HH ULBP or Claytor Exp
    Tarp
    Big Claytor
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    rings & things

First time in my Claytor - could use some tips

I used my new Claytor mosquito hammock this weekend on a Boy Scout trip. I hung it with a descending ring & straps set up like the one on Jeff’s website and that worked well. Overall I got a much better night’s sleep than I ever have in a tent. But I did have a little trouble rolling over in the hammock, and it felt like I might roll out once or twice. There was a pretty good squeeze in there. I’m wondering if I had it pitched too tight. Also I didn’t have spreader bars like Neo uses so I need to get those also. Perhaps I should have bought the bigger Jungle hammock but I went for reduced weight... oh well... live and learn.

My rookie questions are…

Where do you tie off the lines that suspend the mosquito net? I tied them to the ridge line but looking at pictures it appears some of you tie them back to the tree. Do I need to worry about breaking these or will they stretch?

If I’m worried about rolling out am I tied too tight to the trees? Is this just experiment with how tight you tie for personal comfort preference?

Should I try to place a permanent ridge line on the hammock like the Hennessy my son’s hammock has?

Do you run a separate line for the tarp when you use a Claytor? I ran a seperate line to put up the Clayor big rain fly.

Any tips you learned the hard way would be appreciated for my backyard experiments that begin tonight.
    Last edited by Memphis; 09-23-2008 at 08:46.

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    > If I’m worried about rolling out am I tied too tight to the trees?

Oh, yeah.

> Is this just experiment with how tight you tie for personal comfort preference?

Yes, but you'll probably be more comfortable with more sag (YMMV).

> Should I try to place a permanent ridge line on the hammock like the Hennessy
    > my son’s hammock has?

Personal preference, but you might find it helpful as you search for The Perfect Sag.

> Do you run a separate line for the tarp when you use a Claytor?

You should always tie a tarp separately to the trees, IMHO (think about how you'll set up and take down in the rain) unless you're getting really esoteric and have thought it through carefully. You don't need one line all the way between the trees -- this is actually more difficult, I think. Just go from the ends to the trees. Easiest way I've found is to put a loop in one end of the line, wrap the line around the tree, run free end through the loop, and out to the tarp. Then use a Figure 9 or trucker's hitch or whatever floats your boat to tension the tarp all nice and twangy like a Randy Travis song or some other ill fitting metaphor. Generally, I tie the first line loosely so it's easier to center the tarp when you're on the second end where you can get a good idea of the tarp's relation to the trees. Snakeskins on the tarp can help you keep everything clean when the ground's muddy and keep the wind from being such a nuisance during setup on a breezy day.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Sorry for the short response...
    -Spreader bars can be anything...sticks cut to length is an easy option
    -IMO, shoulder squeeze and a feeling of unstable could be from hammcok with too little sag. Set-up with more sag than you think and see if that helps
    -A ridgeline is not required. Some prefer one and others don't. You establish your preferenced sag, then hook-up a ridgeline to help replicate your set up every time
    -My bug net ropes are partially shock corded...it will stretch and I usually connect to my biner that I use at the tree straps (suspension ring/webbing mod)
    -seperate line for tarp (higher or not at all in good weather, lower in bad weather)

I used to hang in a HH. I prefer more sag in my Claytor than I ever dreamed in my HH.

Enjoy the learning curve!

BTW, are you hanging in a Claytor Jungle or Expedition? Jungle is longer and more comfortable IMO...Expedition may require a different set-up...
    Last edited by animalcontrol; 09-23-2008 at 11:55. Reason: re-read OP and realized he specified Expedition...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    "Where do you tie off the lines that suspend the mosquito net? I tied them to the ridge line but looking at pictures it appears some of you tie them back to the tree. Do I need to worry about breaking these or will they stretch?"

On my Claytor, the mosquito net lines stretch. I attach them to the tarp lines where they attach to the tarp. Often have to double or even triple the cord to get enough tension in them. I've also attached the mosquito net lines to the hammock support lines at the loop around the tree when not using a tarp. It doesn't look like it will work, but the hammock sinks down far enough when you get in.

Hammock
    HH ULBP or Claytor Exp
    Tarp
    Big Claytor
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    rings & things
    Thanks guys. Big help.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Hennessey hex
    Insulation
    RW quilt, GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings.
    Images
    You pretty well have your answers, but just to show you a more complete consensus:

Where do you tie off the lines that suspend the mosquito net?
    To the trees. I'd suggest replacing them with better shock cord and a bit thicker guy line. Tiny knots are tough to untie.

If I’m worried about rolling out am I tied too tight to the trees? Is this just experiment with how tight you tie for personal comfort preference?
    Too tight, yes; personal preference, yes. You need some sag, just keep working with it to discover how much.

Should I try to place a permanent ridge line on the hammock like the Hennessy my son’s hammock has?
    I don't think a structural ridgeline is a good idea with the Claytor, but a non-structural is very handy.

Do you run a separate line for the tarp when you use a Claytor?
    Definitely tie it to the trees on its own.

Any tips you learned the hard way would be appreciated for my backyard experiments that begin tonight.
    With a little sag you'd be hard pressed to fall out. I roll from side to side a lot with no problems.

Try a Gossamer Gear wide pad (if they still have them) or one from Oware.

Watch for freying at the zipper.

Arrow shafts make great, lightweight spreader bars for the netting.

Get the Jungle if you can. You'll be happier with the larger hammock.
    Art
    ---------------
    "Strength is life; weakness is death."
    ---Swami Vivekananda

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Manach View Post
    Watch for freying at the zipper.

Arrow shafts make great, lightweight spreader bars for the netting.

Get the Jungle if you can. You'll be happier with the larger hammock.
    I have two Jungle Hammocks and both frayed at the zippers. My wife put an extra stitch in the seam the full length and not only did it stabilize the seam, it also prevented the fraying. Worth the effort. I too keep a fair amount of sag in mine, sleep in it nearly every night and have no sensation of rolling out. I sleep on both sides and my back quite comfortably. Can hardly sleep in a bed now.
    Last edited by canoebie; 09-25-2008 at 16:38. Reason: spelling
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Hennessey hex
    Insulation
    RW quilt, GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    My wife put an extra stitch in the seam the full length...
    Awesome tip.
    Art
    ---------------
    "Strength is life; weakness is death."
    ---Swami Vivekananda

Hammock
    HH ULBP or Claytor Exp
    Tarp
    Big Claytor
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    rings & things
    BTW, are you hanging in a Claytor Jungle or Expedition? Jungle is longer and more comfortable IMO...Expedition may require a different set-up...
    I am in an Expedition. I may get a Jungle and just put this one in the scout auction at the end of the year, or let a guy that has done a great job borrow it each month. They all want to hang now.

To the trees. I'd suggest replacing them with better shock cord and a bit thicker guy line. Tiny knots are tough to untie.
    Thanks, this is so true.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    check out my pics of my set up on claytor and dd hammock netting
    suspension.i use elastic cord with a mini biner at the end,i usually clip it to the tarp loop were my line is tied through it.my spreader are made of alumnum arrow shaft cut to 14 inches long,one shaft makes a pair of spreader
    i hope this helpsneo

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...r&imageuser=11

the matrix has you

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast