DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Poncho Liner Over Cover

Poncho Liner Over Cover

Some time past I was considering again my over cover, not the design, but the material. All of my previous over covers have been made from ripstop nylon, usually the 1.9 oz/sq yard variety since I can get it locally.

With a ripstop nylon over cover I have consistently measured a 10 degree F differential between the outside temperature and the temperature inside the hammock and over cover. This has always been with a Poncho liner under quilt and the GG pads laid on top of the poncho liner.

Well I was considering our second poncho liner some time past and wondered if there would a bigger temperature differential using the poncho liner as an over cover.

I use Wiggy's poncho liners simply because I obtained them when he was clearing out his stock and they were cheap. Also, because Wiggy's bags seem to have a good reputation.

Well, since my over covers are a simple rectangle and required no modifications to the poncho liner. The only changes were to sew 16 2" strips of the FreeMagic Velcro in strategic spots on the perimeter of the liner, 12 Bra hooks in strategic spots on the ends and cord loops on the ends. The integrity of the poncho liner was not altered in any way.

Here is what my ripstop over cover looks like on the outside with a poncho liner under quilt:

and on the inside:

I added the FreeMagic and Bra hooks to the second poncho liner and set it up over the hammock with a poncho liner under quilt and GG pads.

Climbed inside and the temperature immediately climbed and started geting downright warm.

I have only tried is once so far, but the results both subjectively and measured temperature differentials are encouraging. The temperature differentials I measured were between 15 degrees F and 20 degrees F depending on where I measured the inside temperature. Lower on the foot end than at waist height and above. Right at mid chest, the differential reached 20 degrees F.

This was with the outside temperatures in the high 30s and low 40s.

If the temperature differential holds for lower temperatures, say into the teens or single digits, then it may be worthwhile for me to consider using the poncho liner over cover at times.

Of course, the poncho as over cover does have a hefty weight penalty over the ripstop nylon, 1.5 lbs vs. about 9 oz. But for the teens or single digits, I may consider the weight penalty worth the warmth. Also, the poncho liner could be used as extra top cover if needed or as more insulation between me and the ground if needed or as simply a wrap around camp.

Simple caveat: I'm using the Wiggy's poncho liners with his Lamilite insulation. The results may differ for other poncho liners with polyester filling.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Wow! I knew an overcover would boost the internal temps, but 10 degrees is much more significant than I would have thought. Maybe it's time to get back to work on that warbonnet overcover that I've been struggling with. Thanks for the report TeeDee; good info!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Wow! I knew an overcover would boost the internal temps, but 10 degrees is much more significant than I would have thought. Maybe it's time to get back to work on that warbonnet overcover that I've been struggling with. Thanks for the report TeeDee; good info!
    I've experienced the very same results with the hammock socks that I use. The boost is certainly worth the added weight, IMO.

FWIW Cannibal, Brandon is working on an overcover for the BlackBird...I'll post pics as soon as it arrives.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    FWIW Cannibal, Brandon is working on an overcover for the BlackBird...I'll post pics as soon as it arrives.
    Yeah, I'm trying to beat him to the punch, but I haven't had any luck with the design after 3 different attempts. Guess I should just leave it to the master.

• + New Posts