ENO DN/DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    It seems like this topic keeps coming up recently.

How do people feel about a shared google docs spreadsheet that would list trip information (maybe broken down by state)? I'm thinking something similar to the PIF spreadsheet but for trip planning. This way everyone would have one place to look to see info about hangs in their area, and then maybe a link in the document directly to the relevant thread.

Just my thoughts on the topic.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
    Very similar to what I was thinking, but I was envisioning 6 sub-forums based on geographic region with the FAQ for the post having a map showing which ones belong to which region to clear up any misunderstandings and to help those that live on the borders check for the neighboring regions posts.

Regions like:
    Southeast
    Northeast
    Northern Midwest
    Southern Midwest
    Northwest
    Southwest

Heck, with this we could even add another for "international hangs"

Just my $0.02
    Where do the mid atlantic folks fit? It seems we have a common crew in the VA, WV, PA, MD, DE, NJ area with fringe feeders from NY, MA, CN NC, OH, etc. I assume any way it is divided up the next "suggestion" will be that boundaries change or we stop dividing it up. It is easy to go to the trip planning forum and just do a quick scan if folks put in the state in the header.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Arothian View Post

How do people feel about a shared google docs spreadsheet that would list trip information (maybe broken down by state)? I'm thinking something similar to the PIF spreadsheet but for trip planning. This way everyone would have one place to look to see info about hangs in their area, and then maybe a link in the document directly to the relevant thread.

Sounds like a good option, even if the sub-forum got broken down. Someplace to list them all would be great.

But that seems to beg the question, who would maintain it?

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    This has been discussed before. As I recall (and I could wrong) it was decided against because it would cause a larger load on the mods and many people travel across many states to group hangs, not just within their home state. It has been suggested that when people wish to post a group hang to start the title of the hang with the state abbreviation/location of the hang first to make it easier to navigate for people.

Quote Originally Posted by Arothian View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
    Very similar to what I was thinking, but I was envisioning 6 sub-forums based on geographic region with the FAQ for the post having a map showing which ones belong to which region to clear up any misunderstandings and to help those that live on the borders check for the neighboring regions posts.

Regions like:
    Southeast
    Northeast
    Northern Midwest
    Southern Midwest
    Northwest
    Southwest

Heck, with this we could even add another for "international hangs"

Just my $0.02

IIRC, this topic has come up at least twice in the year that I have been here, and now it comes up again. Any decision made was made by the mods, and that is both their right and thier duty. As volunteers, they do have a "real life" as well as the good work they put in here.

Members have some responsibilities as well. The Original Poster of any Planning Thread has the responsibility to "bump" the thread so that it remains current. He is also responsible for titling the post in such a manner that it is obvious where and when the trip is taking place. Most recently the convention as been along the lines of: Texas>Lone Star Hiking Trail>Hike N' Hang>February 22-25

Members who see the post have the responsibility to subscribe to the post if they are interested so that they can remain informed, and they should comment somewhat frequently in order to keep the thread current.

But.

Sometimes even this is not enough to keep these posts from being "buried" to the extent that the casual or occasional member will see them due to infrequent visits and bad timing. I have seen a planning thread dissapear to the second page in 24 hours, particularly during "the season". The frequency with which this topic keeps coming up is at least circumstantial evidence that with the rapid increase of members in the past year something more may need to be done.

I do think that regional subforums as mentioned above will solve this situation.

I hereby volunteer my time and effort to Moderate a Southern Midwest Region Trip Planning SubForum if one is required, and suggest that it encompass Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, and Louisiana. I would hope that at least one other Member here does the same for this Region and that others from the other regions noted do the same.

In other words, don't ask the Mods to increase thier workload unless you are willing to pitch in and pull the cart, too.
    Last edited by sargevining; 11-26-2012 at 01:46.

Hammock
    eno double nest, 12'r, 90x132"r
    Tarp
    kelty noah 12 :D
    Insulation
    DIY down and VB
    Suspension
    cinch/whoopie
    didnt have time to read the whole thread(getting ready for work)

how about a regional? kinda like they use on ADVrider. except a tad bit smaller.

southeast, northeast, central, midwest, cali-west. etc Oconus
    Glory to the Fallen, Honor to the Lost. Faith to the Missing. Carry on Forever.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    IIRC, this topic has come up at least twice in the year that I have been here, and now it comes up again. Any decision made was made by the mods, and that is both their right and thier duty. As volunteers, they do have a "real life" as well as the good work they put in here.

I do think that regional subforums as mentioned above will solve this situation.

I hereby volunteer my time and effort to Moderate a Southern Midwest Region Trip Planning SubForum if one is required, and suggest that it encompass Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, and Louisiana. I would hope that at least one other Member here does the same for this Region and that others from the other regions noted do the same.

In other words, don't ask the Mods to increase thier workload unless you are willing to pitch in and pull the cart, too.

Well I have no problem volunteering to moderate a Sub-Forum. Sign me up.. Perhaps if they divided it up into 4 Sub-Forums would be a good compromise. Not much more to have to deal with for the Mods but still enough to keep that section a bit more organized for the trip planning.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Images
    Well, I came up with the six regions so I'm game to mod the southeast.
    Eagle Scout, June 1987
    Eagle Patrol--SR830

"A man stands tallest when he stoops to help a boy."

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Here is a map of the US divided into 5 Regions. This would be good because it only uses 5 Sub-Forums.

united-states-map.jpg

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I suggest that before we go to separating the fly poop from the pepper we see how many people are willing to help the Mods out by taking up any load imposed on them by any new system.

Lets see how many are willing to do the work first. If interest is low, then it will never get off the ground anyway.

Those who are willing to help out will likely have no quibble with any geographic divisions. I know I am not. I'll even offer to Moderate in any area where such help is required, regardless of whether I live in it or not.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I'm in for Southeast.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast