Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst

To our Great DIY Crowd...What would you do with 4 patrol bags??

Ok, so I'm sitting here with 4 patrol bags that I knee jerked won on Ebay, but at 5 a piece and free shipping....there's got to be something worth while to make them into.

We already use patrol bags as our TQ, so we don't need them there.

We have 3/4 length down UQ, that I made and are supposedly good to 20 degrees, but I get cold easily. I want make something to help the UQ work even better.

I've already cut into two of the patrol bags and kind-of squared them out. One end is a bit narrower. No Zippers and hemmed the sides, not the ends yet. Hoods are off, but still here. I knew with my width that I couldn't use as is for a peapod around the hammock and remain comfortable. (the other 2 bags are fully intact still).

Ideas: sewing together to get more width and doing a sort of peapod?

I also like this in the very first post picture http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...903#post863903

Perhaps adding to the length and spraying with some DWR to make an insulated undercover that goes over the down UQ?

I also have the option of using different hammocks to make into permanent winter hammocks if that helps the creative juices to flow. I may end up doing that anyways since my hammock is just so big I could leave it for 3 seasons and switch to the narrow hammock for winter mode.

I'd like to make "whatever" into 2 set-ups, one for myself, and one for my son.

If you had 4 patrol bags to do anything you wanted to, what would you try to attempt?

Hammock
    HH explorer deluxe
    Tarp
    hex tarp
    Insulation
    wrapped 2" airpad
    Suspension
    ascenders/biners
    I like the idea of sewing together for a makeshift peapod, sounds interesting. I'd love to see pics of the end result!
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
    Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

What???

What the heck is a patrol bag???
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanguru View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken its a military sleeping bag. The 3 piece sleeping backs have 1 cold weather bag, 1 mild weather sleeping bag (AKA Patrol Bag) and a Goretex bivy

I would use them as sleeping bags, They are heavy by compassion to what you can make on your own

Hammock
    Original Appalachian
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    20F Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanguru View Post
    It's the lightest sleeping bag in the Military Sleep System - comfort rated to about 30F (I think). The rest of the system is a cold weather bag that's rated below 0F by itself or you can button them together for a -30F combo. The last part is a GoreTex bivy bag. Sometimes you'll see it listed in military surplus as a four part system, but the fourth part is just a compression sack.

The MSS is a cheap and durable alternative to high dollar down bags, but it weighs about twice as much.

Hammock
    diy,SB,WB
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    HG , Diy
    Suspension
    Whoopassees
    From what I read the Military rating is more of a you want freeze to death as apposed to you will be comfortable. No matter what the rating $5 is a good deal.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by floorman View Post
    From what I read the Military rating is more of a you want freeze to death as apposed to you will be comfortable. No matter what the rating $5 is a good deal.
    The ones that we use for our TQ actually did get us down to 35 perfectly warm and cozy. I've not tested to the 30 degrees because below that temp I have fleece TQ liners that I made that go inside of them. We have had the combination down to 12 though with no problems. I would have to say that 30 is not too unreasonable for the ones that aren't heavily used and beaten down. With the zippers and the reinforcements around those zippers removed, they actually don't weigh much at all for a TQ.

Really, I've conquered keeping the top part of me warm enough, that I'm not too concerned with that, It's the lower part that seems to always be screaming, "more warmth"!
    Last edited by DivaB; 11-27-2012 at 19:34.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Images
    You could sell them to me

I"m looking for a good, light 3 season bag to use with my hammock, and one to make into an UQ out of.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I'd think your best bet may be to make either a pea pod or an insulated sock. Of course it's rare that we get below freezing temps for more than a night or two around here, so what do I know about winter camping?
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    I'd think your best bet may be to make either a pea pod or an insulated sock. Of course it's rare that we get below freezing temps for more than a night or two around here, so what do I know about winter camping?
    ....I've not really bought into the insulated sock idea. My socks have never really been fitted per say, so that my UQ doesn't get compressed. Keeping with the purpose of the sock, I actually asked this in another thread, and got no answers, but if someone could please enlighten me on the purpose of an insulated sock, I would really appreciate it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast