Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    Wiggys FTRSS, pluq
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
    I find the "coyote brown" or whatever they call it that Hennessy uses almost invisible. I've actually struggled to find my hammock in the woods a couple of times coming back from getting water in the evening.
    +1 coyote brown is a versatile base color with other techniques it works well on varied environs. I have yet to find a truly universal camo but this isn't bad.

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Recently, someone posted pics where they RIT dyed their tarp. I believe they used two or three colors in the process. It seemed to have favorable responses. I don't know if there was a longevity report to see how it weathered - pun intended - the exposure to the elements. Maybe someone can track the thread down and holler at the OP.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    WBBB DL1.0
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 0*
    Suspension
    Web Straps
    That may have been me. the threat is here:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=55328

It seemed to wear well. I had switched over to a painted tyvek tarp for the summer. I was just about to break out the the 12x12 dyed tarp for winter. But I can't find it! If I can find it I will up date my thread and let everyone know how it is holding up. Most importantly, if it is still watertight.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    The best camoflauge would be, as others said, using natural cover. The color really won't matter, as you have 2 things going against you; horizontal straight lines, and a solid object against the background.

Hammock
    DIY dbl layer Gathered end
    Tarp
    The Cheap Kind
    Insulation
    WM CCF, reflectex
    Suspension
    Straps & RB
    Just got this in the mail today. Ordered 10yds X 60" wide. That will be enough for my cat cut tarp. It's finally time for a "proper" hammock tarp.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The question that oft' makes me hazy... am I or the others crazy?" Albert Einstein

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    This has me thinking, What would you pay for stealth hammocking?

How about... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=JKPVQal851U...If I only had a tarp like this...
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    This has me thinking, What would you pay for stealth hammocking?

How about... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=JKPVQal851U...If I only had a tarp like this...
    But the noise from the running generator for the projector would give you away.

It has been hinted at here, but never clearly stated;
    Camouflage is only effective in small patterns, and on multi-planed surfaces.

The various militaries around the world have conducted several multi-million dollar studies on the topic of camouflage and camouflaging.
    The sole purpose of a visual camouflage is to confuse the brain.

Interesting note: The human brain is preprogramed to automatically identify the shape of the human body. (hence the need to camouflage or confuse)

Lots of money has also been spent trying to find ways to camouflage large equipment. Predominantly speaking, the result of these studies and tests have been that an environmentally neutral solid color is sufficient. This is because the human brain doesn't expect to see, and therefore 'ignores' these neutral colors from it's image scan. As presented several times before, distance helps, but even the wrong pattern can stand out at any distance. Even the right 'pattern' becomes visible if it is too repeatitive across too small of a distance (as is the case with large equipment and/or unnatural shapes).
    This is also just as true with the human body, again, because the brain is programed to "see" that "human pattern" under any circumstance -

Environmentally neutral camouflaging large unnatural shapes is difficult if you have the wrong color, wrong lighting and/or visibility. I've known of folks being completely unseen trailside with a (slightly faded)blaze orange tarp simply because it was in the middle of Fall and the true environmentally neutral color was a bright yellow/orange/red. Likewise, I've hidden vehicles in the wide open (but backed up against the treeline) with nothing more than a OD Green netting (designed for equipment/vehicles), simply because the position of my observers was such that the outline of the vehicle was not visible against the treeline.

Another aspect of camouflaging is IR (infrared) image distortion, which simply means that rather than confusing the brain, you 'confuse' or distort the IR 'image' of an object. Every thing on this planet has an IR signature, trees, rocks, water, humans, flora, fauna, etc. Certain types of camouflage is designed to project different IR signatures per section of material (ie, brown has one signature, green another, grey yet another, etc.) place them all together and in a pattern and you quickly distort the IR signature of an entity.

Basically this all boils down to one thing, to effectively hide in any area you will need to use several different tactics and have environmentally neutral colors for each environment you find yourself in. Position, location and environmentally neutral projections (color, lighting and shading) are all necessary and important.

But simply put, large objects hide better behind solid colors
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images

Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by zugcat View Post
    That may have been me. the threat is here:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=55328

It seemed to wear well. I had switched over to a painted tyvek tarp for the summer. I was just about to break out the the 12x12 dyed tarp for winter. But I can't find it! If I can find it I will up date my thread and let everyone know how it is holding up. Most importantly, if it is still watertight.
    Thanks for hopping into the thread. Your tarp is the one I was thinking of.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    ... if the repeat is too small you start to get patterns that will draw the eye and that defeats the purpose of camo in the first place. ...
    Right you are and that has prevented me from purchasing some camo tarps in the past.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast