Wife Made
    Tarp
    Wife Made
    Insulation
    Wife Made
    Suspension
    Whoopie

RR for Backpacking?

How many of you RR owners use your RRs for backpacking as opposed to car camping? I get the impression a lot of people only car camp. I bought it as a backpacking set up, but it seems heavy. Wondering if I should be looking at bivvies instead. Gathered end hammocks and I just don't get a long.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    I use it for backpacking, can't even tell the difference on my back switching to this hammock. I can tell a difference in the way I sleep though!!

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Hey guys, newbie here. I backpacked with the RR Friday and Sat., had no problem. Might be a little heavier, but is worth it because it is soooo comfortable.
    BTW, got down to 23 in the closest town to where i was camping, so it was probably in the teens where I was. Had 2 pads and space blanket in pad slot, I got chilled about 4AM, so I started 2 hand warmers in my bag, slept like baby the rest of the night.

The RR is not a heavy setup, (at least for me). The only difference in the RR and a gather end hammock, is the RR has the extra poles to carry but If you use hiking poles you can use them on the RR so it's no difference..

Hammock
    Wife Made
    Tarp
    Wife Made
    Insulation
    Wife Made
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsguy View Post
    Hey guys, newbie here. I backpacked with the RR Friday and Sat., had no problem. Might be a little heavier, but is worth it because it is soooo comfortable.
    BTW, got down to 23 in the closest town to where i was camping, so it was probably in the teens where I was. Had 2 pads and space blanket in pad slot, I got chilled about 4AM, so I started 2 hand warmers in my bag, slept like baby the rest of the night.
    Glad to hear you enjoyed it!! I can't wait until mine comes!

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    I use it for backpacking, can't even tell the difference on my back switching to this hammock. I can tell a difference in the way I sleep though!!
    That's what I'm hoping will happen with mine. I'm still awaiting the shipping confirmation. Hopefully today!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceweaseal View Post
    The RR is not a heavy setup, (at least for me). The only difference in the RR and a gather end hammock, is the RR has the extra poles to carry but If you use hiking poles you can use them on the RR so it's no difference..
    Agree 100%. I used to backpack with the Blackbird 1.7 DL and the weight is the same as the Ridgerunner DL 1.1 with the poles, so it's a non-issue for me...

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird 60, WB RR, ENO DN
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Has anyone used their trekking poles for the spreader bars in the Ridge Runner yet?

Quote Originally Posted by CB200T View Post
    How many of you RR owners use your RRs for backpacking as opposed to car camping? I get the impression a lot of people only car camp. I bought it as a backpacking set up, but it seems heavy. Wondering if I should be looking at bivvies instead. Gathered end hammocks and I just don't get a long.
    Ive used it backpacking and it just depends on what your tolerance is for weight. 10 years ago this would have been called an ultra-light setup, today not so much compared to some of the other options. REally just depends on how light you want to go vs. how well you sleep with it vs. other setups.

I originally got into hammocking because less bulk and no poles were a very intriguing thought to me. I never really had a problem with comfort sleeping on the ground as many here do. I quickly came to the realization that gathered end hammock were not for me, but decided to try a couple bridge hammocks. They were very comfortable to sleep in, however, they came at the cost of spreader bars and larger tarps. So now Im back to using poles and bigger, bulkier items with a RR. It is also a heavier setup than my BA Copper Spur UL1 tent.

So I go back and forth which is the better solution. Logically, my tent would be a better choice for me considering I dont mind sleeping on the ground with a good pad. However, when I do go out-guess what I grab? Yep, the hammock because they just are alot more FUN to use!

Hammock
    Wife Made
    Tarp
    Wife Made
    Insulation
    Wife Made
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Has anyone figured out a solution for modifying a trekking pole for use with the RR in place of the poles? I have a set of carbon Black Diamond, but the palm rest is fixed.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    The hammock itself in the bag isn't that much different from the BB. Just that you need a convenient way to carry the poles, which could be a problem for some. You do need a bigger tarp, too, but there's plenty of choices where that penalty is minimal. And Brandon's offering of the no net options helps, too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast