Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies

Sock entry and material questions

Now that the RAD Lab is fully operational I'm about to make a sock to go with the Black Hole (M50 single layer).

My questions are, what is the difference between a SEEP entry and a top entry i.e the TED net? Are there any instructions anywhere for a SEEP?

And second which is the better material to use, DWR ripstop or pure finish? I have some 1.1 DWR ripstop and some 1.0 pure finish. I know the pure finish will help more with condensation but will it provide adequate wind protection vs the DWR ripstop?
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Bump. Surely someone has an opinion on this...
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    DIY 11 footers
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE and GoLite
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch
    Images
    I would go with DWR.

For construction of the socks, I have just taken existing designs and figured out how I could best accomplish the task....does that sound weird?

The SEEP has a portal on the side with a flap window that you use for entry/exit.

The TED style has a top that is not sewn together, but secured with channeled shock cord. You just reach up and pull the fabric down to get in/out, then let go of the fabric and it snaps back up toward your ridgeline, leaving a small gap where the "walls" meet.

Even simpler is bottom entry that you can draw closed.

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Don't forget the open end tube designs (ala pappa smurf and others). I am new to socks, but am really liking them. I made mine with a 1.1 DWR ripstop bottom half and a "8d" (now nobul 1) top half.
    I love being able to slide it up or back according to the temps. Keeping my head out is a nice touch. It stores at the end of the hammock when not needed and can be deployed easily.
    Jason

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Having done several socks out of different materials, I'm going to make the next one(s) with the open end tube design. I've done mine with the Fronkey style bug net and they work great, just a PIA to set up and run the whoopies/ridge line through. Only takes a few minutes, but extra work is extra work.
    I like the option of covering or not. Easy to pull up the cover late at night when it gets colder. Same with the bug nets.
    I've done Taselite Camo, Polyester Fabric, 1.1 Silnylon & 1.0 ACU Digital Camo and it's the one I like the best. The sil is next in line.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by priller View Post
    I would go with DWR.

For construction of the socks, I have just taken existing designs and figured out how I could best accomplish the task....does that sound weird?

The SEEP has a portal on the side with a flap window that you use for entry/exit.

The TED style has a top that is not sewn together, but secured with channeled shock cord. You just reach up and pull the fabric down to get in/out, then let go of the fabric and it snaps back up toward your ridgeline, leaving a small gap where the "walls" meet.

Even simpler is bottom entry that you can draw closed.
    So the SEEP is like the TED only the opening is on the side as opposed to the top?

Quote Originally Posted by jwright View Post
    Don't forget the open end tube designs (ala pappa smurf and others). I am new to socks, but am really liking them. I made mine with a 1.1 DWR ripstop bottom half and a "8d" (now nobul 1) top half.
    I love being able to slide it up or back according to the temps. Keeping my head out is a nice touch. It stores at the end of the hammock when not needed and can be deployed easily.
    Jason
    How do you like the nobul 1? PapaSmurf made one of those for someone and I've been waiting for them to post some field tests. That's a material I was interested in using if it worked well. I don't like the idea of the tube style though. I don't want to be fumbling around above my head trying to find a cordlock when I need to make a midnight run.

Quote Originally Posted by SnrMoment View Post
    Having done several socks out of different materials, I'm going to make the next one(s) with the open end tube design. I've done mine with the Fronkey style bug net and they work great, just a PIA to set up and run the whoopies/ridge line through. Only takes a few minutes, but extra work is extra work.
    I like the option of covering or not. Easy to pull up the cover late at night when it gets colder. Same with the bug nets.
    I've done Taselite Camo, Polyester Fabric, 1.1 Silnylon & 1.0 ACU Digital Camo and it's the one I like the best. The sil is next in line.
    I did a bugnet Fronkey style and decided if I made another that it would have to be a Fronkey/Papasmurf hybrid for those very reasons. More of a FronkenSmurf if you will. The 1.0 ACU digital camo is what I have. Does it provide good wind protection? Have you had any condensation issues?

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    So the SEEP is like the TED only the opening is on the side as opposed to the top?

Sort of. A SEEP is simply a flap that hangs over the side. I'd sew in a few pockets along the bottom edge fo the flap to add trail rocks to help hold the SEEP closed against the wind.

I did this with a sewn on SEEP bugnet and it works great. Never gotten even one little bugger inside the netting with me.

Now if you want to get you could fancy make a Double SEEP winter sock. It is basically an UQP with SEEP flaps on each side of the hammock. Attach it altogether around the hammock suspension. Allows for dual access to the hammock, so that if something is coming from one side, you can escape through the other.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    The 1.0 ACU has provided excellent wind protection and condensation has not been a problem. The Fronkey style is easy to reach and close off once I'm in the hammock.

It's pretty big set up, but the 1.0 packs down in a stuff sack to about 4" x 9". Have not weighed it yet, but will soon
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post

How do you like the nobul 1? PapaSmurf made one of those for someone and I've been waiting for them to post some field tests. That's a material I was interested in using if it worked well. I don't like the idea of the tube style though. I don't want to be fumbling around above my head trying to find a cordlock when I need to make a midnight run.
    The NOBul1/"8d" was great to work with, I love the feel of this stuf. The original candy green color takes a bit to get used to. I've only had it out for 1 night to just below freezing, so not the best test. No condensation, and really warmed up my space. It did feel like it had good breathability.

I will say that it is very easy to get in and out of. I never had to use the clip to the ridgeline. Just cinching it up with the cord lock, somewhere over my head held it nicely inplace, and probably added to the venting There is a lot of drawcord that will hang down, making it easy to find in the night. The hard part was motivating to emerge from it in the morning. I think a sock is good for at least an additional hr of sleep in the morning.

jason

• + New Posts