BB 1.7DL w/dutch
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    HG TOP&BOTTOM
    Suspension
    DUTCH & WHOOPIES
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunbiz View Post
    Just a quick hello to everybody here... I hope all of you ate way too much and have survived Black Friday.

Just a little about me... I started hanging from trees about 5 years ago. And actually the reason why I got involved with hammock camping is I was doing a lot of kayak fishing.
    And there were many times the places I wanted to camp you couldn't put a tent or a sleeping bag down, because the ground was either wet or too rocky.

And on top of that when you could find a campground they wanted an arm and a leg For the night because I had a kayak.

Well needless to say I found Hennessy hammocks and I was in heaven.I've done many two and 3 weekers down on the Everglades.
    And when Wilma came through and took the top of my condo off, I took my kayak and hammock and lived on the river for a couple months until all was okay.
    I'm in South Florida so a lot of the stuff you guys talk about as far as cold weather camping is something I know very little about.

But if you want to know about how to keep the skeeters from sucking every last drop of blood you have, well now that's something I know about.
    So again just a quick hello to say howdy and I hope to learn a whole bunch from you all.
    Mike
    Mike,
    hey from palm beach.... PLEASE share your secret on those blood suckers...Also please let me know if you have some cool hang spots that I can take my son to... Been in Palm beach for only 3 years and would love to find some great spots in south florida..
    thanks
    Dean

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    DYNEEMA FIBER
    Insulation
    WL 20* TC & 20* BC
    Welcome form the land of wind, Oklahoma.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ-Leighlo TQ
    Suspension
    AWS

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by docterusa View Post
    Mike,
    hey from palm beach.... PLEASE share your secret on those blood suckers...Also please let me know if you have some cool hang spots that I can take my son to... Been in Palm beach for only 3 years and would love to find some great spots in south florida..
    thanks
    Dean
    Hey Dean... up your way there's a terrific place to camp with your son it's called Manatee Hammock Campground.

I don't know how old your son is but this is a great place to start and learn the art of hanging in a great setting. Go check that link I think you'll like it.

When you both get more experienced then sky's the limit down in the Everglades. But I suggest you don't do the Glades till you feel very confident in your skills.
    Lots of things to get you down there... huge gators, huge anacondas, and of course our friend Skeeter.

You're never ever going to win the battle against biting insects down here because we have no see um's, sand fleas, biting black flies, gnats, and love bugs.
    The number 1 rule for hammock's down here is to make sure you always have an UC on your hammock. You don't need anything in there like a pad or space blanket because it's warm. But the undercover will assure you won't get bit and let me tell you it sure makes them angry they can't get to you.

Some guys spray their hammocks with chemicals like permethrin, but I don't. Instead I use the wind. And you'll find in South Florida the wind always comes up late in the evening. Wind= no skeeters.

So when picking your campsite make sure you're getting a good movement of air, preferably right off to sea.

Whatever you do, do not use DEET. That stuff will put a hole in your hammock and turn you into a cast member of the "Walking Dead".
    If you must put something on your legs and arms use something like "Skin so Soft".
    When you do go camp, please let me know how it was.
    There's nothing quite so lovely as swinging in your hammock, looking at the stars and listening to the gentle sound of the waves hitting the shore.

Paradise!
    Mike

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY

Talking

Thanks for the nice welcome guys!

Wow it seems a lot of you are down this way...cool

@JayS... Nope not in 1 million years. I was born and raised in Hawaii, lived in Arizona and Florida and the closest thing I get to freezing temperatures is when I open my freezer to get ice cubes

@Chopper... Try the Oleta River in North Miami Beach... good fishing and lots of places to hang.
    I will check it out
    Thanks

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Welcome from Gainesville!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Wash & HR
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Welcome from Upstate NY!

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Welcome to the forums, from Louisville, Kentucky.

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Welcome from Boston.. by way of Sarasota and West Palm.
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    BB 1.7DL w/dutch
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    HG TOP&BOTTOM
    Suspension
    DUTCH & WHOOPIES
    Hey Dean... up your way there's a terrific place to camp with your son it's called Manatee Hammock Campground.

I don't know how old your son is but this is a great place to start and learn the art of hanging in a great setting. Go check that link I think you'll like it.

When you both get more experienced then sky's the limit down in the Everglades. But I suggest you don't do the Glades till you feel very confident in your skills.
    Lots of things to get you down there... huge gators, huge anacondas, and of course our friend Skeeter.

You're never ever going to win the battle against biting insects down here because we have no see um's, sand fleas, biting black flies, gnats, and love bugs.
    The number 1 rule for hammock's down here is to make sure you always have an UC on your hammock. You don't need anything in there like a pad or space blanket because it's warm. But the undercover will assure you won't get bit and let me tell you it sure makes them angry they can't get to you.

Some guys spray their hammocks with chemicals like permethrin, but I don't. Instead I use the wind. And you'll find in South Florida the wind always comes up late in the evening. Wind= no skeeters.

So when picking your campsite make sure you're getting a good movement of air, preferably right off to sea.

Whatever you do, do not use DEET. That stuff will put a hole in your hammock and turn you into a cast member of the "Walking Dead".
    If you must put something on your legs and arms use something like "Skin so Soft".
    When you do go camp, please let me know how it was.
    There's nothing quite so lovely as swinging in your hammock, looking at the stars and listening to the gentle sound of the waves hitting the shore.

Paradise!
    Mike
    Thank you Mike..
    will be going there soon.. Looks awesome....
    Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ-Leighlo TQ
    Suspension
    AWS
    I appreciate all the "howdy do's"...thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast