Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Ole Blue for now
    Insulation
    None yet.
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Many, many thanks for all of the replies, guys. The Superfly is currently at the top of my list. It seems to be the best bang for the buck for sure. I think I'll probably start there and go smaller after experience proves my desires. I'm not a gram counter, so I don't mind a few extra ounces. Owl, much like you, I believe it would be well worth it when that storm starts brewing to have those doors.

Brandon

Images
    11-9 cuben. had it made by z-pack designed after the 11-10 from JRB a few years back.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    I like an 11x10. Its a very versatile tarp.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    hmmm...?
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ biners
    I can only afford to have one tarp so I like a larger tarp and have a 10x10. It gives me more coverage in the summer from the sun and I just used in a 32 degree night with winds and I was able to pitch it closer to the ground and fold in the corners to create a barrier that kept the wind off of me.

Maybe when I get more experience and money, I might look at getting different sizes. But since I'm not looking to be an ultralight backpacker, the extra weight of the large tarp is negligible to me for the versatility it allows

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Superfly is a great choice and gets a lot of praise here. I have the Maccat deluxe and it has always provided enough coverage, even in heavy downpours.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Hey Brandon, Ya can't go wrong with a superfly. My favorite configuration is porch mode with the doors pulled to the inside and secured. If it gets windy I just get up pull my poles in and snug up the lines from underneath the tarp. I have pussics larksheaded on the tieouts. As for the doors I have prussics on those tieouts too and SS Sbiners on the end of the line to clip onto the opposite corner. That's all if I anticipate rain or if it's unpredictable. Otherwise I have really been enjoyin my HammockGear Hex Cuban. Sooooo light! If I had the dough I'd have a HammockGear winter palace too. You might want to check out Campmor.com for the Equinox PU coated tarp 12X10. It was my first tarp and was great coverage except for the weight. I still have it. It was only around $40. Here are some pics. The green one is the Equinox, brown the Superfly, and the sexy Cuban Hex speaks for itself!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    My current favorite is my 11 x 8 hex DIY tarp. A good pitch keeps me out of the wind and it gives plenty of space, especially in porch mode. If a storm blows up in the night and I have to drop to A Frame pitch I can reach both of my poles without having to fully wake up or even get out of the hammock. Self tensioning guy lines means I don't have to restake when dropping the poles either.

Of course with Winter starting to setting in, I'll probably end up using my 12 x 12 tarp quite a bit more till it begins to warm up since having doors when the wind is bitter cold is a wonderful thing.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DIY, so far
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    underground quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie !!
    I picked up a superfly cause down here in Ga. when it rains it usually comes down in buckets, BIG buckets.
    I can levitate.......................................... .................................................. .................................................. .In my Hammock

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Ole Blue for now
    Insulation
    None yet.
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks again for the replies, everyone. I'm probably going to go with a Superfly, I think. I really like the idea of maybe taking a smaller one and just pitching it tightly down in storms and what not, but I love the idea of having all of the extra room the Superfly would offer, especially since some trips will be with ground dwellers and I'm fairly positive they'd rather be under a tarp than in a tent.

Brandon

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I may have my priorities misplaced, but this is where I spend my money. I want the most coverage for the least amount of weight, and only one tarp fits that description: the HG Cuben Fiber Winter Palace. It's got a 10 ft. 10" ridgeline, and it's 10 ft., 7 inches wide. It's the last tarp you'll ever buy.

At 8.5 ounces, the only tarps that are lighter are Cuben Fiber with less coverage. While I own an HG 4S CF tarp, I've had my eyes on the increased coverage of the Winter Palace for some time. The additional 2 ounces don't bother me 'cause I know that I have a true 4-season tarp, that can take me through any weather I choose.

At $395, it's expensive, but you won't ever need another tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast