HH exped asym zip
    Tarp
    DIY "Penta-tarp"
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex
    Suspension
    G-clips, rings

finally started!

Got some stuff from Simon over at Tier, and got a UQ built!I would give my stitching a D+, my skills are a bit rusty.
    Outer is some red/orange argon90 (this stuff is awesome, I'm stoked to use it on my top quilts) the black is some cheap PU coated nylon. The liner side is just nylon taffeta to allow good airflow into the quilt (and because I'm cheap) fill is two layers of 2.1 climashield. I was going to do a single layer, but during the initial testing, I wasn't 100% on it, so I figured better to go warmer, as its easier to adjust cooler. Suspension is 2mm shock, and dutch quilthooks. I did some quilting by hand, just to hold the fill in place a bit, its not that great, and I'm debating just running some quilting lines over the whole thing. But I'll see how it goes on the trip I'm taking next week. It will be paired with a light down bag as a TQ for the trip.
    I plan to do a 6oz set, and I'm thinking a 2.2 top quilt. Which should give me some pretty good adaptability. I don't think I'll have time to get those done in time for the trip, but it may happen. In which case it will come down to the forecast as to what I take. (although since its a paddling trip with an enforced swim, my bet is I'll take the warmest of what I have)

Some lessons learned. It ends up being pretty much exactly my height, which means I lost more than I planned on in length. But thats my poor planning skills. So I'll do the other ones longer. I wanted 1mx2m, and got a little less than that, so it works, but for the 6oz, which is going to be my solid cold weather set, I'll oversize them quite a bit more. I lost about 10cm out of the width, and 20 out of the length.
    Very happy with the compressibility, and pack-ability of the UQ.
    One thing I will probably do for the rest of the set is to keep the argon to the TQ, I'm feeling like its big advantage is the feel, so I'd rather have that where I feel it. Some may differ on that, But thats my thoughts, so it will probably be reserved for the top half of the quilt, where I'll feel it most. So yeah, a few screw-ups, and quite a bit of seam ripping, but when its all said and done, I'm happy with what I've come out with.
    Next project is a big tarp, Its an offset diamond/hex hybrid, so we'll see how it works out.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    0 Lynx, MMSS
    I am not a DIY type but I wish you the best of luck. Hope it turns out well!

Hammock
    HH exped asym zip
    Tarp
    DIY "Penta-tarp"
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex
    Suspension
    G-clips, rings
    Today was productive. Learned a few things. First off, bigger is better. My dimensions were far too small. I ended up with a 38 inch wide top quilt. It just doesn't wrap around like I was hoping. Its with the 6.0 apex. But it does fit well into my swag, so I think it will get used there. It is nice and soft, and on a flat surface, somehow it seems to work better. But I don't really know. Argon 90 and 1.0 ripstop. I then did a larger TQ with some of the 2.2. The lighter insulation was far wider, so its nearly the full fabric width, and about 80 inches long. It wraps around in the hammock better, again, argon and regular nylon. A few other things I've found. The insulation has started to fall in the UQ, so I'm going to try to look into getting it quilt stitched, or seeing how to set my machine up for that. I've still got some 6, which I'll use to make a much larger UQ still for winter, and probably a wider 6.0 TQ.
    I have a bunch of work to do to get stuff ready, since I'm living in the hammock next week. Should be good. Expected night temp around 5-10C, and dewy

• + New Posts