WB Traveler 1.7 SL, WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, MacCat
    Insulation
    HG 40,20 Leighlo20
    Suspension
    whoop slings/hooks

Will i be warm

Ok so i have a 20 degree leighlo underquilt (which i wont mention just doesn't seem substantial enough to be that warm but we will see) and i cut a square off of a blue CCF pad. I also have a 30* sleeping bag as a top quilt that i have used before and am happy with. Basically, with this setup, would you be warm do in the 20s? obviously the right clothing will be key to get down to lower temps but i am thinking about a mid march start for an AT thru and i want to be warm at the beginning. I know temps can even get down to the teens so...i'm a little worried. I sleep hot and stuff and obviously this is a subjective thing but with these numbers and temperature ratings how would you do?

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Me? Yes. You? Maybe.

Only way to know for sure is to get outside and test your gear. You shouldn't be using anything for the first time your first day on the trail. Test your gear in colder temps and worse weather than you expect.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    Me? Yes. You? Maybe.

Only way to know for sure is to get outside and test your gear. You shouldn't be using anything for the first time your first day on the trail. Test your gear in colder temps and worse weather than you expect.
    what he said...i can take my gear down to its rating in my underwear.i would trust this because ive experimented in a controled situation close to my car for safety.i eat a chunk of cheese before bed to fuel the stove for the night.learn hanging skills to be out of wind, well fed ,learn to dry gear.warmth is not universal ,what works for me might freeze you.dry your clothes before you try to sleep in them,i feel most are cold because they sleep in the same clothes they hike in making them deal with a wet layer, robbing their body heat trying to evaperate their sweat layer.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Me? Probably not. I'm a hot sleeper at home and a cold sleeper in the woods. I'd want my UQ and TQ to surpass the temps expected, and not push their limits or mine.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Darwin S and A View Post
    Ok so i have a 20 degree leighlo underquilt (which i wont mention just doesn't seem substantial enough to be that warm but we will see) and i cut a square off of a blue CCF pad. I also have a 30* sleeping bag as a top quilt that i have used before and am happy with. Basically, with this setup, would you be warm do in the 20s? obviously the right clothing will be key to get down to lower temps but i am thinking about a mid march start for an AT thru and i want to be warm at the beginning. I know temps can even get down to the teens so...i'm a little worried. I sleep hot and stuff and obviously this is a subjective thing but with these numbers and temperature ratings how would you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    Me? Yes. You? Maybe.

Very well said!

Unless you know you are a pretty warm sleeper outdoors, well hydrated and well fed and going to bed warm and in good condition, you are - as you mentioned - probably going to need a fair amount of warm clothing to push a 30F bag to 20F.

And are you going to be zipped up in that bag using it's hood and/or neck collars, or are you going to use it quilt style? If the latter, just beware of drafts, especially if you thrash much in your sleep. You must be draft free or you will freeze. You must get a good "seal" around your neck, especially going to 20 in a 30F bag used as a quilt.

As for your UQ which does not seem substantial enough to you for 20, measure the single layer loft. Is it at least 2.5" thick, or maybe 3" at the peaks? Then with a perfect snug fit, not tight enough to compress loft, and NO drafts, then it would keep the average person warm at 20F. But will it keep YOU warm?

And is that pad for your legs and feet, or is it going under your torso? If under your torso, and unless it is wide enough to mess up the fit and draft worthiness of your UQ, it will add a huge boost to your warmth. If you are inside a synthetic bag, or wearing thick layers of fleece or other synthetic, you will get some additional back warmth boost. How much is hard to say.

Don't forget hot water bottles as a back up life saver. Just make sure they will not leak.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Tough to answer that....your gonna have to test and see and feel for yourself.
    Then once you do you will trust your UQ and such.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 SL, WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, MacCat
    Insulation
    HG 40,20 Leighlo20
    Suspension
    whoop slings/hooks
    I know GUYS!!! You have to test your gear first. I just want to have the the right setup to test first. So i asked how other would do in this setup. Thanks all for your advice. I know it is subjective, just wondering how you would do with all your ample hammock experience. also, i love when shug answers my questions, its like talking to a celebrity.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight / eno single
    Tarp
    HH Hex / OMW
    Insulation
    JRB MW4 / JRB sniv
    Images
    I agree with testing the gear in the conditions you will encounter to ensure you can push the 30* bag and UQ down into the 20* range.. Once you have that chill, it is hard to shake so I would push the gear to the limits of comfort in an area that will not expose you to dangerous conditions and then gear up for the conditions you would experience based on the testing.
    When asked why I sleep with my shoes on? I don't need to out run a bear, just need to out run my camp mates.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    OK then....more specific. I would want a 20º bag on top in 20º weather as that is where I usually get any wee morning chill....on top. Being cold night after night in the mountains in March would make the winter start on the AT a drag.
    Really though....I would more than likely carry a 0º TQ for the teens or below.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    +1 on what everyone else said. I bet the quilt is substantial enough but I am biased I would suggest a decent sized pad to start your trip. If the temps drop below your comfort level put it under your torso for an instant temp boost. I always have a torso size pad for emergencies even when I use a full length quilt.

Only way to know is to test with a bail out plan.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast