Tarp
    BMJ Spinn.& DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Wink Windy and chilly night out......

I decided to take advantage of the day after Thanksgiving to go up to Raven Cliffs again, this time as a solo hang just to get away. The wind was blowing and by the time I arrived the clouds rolled in and a drizzle started and then a light rain fell while setting up. I sat in the hammock for half an hour then the rain quit and the clouds parted just before dark. I got a fire going and had dinner but never really got warmed up again before finally turning in. The wind would come in from different directions, and gust so hard the crinkle of the Mambajamba Spinn tarp would flatten on the netting of the Blackbird and wake me. The chill that I got was not like any before, I have 2 extra ounces on both top and bottom quilts and even adjusted up tight, the wind would seep in the bottom at times. The solution for this is to send my other tarp to 2QZQ for a door install on both ends after this chilly experience, and get an Underquilt protector for the Incubator! I've hung in colder temperatures before, but the dampness from the creek and rapids next to me and the wind took their toll on comfort away from em for the first time. Hopefully, this will do the trick!
    LB

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It is always colder by the water and the wind will get ya' and rob some heat from the UQ's.
    Tarp doors and a smart pitch helps keep the wind out and a UQ Protector is wonderful to bring when you know it is forecast to be blustery on your trip.
    That is tarp life.....
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Glad you were able to get out. That's a nice spot to hang in. +1 on the UQ protector. I'm about to order mine and look forward to testing it out.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Sorry you got cold. + 1 on the UQP. Definately helps with wind.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    diy,SB,WB
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    HG , Diy
    Suspension
    Whoopassees
    I had to pull your UQ back under you during the SC fall hang(you were sound asleep). You may have been cold because I wasn't there to fix your UQ for you. Just say en.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LazyBee View Post
    I decided to take advantage of the day after Thanksgiving to go up to Raven Cliffs again, this time as a solo hang just to get away. The wind was blowing and by the time I arrived the clouds rolled in and a drizzle started and then a light rain fell while setting up. I sat in the hammock for half an hour then the rain quit and the clouds parted just before dark. I got a fire going and had dinner but never really got warmed up again before finally turning in. The wind would come in from different directions, and gust so hard the crinkle of the Mambajamba Spinn tarp would flatten on the netting of the Blackbird and wake me. The chill that I got was not like any before, I have 2 extra ounces on both top and bottom quilts and even adjusted up tight, the wind would seep in the bottom at times. The solution for this is to send my other tarp to 2QZQ for a door install on both ends after this chilly experience, and get an Underquilt protector for the Incubator! I've hung in colder temperatures before, but the dampness from the creek and rapids next to me and the wind took their toll on comfort away from em for the first time. Hopefully, this will do the trick!
    LB
    Glad you made it OK Lazybee. Wet And cold And windy - now That is a challenge. Looks like your solutions will do the trick
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    It is always colder by the water and the wind will get ya' and rob some heat from the UQ's.
    Tarp doors and a smart pitch helps keep the wind out and a UQ Protector is wonderful to bring when you know it is forecast to be blustery on your trip.
    That is tarp life.....
    Shug
    Could have used this important info a few days ago as well.
    We got a might cold hanging by a windy river last night as well.
    Sorry not meaning to jackknife your thread but I'm going to borrow this wealth of knowledge also.

Images
    I think I was one of the 1st UQ protector users. At least sort of. Maybe not an UQP but a UPP. Middle P for HH pad. A wide open foam pad that you could breath through with ease. But I was very blessed one super windy night right by the lake under the little diamond HH tarp, with the wind coming straight in the foot end off of the lake spitting distance away. Did not realize how blessed I was until quite a bit later. That sil-nylon HH under cover did a fine job of keeping the wind out. Except for the irritating tarp/wind noise, I never even new it was windy!

So here is kudos to UQ protectors of various types!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-25-2012 at 23:25.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0DL,1.7, WBRR DL, BIAS Micro
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    40*HG PX, 20HG 10D
    Suspension
    WB straps, whoopie

lazybee

Hope you get warm soon.
    "you will never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
    Winston Churchill

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    I just hung the other night in a Hammock Gear 0 degree UQ and I felt some cold spots! Part of it was the wind because I didn't have my tarp right. The other problem was air pockets between the UQ and the hammock; I've decided to fix that with shock cord, cord locks and mitten hooks on two "D" rings on my Hammock Gear Underquilts; they'll pull the UQ tight to to the bottom without pulling it too tight. You may want to consider the same. I too am thinking abut the UQ protector. That wind robs a lot of warmth!

God Bless
    Gideon

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast