Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Since I referenced this setup several times and never thanked you I thought I should.

Thank you for this great setup.

I tried this with a key ring and Tarp Flyz on both of my tarps. I mangled one of the rings on the first time tensioning it, so I swapped the ring out for a continuous loop of lash-it that I spliced in place through both the tarp tie-out and the Tarp Flyz. It works great, can't be lost and has less chance of snagging on my tarp in the stuff sack.

Thanks again
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doogie View Post
    Since I referenced this setup several times and never thanked you I thought I should.

Thank you for this great setup.

I tried this with a key ring and Tarp Flyz on both of my tarps. I mangled one of the rings on the first time tensioning it, so I swapped the ring out for a continuous loop of lash-it that I spliced in place through both the tarp tie-out and the Tarp Flyz. It works great, can't be lost and has less chance of snagging on my tarp in the stuff sack.

Thanks again
    You're welcome! I'm glad it's working for you. I switched out to continuous loops of lash-it as well. Only a few split key rings are strong enough. I have one tarp that still uses a ring. I believe Paul at AHE sells stronger split key rings. In any case, the lash-it line works great and it's a little quicker to switch tarps and a little lighter too

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 40

Small double end stuff sacks

Love this set up.... where can you can get the small double ended stuff sacks for the tarp?

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    A lot of people make their own. Check out the DIY forum and search for "Bishop".

Jacks-R-Better also has one available for purchase here
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 40
    Thanks Doogie!

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    I'm a stickler for keeping my gear off the ground -- hammock and tarp -- so I prefer set-ups that allow me to pack up quickly and without ground interference.

It helps to have a double-sided stuff sack, Bishop bag, or even skins to make packing easier, although it is possible with a regular stuff sack.

With a double-sided sack or bishop bag your sack should still be attached to the end of the tarp where the Dutch hook is connected (or one mini carabiner, depending on which version you're referring to).

Unhook the side opposite the stuff sack -- this would be the DutchWare Stingerz/Tarp Flyz end -- and begin stuffing into the stuff sack.

By leaving this one side attached, you can pull against this "anchor" as you stuff, which keeps the anchored side off the ground (like having a second pair of hands).

I'll see about creating a follow-up video to show how this is done. Stay tuned.
    I love this rigging, your video, the diagram and all the explanation. Just got me a brand new Cuben Fiber Tarp from HG. Love it but it does not stuff well. It likes to be folded or rolled. Have been using skins with my prusik setup on a continuous ridgeline but share your opinion that they can be a pain. On the plus side for skins it lets the tarp be hung and ready to be deployed if you need it. Otherwise they are a pain. So any suggestions relative to your setup, the bishop bag and folding of the cuben fiber? Thank you for your great work.

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zenmystic View Post
    Love this set up.... where can you can get the small double ended stuff sacks for the tarp?
    jacksrbetter.com

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrToot View Post
    Otherwise they are a pain. So any suggestions relative to your setup, the bishop bag and folding of the cuben fiber? Thank you for your great work.
    I've got a cuben tarp as well and they do not stuff well. You can still use a double-sided stuff sack, but the process is different. Maybe not as fast, just different.

I follow the these steps for folding a tarp in the field:

1. Leave the tarp attached to one side (the side with the stuff sack). This gives you a "second hand" to hold the tarp as you work the other end.

2. Holding the loose end, grab the center of the tarp and fold it in half along the ridge line.

3. Continue folding the tarp along the ridge line until you are left with the fabric at the width of the stuff sack.

4. Roll the the tarp up toward the stuff sack and stuff.

I hope this helps!

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    Will the WB SF fit in a JRB small double ended stuff sack? or best to get a medium?
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Your work is so helpful, dejoha.

Hope to finish my DIY cuben tarp today and reading above how to handle it is just right. Thank you very much!

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast