WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Yet another great illustration. Thanks for creating and sharing!
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    DANGIT, MAN.

Right when I think I've got my tarp suspension figured out. What I really like about this is that it's still super easy to set up and adjust, but there're no prussics to slip and/or bind up. And it gives me a nice line over the tarp to hang my "holy crap, I lost my hammock in the night" light, AKA a Dutch Light. LOL.

Thank you, good sir, for giving me another afternoon to fiddle with the freaking setup. XD

Hammock
    SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various
    This is a great idea! I think this will make setting up my tarp much simpler.

I also love your book. This thread reminded me to order another one for a friend that is just starting to get into hammock camping.

Images
    I like it a lot. Would I be correct in assuming, the critical part here is to get your fixed end set at the right spot on your hammock before you get the adjustable side set? It looks like in your demo, you may have been a little short on yours, not criticizing, just making note. After you set the Dutch hook, it's really no longer adjustable like a tarp on prussicks. Is that correct or did I miss something?

swank

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Great idea dejoha... and as usual fantastic easy to understand illustrations.

Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    I like it a lot. Would I be correct in assuming, the critical part here is to get your fixed end set at the right spot on your hammock before you get the adjustable side set? It looks like in your demo, you may have been a little short on yours, not criticizing, just making note. After you set the Dutch hook, it's really no longer adjustable like a tarp on prussicks. Is that correct or did I miss something?

swank
    I could be wrong here but it seems that it is adjustable because only the dutch hook is attached to the tarp, so when you pull the line or the tarp from the Flyz side you can easily adjust the position of the tarp.

I think the best thing about this is that you are guaranteed a tight pitch without fiddling because the tarp will always be as tight as the rl.
    As far as I can see the only down side is that if the tarp stretches your rl will slacken also... luckily it seems extremely easy to adjust even from under the tarp in foul weather.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I think it's still adjustable Swankfly. The first tree acts as a pulley wheel.

This is impressive Dejoha! I've been trying to get rid if my Klemheist/Prusic knots for a long time. I think this is my new tarp suspension system!

I would need 36' of line for a 20' tree spacing assuming 18" diameter trees.
    Last edited by MAD777; 12-03-2012 at 15:30.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I think it's still adjustable Swankfly. The first tree acts as a pulley wheel.

This is impressive Dejoha! I've been trying to get rid if my Klemheist/Prusic knots for a long time. I think this is my nee tarp suspension system!

I would need 36' of line for a 20' tree spacing assuming 18" diameter trees.
    I see what you are saying now, but as soon as the flyz is looped there is no more adjustability right. In order to adjust, you would undo the flyz, and either pull the ridgeline or the tarp to get it centered, right? That would be a lot easier than adjusting both prussicks...

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    I see what you are saying now, but as soon as the flyz is looped there is no more adjustability right. In order to adjust, you would undo the flyz, and either pull the ridgeline or the tarp to get it centered, right? That would be a lot easier than adjusting both prussicks...
    Correct! Mostly...

With the Dutch Hook clipped to the tarp tie-out and not the ridgeline, it does act as a sort of "pulley" allowing you to easily pull the tarp into position and center as necessary.

They key point: Don't tightly tension the Tarp Flyz until _after_ you've adjusted the position of the tarp. Once the Tarp Flyz is hooked taut, it is difficult to move.

If you loosely tag the Tarp Flyz, you should be able to slide the tarp back and forth to adjust.

What I love about the Tarp Flyz vs. Prusik-type knots is that it is so much easier to tighten and loosen the Tarp Flyz, especially with that small line. Small Prusik's on that small line tend to jam.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast