Tarp
    Ole Blue for now
    Insulation
    None yet.
    Suspension
    Whoopies

What size tarp do you prefer and why?

Hi all,

I'm thinking about asking for a tarp for my birthday. But, I'm not certain what size I would like to get. I definitely lean toward a larger tarp, but mainly because I have this vision of using a tarp to surround my hammock like a tent with the option for doors if I need it. Ultimately, probably overkill since I probably won't be doing any camping in snow.

What do you guys use? What makes it work for you?

Brandon

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I like larger tarps for longer days out and I'm not sure of the weather etc. Gives me an option to open up or lock down if needed (ie Superfly, Old Man Winter). But on great summer days for 1-2 days out I like my smaller tarps to lessen the load - Maccat, BMJ etc.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    The smallest possible for the anticipated weather. Our Shangri La for 90% of the year. The Toxoway for when the weather is likely to be nasty. And even then most of the time I will have one side propped up in Porch mode. If the wind is likely to be really bad (rain or snow don't really matter unless the wind is also really bad) then the hard Rock winter tarp to block the wind. Most trips my tarp does not even leave the pack unless I need shade and or rain coverage.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Chinook Tech. 9x12
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    DIY Slap-Straps
    Absolutely agree with going minimalist- but if you are looking for a single tarp to fit all of your needs I would go with something in the middle. I am assuming this is your first tarp that's not from Wally World?
    I loved my chinook 9x12 with closable doors as my first upgrade. It was inexpensive and has lasted years. I still use it on occasion! Perfect for opening up on decent days and closing down when it's snowing or too windy.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dl
    Tarp
    WB Edge or SF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB web or whoopies
    Images
    I love my WB Edge. Just big enough to cover the hammock. Keep me dry and the weight is pretty low. On days when the wind might be bad, I've been using my poncho to close off one end. Works great.

My first tarp was a Speer 8x10, which for me worked great for many years (still have and use it).

My current summer/3season is a Cuben Hex tarp. This is my tarp of choice as the weight is minimal. I also have a cuben 8.5x10 which I take out for my winter backpacking trips, here soon I will have end caps made for it.

For winter car camping or very, very short winter hikes I have a Hennessy Hex tarp and two grizz beaks. Hopefully soon I will get another winter tarp, one with built in doors.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Well, I like a bigger tarp 10x12 minimum - too much is better than too little for me. The added coverage works year round. Shade in the summer sun and closed off ends in winter, porch mode, etc.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I'm from the "large and in charge" camp as well. I use a HH Hex, with doors from 2QZQ.

The weight isn't much of a factor for me given how much I've scaled back already...but the added peace of mind due to that extra protection (I call it "Owl's Fortress of Solitude") is well worth it for me.

Others feel differently.

You'll have to decide what is most important to you...prioritize the properties you're looking at...weight, protection, cost...then figure out what works for you the best. What works for others may not be what you prefer...or vice versa.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    i like the ENO Pro fly i have been using... http://patriotoutfittersusa.com/prod.../10__86980.jpgit has covered my big table cloth hammock well enough... but would like doors and a wider set up for both wind and water protection from the side... i ordered it because it was what i could afford and what would be here when i needed it...

if i had to do it again i would order the warbonnet super fly... just a few ounces heavier but has doors and is wider but about the same length... http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/gal...&g2_itemId=148

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    small - warbonnet edge. I figure I can pitch low and tight in really nasty weather and even a small tarp will keep me dry enough to not get into trouble (although I won't be as comfortable as I could be, that's been proven).

My reason is weight. I like to keep things as light as possible so that I can go farther and see more all while being more comfy than I was back in the day of heavy packs and leather boots!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast