WBBB 1.1DL/Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Toxaway/Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Need Some Help Evaluating a Thread Injector

For those of you more knowledgeable about these things, can you tell me if this is a good deal? Will it handle small projects like stuff sacks, hammocks, tarps, underquilts, and top quilts? I'm not going to be making packs or anything like that.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-LS...ne/22025146#rr
    The adventure begins when everything goes wrong.
    -Yvon Chouinard

My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/SaabZomb...ow=grid&view=0

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Sure, it'll work for light-duty, light-to-moderate-weight work. But if you intend on doing more than a few stuff sacks, a few quilts, or a couple of hammocks, it probably won't hold up very well over time.

For roughly double the money, you can get a sewing machine that'll do everything you need for years--you might be able to give it to your grandkids, let alone use it next year. Follow Ramblinrev's advice: go to your local sewing repair place and talk to the repair guy. Tell him what you need, and see what he's got. More'n likely, someone will have abandoned a machine there that you can purchase for the repair price or so.

Anyway, that's how I went about it (though I needed one that'd handle tougher fabric than you will), and I was not disappointed by my purchase.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL/Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Toxaway/Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Unfortunately, we only have one sewing shop here in town, and they have no used/repair inventory.

I found one other machine that seems to be a good deal. Can anybody give me any input on this one? It's a Kenmore 19106.

http://www.tuesdaymorning.com/black-...06/1272812.jsp
    The adventure begins when everything goes wrong.
    -Yvon Chouinard

My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/SaabZomb...ow=grid&view=0

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Check the guidelines post in my sig. Others have found it helpful.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SaabZombee View Post
    Unfortunately, we only have one sewing shop here in town, and they have no used/repair inventory.

I found one other machine that seems to be a good deal. Can anybody give me any input on this one? It's a Kenmore 19106.

http://www.tuesdaymorning.com/black-...06/1272812.jsp
    At 13 lbs weight you are going to chase that brat all over the table. I would throw it out the window in about 20 mins of sewing. Check all the ladies of a certain age in your shere of influence. I'll lay you dollars to donuts someone has a machine stashed in a closet, attic or basement.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    1.4 oz Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    5x7
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    10' straps
    I agree with the previous post in that the weight of the machine will affect your ability (or maybe patience) to sew something together...

As a test, I once sewed up a tarp using my daughter's little machine - here's the video I made just to show that I could.

I ended up chasing that thing all over the place as I progressed...

My old heavy machines don't even wince when I move stacks of nylon seams through them. Of course you need to be willing to set things up correctly too...

Are you mechanically inclined and willing to work on a machine to clean it up to learn how it works or do you just want to jump in and start making gear?

Here's some local Craigslist machines that I might be tempted to check out if I were in your shoes:
    http://bloomington.craigslist.org/atq/3338924655.html
    http://bloomington.craigslist.org/app/3404005341.html
    http://louisville.craigslist.org/hsh/3394030414.html
    Last edited by DBLOCK; 11-26-2012 at 22:05. Reason: found machines to look at

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SaabZombee View Post
    [/URL]
    Too many faculty members* from a fine and very large university for that to be true without it also being true that the sewing shops may be disguised. I'll bet there are tons of Elna, Lady Kenmores, Necchi, and Pfaff's. Not to mention better Singers and other sm's made in IN.

Also, too many crafts people doing fiber arts in southern IN, say around Nashville. Have you tried "vacuum machines?", or over toward and in Columbus?

*Either as inheritors of expensive sm's, or as purchasers of new models themselves, during early years of family building.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    IMO, neither the Kenmore nor the Brother from W/M are worth their price. A good sewing machine tech will tell you that they consider the machines to be disposable ie. it costs more than they're worth to fix them if something goes wrong.

The 3rd machine DBlock showed you

http://louisville.craigslist.org/hsh/3394030414.html

is certainly worth looking at.

If you're planning on doing more than stuff sacks or suspect that you're going to get hooked in DIY here... then I'd suggest a road trip to either Indianapolis or better yet, head up to Amish country to the north.

My favorite sewing machine repairman was outside of Logansport - he used to resurrect discarded machines and set them up with no electricity for shipping overseas to 3rd world countries for a couple of church missions. Had his own machine shop to create parts that were no longer available. He might still be in the yellow pages!

If you take a look through the thread injector pics you'll see that a lot of us use older machines that are built to withstand long decades of use. They're available at reasonable prices because a lot of people don't realize how valuable they are to those of us that sew.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Saab - Since your in Bloomington and I'm in Martinsville, I will give (free) you my Janome thread injector. Has been fully serviced. You just need a bobbin, needle and thread. All you have to do is come pick it up.

Comes with a carrying case. Made in the early 70's. Weighs over 20lbs so I can't mail it to you. Does straight and zigzag stitches only. Should hold you till you find something better. I'll even show you how to use it.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    /wishes he lived closer to Lost Biker Dave

• + New Posts