Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    I wasn't sure from the main image, but then I went digging into your gallery and that's what it looked like. thanks. How much weight do you think it added for you?
    It's not necessary, as you could just hem the edges. I'm just a big fan of grosgrain. I think it adds a level of durability to any project. Plus it looks nice. It doesn't weigh all that much, but yes, it will add a few grams to the weight. I just finished my DIY hammock with an integrated bugnet. I used grosgrain on both edges of that too. You can see details of it in the DIY section.
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Wilderness logics has black 1st for $7.50yd, I think. I wanting to make a large winter tarp and have been watching DIY GS to what colors in the 2nds, but nothing I am interested in. When I'm ready to make mine, I'll do another search for the fabric. It may be a few more weeks.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    Since you are so close, check these guys out:

http://www.srharrisfabric.com/about.html

They have sales once in a while too, so call and ask when. The good stuff for hammocks is located at the far end from the doorway. Go in just passed the first bunch of stuff and turn right before the checkout counter. It isn't a straight path but make your way to the far wall and look for the camo and other ripstop. Leave some for the rest of us!

Here is another source for 2nd.

http://owfinc.com/fabrics.html

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I made a tarp from 1st silnylon several years ago, and its been great--doesnt mist at all, very nice fabric. Last year I made a tarp from 2nds---it looks great but Ive had problems with it misting in heavy rain etc. (even after spraying it with silicon spray several times) I'm thinking that in the future, Im going to spend the little extra it takes to buy 1st silnylon---in the long run, it will be a better deal! (has anyone else had a similar experience?)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Interestingly, on occasion in very hard rains I have noticed it also on my tarp made of 2nd's.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Considering what it costs to buy 2 or 3 cans of silicon spray, I think it would have been about the same cost to by 1st quality silnylon!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    HH Exp Deluxe / DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJJ View Post
    Since you are so close, check these guys out:

http://www.srharrisfabric.com/about.html

They have sales once in a while too, so call and ask when. The good stuff for hammocks is located at the far end from the doorway. Go in just passed the first bunch of stuff and turn right before the checkout counter. It isn't a straight path but make your way to the far wall and look for the camo and other ripstop. Leave some for the rest of us!
    I second SR Harris. I purchased 4yds of 1.9oz ripstop for a hammock, 4yds of 1.1oz ripstop for quilts and some mesh for the baffles in the quilts and paid approx $50. They had lots of camo in various types (digital and standard). When you walk in the door go to the far right hand corner. On the right side of the horizontal rack against the north wall. I had a tough time finding the ripstop nylon, I had 2 associates helping me look.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I second (third? fourth? ah, whatever...) DIY Gear Supply. I made my asym tarp and poncho/undercover out of their 30d olive brown, and I was very pleased with the stuff. It's held up under monsoon-level downpours (on my very first trip with it, no less!) and tropical-storm-force winds without complaint.

At ~$9.00 a yard, it's not as cheap as their seconds (~$5.50), but it was the color I wanted (olive brown). Which was what really drove my purchase.

For ~$72.00 plus shipping (~$44.00 with seconds), you can get enough for your tarp plus a stuff sack or so. Which is cheap for a full-sized tarp that weighs in the 12-oz range.

A photo of my set-up with the tarp and poncho/undercover:

"Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12