Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dangerbird top cover/netting

Stupid question (maybe)
    I was originally under the impression that one could use either the top cover OR the bug netting but not both since they share the same zipper. But in looking at some photos, it appears that you can use both simultaneously. Any one known which way it is? Or is this a custom mod? It would be nice to use both, be able to have part of the cover open while still being bug free.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Artjrk View Post
    Stupid question (maybe)
    I was originally under the impression that one could use either the top cover OR the bug netting but not both since they share the same zipper. But in looking at some photos, it appears that you can use both simultaneously. Any one known which way it is? Or is this a custom mod? It would be nice to use both, be able to have part of the cover open while still being bug free.
    Not a stupid question at all. They do indeed run on the same zipper.
    Folks have done a 80/20 kinda thing where they've zipped the overcover up to their shoulders and then zipped the net down to meet it.

Two problems with this.
    #1 - While it's possible to get the 2 zippers fairly close, they still leave a little gap and forcing them any closer together puts strain on the zipper.

#2 - When the net & overcover are zipped this way, what to do with all the excess netting or overcover material?

Ok thanks for the info.

Here's a related question
    How feasible would it be to add a screened window opening to the top cover that can be zipper close. Similar to windows on tents.
    Life is Good!
    用心棒

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Or, what about a second double zipper system, parallel to the first? Then you could put the top cover partially open and have it zip up from either end?

Hammock
    DB 72
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    What would be the purpose of NOT having the overcover zipped all the way? The warm toasty air would break free!

To help regulate temperature. To see out and not let the bugs in. To see the Sun rise.
    Life is Good!
    用心棒

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I've also used the overcover partially zipped to take a daytime nap and keep the sun out of my eyes. As to what to do with the excess material, you can fold what's left of the overcover back on itself, and drape the mosquito netting over the top of it, securing the far tip with the velcro tab. That's why you designed it that way, right, Papasmurf?
    "Can't we all just live in trees and hammocks?"
    -- Sam Gribley, My Side of the Mountain

Hammock
    DB 72
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Artjrk View Post
    To help regulate temperature. To see out and not let the bugs in. To see the Sun rise.
    yikes, if it was still warm enough for bugs I would burn alive in a hammock with the overcover I would take a peak at the sun then flip around and sleep in "darkness"!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Throkda View Post
    I've also used the overcover partially zipped to take a daytime nap and keep the sun out of my eyes. As to what to do with the excess material, you can fold what's left of the overcover back on itself, and drape the mosquito netting over the top of it, securing the far tip with the velcro tab. That's why you designed it that way, right, Papasmurf?
    Yes, the velcro tabs are exactly for keeping the end of the net/overcover in place without having the zippers all the way up.

I almost never sleep with the overcover zipped all the way closed. For me, leaving a small open area at the end helps control condensation inside the hammock. Whatever extra fabric I have at the end just gets tucked up over the ridgeline and seems to stay out of the way pretty good.

Hammock
    DB68
    Tarp
    Still Deciding
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I just got back from a hunting trip where I took my DB68, HG Phoenix 20*, 2QZQ UQP. 19* on the 3rd day, snow on the second day, wind, rain, fog. I was using a Slumberjack 20* sythetic bag. No complaints until after I woke up with the overcover dripping on me. I spent the rest of my trip zipping my overcover to my chin and just zonking out. I use small rubber bands to hold my tree straps neatly coiled, and I think that if I partially zip the bugnet and then use the rubber bands to bind the netting together I can lay the bugnet over the overcover outside the hammock. I can zip the overcover to my chin, have a bit of a wind break from the bugnet, and sleep well. Did I foget to mention that I didn' use a tarp on this trip?

pat

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast