Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    IMO the baseline for comparing is an air pad, ground cloth, quilt, and tarp [using your hiking poles or a ridge line for the tarp]. Since an UQ is heavier than an air pad and a hammock is heavier than a groundcloth, a hammock set-up is always going to have a slight weight penalty.

But comparing the hammock and tarp to a 1P double wall free standing tent might be a more fair comparsion for most people.

I accept the weight penalty when I use my bridge hammock because of the comfort and site selection. In the forests of New England, a hammock allows me to camp in places that you couldn't use a tent.
    Last edited by tjm; 11-26-2012 at 09:53. Reason: I can't spell.
    Love my JRB BMB

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    Quote Originally Posted by CB200T View Post
    Has anyone figured out a solution for modifying a trekking pole for use with the RR in place of the poles? I have a set of carbon Black Diamond, but the palm rest is fixed.
    I know people have used non-collapsible hiking poles on JRB bridge hammocks, so you could search the forum for more information on that.

I would experiment at home and load the hammock with sand bags before doing this in the woods.

This might help. I think the value K would be 0.5 [both ends fixed]. You will want poles with a diameter equal to or greater than the RR poles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckling
    Love my JRB BMB

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    OK Several people have mentioned trekking poles replacing the stock spreader bars.

Can anyone point out a quality set of poles with the threaded camera adapter that will fit the Warbonnet adapter? There is a thread on HFs about how to convert regular poles but I'm not sure I want to try it. I like my Black Diamond Ellipticals and don't want to screw them up.

Miguel

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    I'll never use my poles for spreader bars, they almost always get used for my tarp so it's useless for me to even try it out. The dedicated spreader bars work for me...

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    OK Several people have mentioned trekking poles replacing the stock spreader bars.

Can anyone point out a quality set of poles with the threaded camera adapter that will fit the Warbonnet adapter? There is a thread on HFs about how to convert regular poles but I'm not sure I want to try it. I like my Black Diamond Ellipticals and don't want to screw them up.

Miguel
    MAYBE these?

http://www.rei.com/product/745686/re...ck-light-staff
    Love my JRB BMB

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Trekking poles for bridge spreader bars are for skinny people. If you don't consider yourself a skinny person, don't wreck a set of poles.

Yeah, the RR is about the same weight as the Birds when you remove the spreader bars. Not that the Blackbirds are exactly lightweight backpacking hammocks. They are easily bearable to backpack with, but if you're really worried about weight then neither of these hammocks are likely to even make the wish list. I've hiked with my RR a couple of times now and don't have any complaints about the weight. I would take a more appropriate hammock on a long distance hike, but for a 30 mile weekend it's just dandy.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    IMO the baseline for comparing is an air pad, ground cloth, quilt, and tarp [using your hiking poles or a ridge line for the tarp]. Since an UQ is heavier than an air pad and a hammock is heavier than a groundcloth, a hammock set-up is always going to have a slight weight penalty.
    Depends on the pad, honestly. I had a fairly light Exped downmat (20 ounces) that's a few ounces heavier than the Lynx UQ...

I've found that my hammock/UQ/TQ is just a bit lighter than my Fly Creek UL2/pad/sleeping bag combo was.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Trekking poles for bridge spreader bars are for skinny people. If you don't consider yourself a skinny person, don't wreck a set of poles.

Yeah, the RR is about the same weight as the Birds when you remove the spreader bars. Not that the Blackbirds are exactly lightweight backpacking hammocks. They are easily bearable to backpack with, but if you're really worried about weight then neither of these hammocks are likely to even make the wish list. I've hiked with my RR a couple of times now and don't have any complaints about the weight. I would take a more appropriate hammock on a long distance hike, but for a 30 mile weekend it's just dandy.
    +1. While 10 ounces of poles can be a good bit, at the weight of the BB or RR, it isn't as big of a deal. If someone's counting grams, they're going to shed an entire pound going down to something much lighter over all.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    Thanks, but these are shock absorbing poles and Brandon clearly says, don't use them.

Miguel

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post

I am tending to agree with you. In fact when I return to the AT next Spring I plan on taking a Darien UL. On shorter trips I'll take the weight hit and carry the RR with the stock spreader bars..

Miguel

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast