Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Clark
    Suspension
    Webbing and chain

Cool Need a "weathershield" or "overcover" for my WBRR - who can make the mod for me?

Hey folks,

I have rolled with a Clark NX-250 for several years and have loved my rig. I have done a fair amount of adverse weather camping in the Cascade Mountains. I have found a big benefit to the Clark's Weathershield zip closure and how it will raise the ambient temp in my hammock. However I really want to get a bridge style hammock for its professed flat lay benefits. I believe the WBRR is the hammock of choice. Could anyone do a custom mod for me by adding a zip-in nylon closure layer in addition to the factory zip-in bug net?

I think Dream Hammocks recognizes the benefits of an overcover for 4-season hammocks, but they don't offer a bridge. Also I am not inclined or skilled for doing this myself. ALL of your suggestions or questions are welcome...

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    Brandon sells a Spindrift that fully encloses the RidgeRunner hammock; here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EytGtP69LkI

The Spindrift is available at the Warbonnet Outdoors website, here: http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/rid...r-accessories/

I'm not visualizing how you would add a zip-in layer in addition to the bug net that already zips in there, which may be why I think this might be what you are looking for. Is it?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieK View Post
    Hey folks,

I have rolled with a Clark NX-250 for several years and have loved my rig. I have done a fair amount of adverse weather camping in the Cascade Mountains. I have found a big benefit to the Clark's Weathershield zip closure and how it will raise the ambient temp in my hammock. However I really want to get a bridge style hammock for its professed flat lay benefits. I believe the WBRR is the hammock of choice. Could anyone do a custom mod for me by adding a zip-in nylon closure layer in addition to the factory zip-in bug net?

I think Dream Hammocks recognizes the benefits of an overcover for 4-season hammocks, but they don't offer a bridge. Also I am not inclined or skilled for doing this myself. ALL of your suggestions or questions are welcome...
    I'm not sure how Brandon at Warbonnet handles custom orders, but maybe he could make a ridge runner hammock with fabric instead of netting. Worth an email to him at least.

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Clark
    Suspension
    Webbing and chain
    ChacMool - thanks for the suggestion, I watched your video link, great point, not sure about having both Spindrift and tarp. In the Pacific Northwest - as YOU know - we get a lot of rain and I have spent many hikes / hunts cooking my meals next to my hammock under my tarp. With the Clark, I can quickly, open the Weathershield partially or fully to vent, and open or close the bug net independently. Many a night I have had the bug net closed with the Weathershield partially open. The chilled weather often does not deter the mosquito.

Barhetta - I will email and ask. That thought never occurred to me. Having both is quite common on most tents (and a few hammocks)

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    Eddie -- I came across another you tube video (see below), one of several by Tinny (in Maine) reviewing his RR and Spindrift. For the reasons you mention, he uses RR's bugnet inside the Spindrift, a very simple mod. Another video shows Tinny's RR under a Cloudburst tarp; others here have used a pole mod to widen out a Superfly or other tarp. I believe people can order Spindrift with two doors, not just the (standard) single one, which should improve its ventilation a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCj2BXa8B0g

Let us know what Brandon says about your suggested mod, what you eventually decide, and how it works out for you. [I particularly like my RR for its view of the stars and meteor showers, so don't have a Spindrift -- and I've never seen a Clark in person.]

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Clark
    Suspension
    Webbing and chain
    Brandon responded: "This is basically what the Spindrift is, it does a little more than a topcover does in that it also protects the bottom of the hammock (from wind/water) and gives a temp boost to your underquilt/pad as well, while a topcover only boosts interior temp and doesn't boost your bottom insulation at all. The Spindrift is a super popular accessory for the RR for all those reasons, you also have the option of having the RR netting deployed inside the spindrift or rolling the netting up and using the spindrift without having to mess with the netting. Brandon"

So no answer to custom work but I will assume that's not really an option. I now can certainly see the benefits of the Spindrift. I don't see getting over having a big, loose, floating bag for my system...wind, noise, etc., but that is my limitation not the product.

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Brandon responded: "This is basically what the Spindrift is, it does a little more than a topcover does in that it also protects the bottom of the hammock (from wind/water) and gives a temp boost to your underquilt/pad as well, while a topcover only boosts interior temp and doesn't boost your bottom insulation at all. The Spindrift is a super popular accessory for the RR for all those reasons, you also have the option of having the RR netting deployed inside the spindrift or rolling the netting up and using the spindrift without having to mess with the netting. Brandon"

So no answer to custom work but I will assume that's not really an option. I now can certainly see the benefits of the Spindrift. I don't see getting over having a big, loose, floating bag for my system...wind, noise, etc., but that is my limitation not the product.

This is a possible solution to the bolded part. You can use this to stabilize/guy out the spin-drift to alleviate the loose fabric/wind noise issue. ( i have not used the product but looks cool)

http://dutchwaregear.com/clip-on-tarp-pull-outs.html

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Get the two door Spindrift for better ventilation when you want it. The top of the Spindrift is fitted and under tension from shock cords just like the net is and isn't really a big, loose bag. The bottom is loose just like an UQ protector.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WBCB with door kit
    ChacMool - thanks for the suggestion, I watched your video link, great point, not sure about having both Spindrift and tarp. In the Pacific Northwest - as YOU know - we get a lot of rain and I have spent many hikes / hunts cooking my meals next to my hammock under my tarp. With the Clark, I can quickly, open the Weathershield partially or fully to vent, and open or close the bug net independently. Many a night I have had the bug net closed with the Weathershield partially open. The chilled weather often does not deter the mosquito.

Barhetta - I will email and ask. That thought never occurred to me. Having both is quite common on most tents (and a few hammocks)
    Hey Eddie. I used the Spindrift over my RR with a tarp on a recent 6 state back roads moto-camping trip. Everything worked great. The tarp caught a lot of the moisture in the air and the Spindrift took care of keeping me dry in the humid conditions under the tarp. I got by camping in 31 degree weather with a zero degree down sleeping bag, an r5 pad and the Spindrift. No underquilt was needed, I was quite comfortable. The first two pics I was holed up at a campground during a day of rain, and the other pics were at 10,000 ft elevation where it was 31 degrees.

Last edited by TxTiger; 02-24-2015 at 13:40.

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Clark
    Suspension
    Webbing and chain
    TxTiger - there is NO substitute for the "been there" photos, thanks for posting. Would you agree that the SpinDrift can be tied down and secured so that you don't get flapping with every breeze? Perhaps using shock cord so as to flex with the hang of your RR?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast