DIY Dbl Layer 1.1 oz ACU
    Tarp
    WB, SF
    Insulation
    Jacks-r-Better
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images

KS>Woodridge Wildlife Area>7-9 Dec 2012 - KC Area winter hang...round TWO!

Per mods request, please continue discussions on this hang here.

Here is the link to prev. posts.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=57166
    Last edited by RamenShamen; 11-28-2012 at 14:01.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV

"He enjoys true leisure who has time to improve his soul's estate."
    --Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Thank you Ramen!

Hammock
    DIY Dbl Layer 1.1 oz ACU
    Tarp
    WB, SF
    Insulation
    Jacks-r-Better
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    No problem Owl. I am looking forward to meeting everyone. I hope to see the guy that I met at Woodridge that turned me on to HF.

I am sure my lil lady would too... but instead of shaking his hand she may want to swat him with a broom for diverting so much of my attention. hahaha
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV

--Henry David Thoreau

cool - regional page will make it easier to find "local" stuff.
    thanks for the head's up.

Hammock
    DIY Dbl Layer 1.1 oz ACU
    Tarp
    WB, SF
    Insulation
    Jacks-r-Better
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    I was out there this weekend, 11/30-11/2 and the gate was still open. I am not sure if it will be open all season, but it was a sure was a nice surprise.

--Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DIY cinched end
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    So far thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggle
    Quote Originally Posted by RamenShamen View Post
    I was out there this weekend, 11/30-11/2 and the gate was still open. I am not sure if it will be open all season, but it was a sure was a nice surprise.

Hello! I am from the Lawrence area and I am newb to hammocking. I am in the process of gathering materials for a DIY a hammock and a tarp. Hopefully it turns out. I'm getting my materials from DIY Gear Supply. I cannot find a supplier close to Lawrence that has the right stuff. The fabric shops look at me like I'm crazy when I ask them for 70D ripstop nylon. HAHA

Referring to the quote above and if you didn't know already, I think Woodridge is open all year round for hiking and camping. They close the gate so you cannot park inside. My wife, dog and I go out there and hike the 4.5 mile trail all the time. That's where I would love to start hammock camping. Its crazy beautiful out there.

Hammock
    DIY Dbl Layer 1.1 oz ACU
    Tarp
    WB, SF
    Insulation
    Jacks-r-Better
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by namnat View Post
    Hello! I am from the Lawrence area and I am newb to hammocking. I am in the process of gathering materials for a DIY a hammock and a tarp. Hopefully it turns out. I'm getting my materials from DIY Gear Supply. I cannot find a supplier close to Lawrence that has the right stuff. The fabric shops look at me like I'm crazy when I ask them for 70D ripstop nylon. HAHA

Referring to the quote above and if you didn't know already, I think Woodridge is open all year round for hiking and camping. They close the gate so you cannot park inside. My wife, dog and I go out there and hike the 4.5 mile trail all the time. That's where I would love to start hammock camping. Its crazy beautiful out there.
    Check the Super Walmart on Iowa for fabric.

--Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by namnat View Post

Are you coming out this weekend, Namnat? You're welcome, even if you don't have you hammock/tarp completed yet. Heck, even just stopping by to visit for a few if you're not ready to camp out yet...tents are also welcome!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    OK...so I'm not 100% on the attendance yet, and definitely not sure WHEN folks are arriving, but here's the attendee list as far as I know it at this point:

Owl
    Weasel
    Ramenshaman
    Fuhgawee
    1066vik (+1 from BCUSA)
    Skygzr
    Vicky
    Dudorino
    Tunaslayer

My hope is that Weasel and I will be onsite around noon tomorrow, but as always the wife's "can you do this before you go" list is growing, so not sure yet on when we'll be there tomorrow, other than hopefully before dark. We plan on setting up at the trailhead tomorrow night for sure, so if you're not sure who/where once you arrive, walk to the middle of the trailhead and shout "Whoooo buddy!!!" as loudly as you can. If there are other folks out there not from the forums, they'll look at you and wonder...the rest of us will likely answer to give you a direction of travel.

Looking forward to seeing y'all there! Safe travels, and hope your hammock is comfy!

Hammock
    DIY cinched end
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    So far thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggle
    Quote Originally Posted by 1066vik View Post
    Yup - we all know it's open but the gate is shut -- that's why folks are surprised the gate has been open as recently as this past weekend.
    try asking for 1.7 or 1.9 oz/yard ripstop rather than 70D.
    also check the DIY forum for one of the tablecloth hammock threads -- can't remember the website, but they sell crinkle taffeta tablecloths in perfectly suitable for hammock making sizes for less than $20.
    you are more than welcome to join us this weekend - and if there's gear you or the wife need, it's possible one of us could help. (for example I have one of the $25 hammocks from wally world I use as a loaner at times)
    I will defiantly look in to that. Im trying to make the hammock, tarp and UQ all out of the same pattern. For example, a coated 1.9 woodland camo fabric. Also, I've been reading on here how to re-purpose poncho liners for UQ. I really like the ideas everyone has.

Quote Originally Posted by RamenShamen View Post
    Check the Super Walmart on Iowa for fabric.
    I never even thought about looking at Walmart. Didn't think they carried stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Are you coming out this weekend, Namnat? You're welcome, even if you don't have you hammock/tarp completed yet. Heck, even just stopping by to visit for a few if you're not ready to camp out yet...tents are also welcome!
    I would love to come out and "hang" with you guys, but I have to work this weekend. Hopefully I can make it to other hangouts in the future.
    "Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth." - Jules Verne

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast