laying in one during the day but had issues falling asleep.

My own theory on this is the Inner Ear detects the slightest movement and when laying in a hammock any body movement cause a slight hammock swing.
    This movement will wake you or prevent you from falling asleep. Getting the body conditioned to this movement took me many nights hanging
    on the porch until I got comfortable with the movement.

Then there is the different sleeping position. We are creatures of habit and if you can't mimic your bedroom position you will have issues falling asleep.
    For me, I solved this issue by buying, trying and selling several hammocks until I could fine one that allowed me to sleep on my side which is what I do in my bed.

I hope these tips help you they worked for me.

Last edited by OutandBack; 11-23-2012 at 11:39.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Bruce,

It wasn't a complete failure as you got them to try it. I don't think anyone here was 100% happy with things right off the bat. Little tweaks here and there and it will fall in place.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    ...My own theory on this is the Inner Ear detects the slightest movement and when laying in a hammock any body movement cause a slight hammock swing.
    This movement will wake you or prevent you from falling asleep. Getting the body conditioned to this movement took me many nights hanging
    on the porch until I got comfortable with the movement...
    I thing that there is a flip side to that too. If I'm in a car, or especially a train, I fall asleep. So I took to a hammock very quickly, or I should say as soon as got my WBBB.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast