Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boothill View Post
    that looks like the ever elusive creature the "farting owl" in its natural habitat

boot
    Yes it is. He, Ringtail(food), and myself were up there last winter.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wash 3
    Suspension
    whoopie!!!
    Maybe it's late enough into the weekend that it won't really matter but maybe it does- just so everyone's aware, the Superbowl is Feb 3.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. Hang your own hammock from them as the winds blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. - John Muir (you know, all but the hammock part)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RkyMtnChkwgn View Post
    Maybe it's late enough into the weekend that it won't really matter but maybe it does- just so everyone's aware, the Superbowl is Feb 3.
    We typically break camp right after breakfast on Sunday morning and head home.
    For most in the Denver metro area and the Springs is about a 1 hour drive home.

For those traveling any distance, Denver has some of the best sports bars for game watching.

EDIT: With further thought, I'm not a FB fan and did not consider the SB, sorry.
    If this game is an issue I have no problems rescheduling.
    Let's see what everyone who is planning to make this trip thinks.

For me, Colorado bluebird weather is paramount and there is no way to predict that until about 3 days before the weekend.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 12-24-2012 at 11:37.

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

I am a football fan

I am a football fan. The Broncos might even be playing in that game, but no conflict for me. We will be home in plenty of time for the game/party.

I do not really understand football. The Bengals ran for only 14 yards and still beat the Steelers, but the Chiefs ran for 352 yards and lost to the Colts. Go figure.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I might have a new (to me) fifth wheel by then. If y'all wanted to pick a place a 38' trailer could go, we could have a heated base. Definitely don't want that to replace campfire time, though...there's nothing like drinking hot bourbon cider warmed on the fire, with friends. (Almost said "hot bourbon cider with friends warmed on the fire" but that would be weird!)

I'm all good for a short backpack, too...whatever will get the most folks there!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    there's nothing like drinking hot bourbon cider warmed on the fire, with friends. (Almost said "hot bourbon cider with friends warmed on the fire" but that would be weird!)
    would of been down right scary if it was being posted by cannibal!

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Images
    Was thinking of heading up and scouting the snow conditions on the 12th (Saturday) if we get a little break in the weather. Will take gear to spend the night and decide once there.

If anyone else would like to join me that would be great.
    Planning to leave the house Sat morning between 9-10 in the AM.
    Will post campground and trail condition picts on my return.

Images
    With nothing to do today (all honey do's complete) I decided to gather and weigh the winter kit I plan to take on this trip.
    Hopefully it will help you in your kit decisions and if I forgot anything please leave a comment.
    I totally forgot how bulky winter gear can be. Sure am glad I picked up this monster of a pack when it was on sale for 79 bucks.
    It's huge but I needed every CI. Total weight with all gear, food and water containers sans water 24#

Items inside:
    Sleep system: Winter Gnome hammock with breathable top cover, 20F full UQ, UQP, 5F SB, 12'x8.5' syl tarp with doors one end, 6 snow stakes.
    Camp clothing: Heavy Down coat with hood, syn overpants, assorted gloves and mittens, watchmans cap, 2 pair spare socks.
    Cooking: White gas stove and snow melting pot, pot gripper, Caldera Cone, alky stove, 800ml Ti pot, coffee cup, long handled spoon.
    Misc: ditty bag with all the usual personnel items, TP etc. Chemical hand warmers, headlamp, camera, spare lighter , fire steel.
    Food: Mtn House FD with fresh additions like extra cheeze and or meat, Honey Jack, poptarts, Christmas fudge, Via coffee, Hot Chololate.

The side pockets are for whitegas and water. I've always had an issue with packing liquids with my down.

Just making this post I just realized I need some wood processing tools.
    Will add a 24" saw(1#) and batoning knife.(1/2#)
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-01-2013 at 16:16.

Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    Hopefully my gear will arrive in time for this! I should be fine... So long as there is wood to burn. I just found this and was kinda hoping for the wolf preserve again, but this sounds cool as well. Plus anyplace vetted by OnB has to be worth a look see. And i dont have classes friday thru sunday. Should be able to make it, like 89%...

Whats the stats? Water available assuming snow is lacking? Driving directions or way to find them? Also, anyone heading up from colorado springs, it be useful to have someone to follow up.
    Last edited by Isheian; 01-07-2013 at 00:31.
    Rules to live by:The Wizards Rules
    Anything can be solved by the proper application of High Explosives. Or a shot of whiskey...
    Meaning of the EOD Badge
    Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures derived from inconclusive experiments, performed by persons of doubtful mental capability with instruments of problematic accuracy.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    3-season yeti set
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I'm in. Gotta get back to my natural habitat

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast