Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dangerbird top cover/netting

Stupid question (maybe)
    I was originally under the impression that one could use either the top cover OR the bug netting but not both since they share the same zipper. But in looking at some photos, it appears that you can use both simultaneously. Any one known which way it is? Or is this a custom mod? It would be nice to use both, be able to have part of the cover open while still being bug free.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Artjrk View Post
    Stupid question (maybe)
    I was originally under the impression that one could use either the top cover OR the bug netting but not both since they share the same zipper. But in looking at some photos, it appears that you can use both simultaneously. Any one known which way it is? Or is this a custom mod? It would be nice to use both, be able to have part of the cover open while still being bug free.
    Not a stupid question at all. They do indeed run on the same zipper.
    Folks have done a 80/20 kinda thing where they've zipped the overcover up to their shoulders and then zipped the net down to meet it.

Two problems with this.
    #1 - While it's possible to get the 2 zippers fairly close, they still leave a little gap and forcing them any closer together puts strain on the zipper.

#2 - When the net & overcover are zipped this way, what to do with all the excess netting or overcover material?

Ok thanks for the info.

Here's a related question
    How feasible would it be to add a screened window opening to the top cover that can be zipper close. Similar to windows on tents.
    Life is Good!
    用心棒

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ok thanks for the info.

How feasible would it be to add a screened window opening to the top cover that can be zipper close. Similar to windows on tents.
    This seems like a pretty good idea. Maybe even just a couple of small screen "windows", so that some of the air can exchange & reduce condensation.

Anyone have experience with a 'breathable' fabric overcover, like momentum 50 vs. nylon?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    This seems like a pretty good idea. Maybe even just a couple of small screen "windows", so that some of the air can exchange & reduce condensation.

Anyone have experience with a 'breathable' fabric overcover, like momentum 50 vs. nylon?
    When the weather conditions are right for condensation I find that even netting does not breath enough to prevent it. When I was using a WBBB in winter it would snow on me every morning from the netting. Venting to open air has been the only way I've been able to eliminate a frosty morning.
    YMMV

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Ok thanks for the info.

Here's something similar....seems like a netting mod would be even easier.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...e.php?i=63&c=3

Miguel

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    This is rough and not completely thought through, but........

I'd like to try something like this (on the Darien UL). The overcover is sized exactly the same as the net. There is a strip of fabric approx 8-10" wide around all 4 sides with a shock cord channel to accommodate 1/16" shock cord. I'm not convinced yet that it would actually require the shock cord. Each of the 4 coners are overlapped forming a pocket. The end pockets fit over the hammock peaks, while the side pockets can hold a heavy item (shoe, water bottle, etc) to weigh the sides down. For windy/stormy weather, the side pockets would be fitted with a tie-out loop for cinching down a little more secure. The sides at the asym points could also be hooked to the UQ corners. This may actually help keep the UQ in the proper asym arrangement, but I don't know. The fabric strips along each side should open up enough to wrap around the edges of the hammock, sealing against cold drafts. There would be a Nanoseeum window at each end for ventilation, yet in a protected area so that a breeze can't easily get in.

The whole cover should be able to be built with 3yds of 60" wide fabric + a little nanoseeum & any hardware required.

The DangerBird overcover would need to be slightly different on the sides to accommodate the existing tie-outs on the hammock.

The name for this design?
    I'm thinking the Lunchlady - "sloppy joe, slop, sloppy joe"

Disclaimer - I haven't tried this exact design yet, just ran tests on a couple similar overcovers. This design is just sitting around on my to-do list.
    Last edited by PapaSmurf; 01-09-2013 at 12:06.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Or, what about a second double zipper system, parallel to the first? Then you could put the top cover partially open and have it zip up from either end?

Hammock
    DB 72
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    What would be the purpose of NOT having the overcover zipped all the way? The warm toasty air would break free!

To help regulate temperature. To see out and not let the bugs in. To see the Sun rise.
    Life is Good!
    用心棒

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast