Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    Si Nylon Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest

Ideas to lighten my pack for the PCT

I thru hiked the AT with my Hennessy Ultralight explorer with sil hex tarp, Mt Washington 4 underquilt and WM 20 deg Alpinlite sleeping bag. They served me well and I know they would suffice just fine on the PCT starting mid April.
    However I want to lighten my pack.
    I am fairly well set on changing my sil Hex tarp for a Cuben tarp from Hammockgear and my sil poncho for a cuben packa, this saves me about 19 oz if I am not mistaken.
    I carry a neo air for ground sleeping and I am not prepared to forgo this, the problem has been that the NEO is single use, I found it essentially unusable inside my hammock.
    My thoughts now are to switch to a Blackbird 1.1 double and use the Neo between the two layers and supplement with something really light for extra insulation. I want to get similar under warmth to my JRB Mt Washington4.
    Does anyone have any reccomendations. The Neo (or something similar) is coming along no matter what so the savings come from replacing the Mt Washington UQ with supplemental insulation to go with the NEO.
    Another change I am considering is to replace the WM bag with a 0 deg topquilt from Hammockgear (I have a 40 deg topquilt but for me that would not do except for Nor Cal and Oregon)
    I carry down pants (lighter than long johns and warmer) and a down jacket so I have camp gear that will extend my temperature range. I also carry a Kleen Canteen which with a sock serves as a very effective hot water bottle when the weather is cold.
    I will not have an opportunity to test out prior to my hike beyond a few hours in the back yard, temperatures in Lubbock probably wont be close to So Cal desert or Sierras and an overnight outside is painfull with barking dogs and EMS sirens. I need to get it close to right first time. Of course if I get it wrong my wife can ship my existing gear to me but that would be a lot of wasted money.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    Get a Top Quilt, and a lighter/shorter Under Quilt, and swap the Neo for a torso length EVA foam pad, then you have backup for ground or hanging.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Here is a video I made showing off my gear with a sub 10ib base weight. Maybe you can get some ideas to help you out. Good luck on your quest. I envy you.

Fronkey

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Web for now
    Do you have a gear list with weights? Might make it easier for us to give some comprehensive feedback.

How wide is your Neo Air? I know that some are 25" wide, which would likely be welcomed extra coverage. Some have a higher R value when deflated than others too.

I'd be interested in how low of a temp you could go with just the Neo Air in a double layer as well.

I like the idea of using a pad when hanging isn't possible, but I can't use just a foam pad any more. I need some thinkness! I've never slept on a Neo, but I LOVE my Big Agnes Clearview.

If I was going to ultra light, I'd do a 2/3 or 3/4 in 20* or 40* w/ the NeoAir.

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    Si Nylon Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    My Neo is 21 inches wide, I believe its good to 32 deg on the ground so it would have to be supplemented with something if used in the hammock.
    Perhaps I need to try a night on an EVO pad but I doubt it would work for me (I am medicare age). I have an old ZRest so if I can tolerate that then an EVO might work. I am probably looking at no more than 4 to 6 days on the ground for the entire hike and all of those before the Sierras.
    Thanks for the good info.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Web for now
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardD View Post
    My Neo is 21 inches wide, I believe its good to 32 deg on the ground so it would have to be supplemented with something if used in the hammock.
    Perhaps I need to try a night on an EVO pad but I doubt it would work for me (I am medicare age). I have an old ZRest so if I can tolerate that then an EVO might work. I am probably looking at no more than 4 to 6 days on the ground for the entire hike and all of those before the Sierras.
    Thanks for the good info.
    I watched Fronkey's video, and found his gear list here: http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=10118

Haven't seen that site before, I've always just wrestled with a spreadsheet! Converting mine as I get me new gear in. I'm hoping for sub 15lbs.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    HF member Chop (trail name Beardoh!) posted trail journals for the AT and the PCT. I think he cut weight by not taking a stove. I'm not sure how much of his day-to-day diet was trail magic, but it certainly helped a lot.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL/Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Toxaway/Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Take a good look at other hammock options. The WBBB is a great hammock, but not particularly ultralight. Dream Hammocks Darien UL, or many non-bug net integrated options out there. If you do decide to evaluate other hammocks, make sure you have it dialed in nicely before you leave. This will depend a lot on your height and weight. Personally, I think a WL snipe is a very well balanced comfort to weight hammock, but there are certainly much lighter options out there (BIAS Weight Weenie/Micro, DIY).
    The adventure begins when everything goes wrong.
    -Yvon Chouinard

My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/SaabZomb...ow=grid&view=0

Hammock
    All of them.
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season,Cuben
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm not sure why you suggested using a 0° top quilt, but if you used a 20° top quilt, you would save approximately 10 ounces compared to the WM sleeping bag. I've used my 20° top quilt down to the mid teens without supplementing with clothes. It's darn warm. You could get the top quilt lighter by using M50 fabrics, but it's pricey.

Gatorade bottles are lighter than Kleen Kanteens but they are not suitable for very hot water.

Did someone mention the Darien UL Hammock yet? That will save significant weight compared to a double layer Blackbird.

David

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    If you are going to be on the PCT you will get rained on and the sil stuff will absorb water and get heavy (not to mention stretching). Replace it with Cuben.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast