Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    HEX
    Insulation
    Super Shelter

All Weather Space Blanket Over cover

I had time to kill today and was going over some gear from my recent outing.. While sitting in my Hennessy in the garage I thought "why couldn't I use my Grabber all weather Space blanket as an over cover?" Of course the first thought was condensation, but pitched asym style there is a gap at both the foot and head area..

So what to do.. I set it up all the way and took a nap. Outside temps per thermometer was 47F. After my short nap (45 mins) the inside temp of the hammock was 65F. Although only a short time, I didn't feel damp at all and had kicked off my wool blanket.

Now I think thats enough of a gain for me to continue to experiment with this setup..

Pics and video to come soon..

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I'd be inclined to leave a bit of air gap down low near my face. That picks up some fresh air and loads it with most of the moisture to exit out the top. I did that with one of the emergency blankets and it was nice. ;-)

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    I'm curious to see how this pans out.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Seriously - not long enough - A couple years back I was forced to use one overnight and by 3am it was raining inside the blanket. you need to look at the humidity and how much water you had to drink that day. I no longer carry one.
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I like the idea of the asym pitch.

Hammock
    WBBB DL1.0
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 0*
    Suspension
    Web Straps
    Grabber space blankets are too short to be an effective rain fly. I wish they would make a bigger one.

I have used them in sub-freezing weather for heat management. They have worked out surprisingly well. I had one in the bottom of the hammock under my pad. I had a second over the hammock like a bear burrito oven. I fully expect, but haven't had any condensation issues yet. I guess there is just enough air gap. I did test the temperature one night. Inside the hammock on the ridge line was 47-50*F and the floor outside the hammock was 29-32*F. It was in the shed outback so wind was a non-issue. I am not sure how the set up would do in the wind. Now that I have a 3/4 underquit, I don't use a space blanket under me. But I will still use one on top of the bug net in freezing weather. I have not taken readings. With only the top cover the air in the hammock "feels" cooler. But snuggled between the underquilt and a sleeping bag I don't really mind.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Zip
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    I have been thinking of trying a setup like this myself. I believe to have a real test you have to try it overnight. I would be really interested to hear the results if you do an extended test.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Seriously - not long enough - A couple years back I was forced to use one overnight and by 3am it was raining inside the blanket. you need to look at the humidity and how much water you had to drink that day. I no longer carry one.
    Not enough ventilation. I did it before Hennessy came out with his over cover. Now I use one of them. The issue is not to make it too tight. Most of the moisture will be at the head end so leave the peak open and a gap at the bottom. Even with the bug net there will be enough air flow to let most of the moist air from your breath out before it condenses if you are above freezing.

Cutting back on hydration to try to stop condensation is counter productive to your body.

Hammock
    DIY Dbl Layer 1.1 oz ACU
    Tarp
    WB, SF
    Insulation
    Jacks-r-Better
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    I use a space blanket over my hammock's ridge-line. I laid it out asymmetrically and tied a couple of lengths of cord to blanket, which i use to lash on to the ridge-line using taut-lines. I find there is ample ventilation. I have also put a SOL emergency tarp in my pad channel with a camp pad over it, and have yet to have pooling.

The only problem I have discovered is that I can't decide if I feel more like a baked potato or a container of Jiffy Pop.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV

"He enjoys true leisure who has time to improve his soul's estate."
    --Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DIY Dbl Layer 1.1 oz ACU
    Tarp
    WB, SF
    Insulation
    Jacks-r-Better
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    I learned a long time ago (in a galaxy far, far...) that a vital key to staying warm is to change 100% of your clothing before bedding down for the night. Sweat accumulated during the day in your clothing will chill you by night. I carry two sets of thermal underwear (and socks) to alternate my night/day garb.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV

"He enjoys true leisure who has time to improve his soul's estate."
    --Henry David Thoreau

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast