Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tarp Question- Ridge Line Over tarp?

One thing I'm having trouble understanding is why you have a continuous ridge line over the tarp. Is it just so you can tie prusik knots in order to have the ability to slide the tarp from side to side? I tied my tarp simply using a short length of Nite-ize at the end of each tie out. Basically the "knot method" shown here:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=16650

To adjust the tarp between the trees I loosen one end and tighten the other. I can see how this might be a little easier if it were fixed to a line with Prusiks, but you would still have to adjust at both sides.

I get why you might want a ridgeline under the tarp...but what is the point of over? Thanks for helping a noob understand.
    Last edited by Mak; 11-28-2012 at 13:34.

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I think one reason is that some line can, over time, cause wear on some tarp materials if the ridge line is under the tarp.
    With beauty all around you, may you walk.

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    It's a highly discussed, rarely agreed upon subject. Personally, I like mine over the tarp. It has been reported that some hollow braid lines can carry water under the tarp, like a conduit, even while using drip lines.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Over the top or under - i tend to do it so i can align my tarp to my hammock quickly without tying and untying.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I used to do over the tarp because I wanted to accomodate the upward catenary cut of my WB tarp. I now just tie off each end. I simply have prusiks on the ends with the line going to each tree. For me it's the same as having the CRL without that extra 10 or 11 feet of line that goes over top of the tarp. I can still adjust the tarp and centre it over my hammock.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Thank you all for the responses!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I used to do over the tarp because I wanted to accomodate the upward catenary cut of my WB tarp. I now just tie off each end. I simply have prusiks on the ends with the line going to each tree. For me it's the same as having the CRL without that extra 10 or 11 feet of line that goes over top of the tarp. I can still adjust the tarp and centre it over my hammock.
    That is what led me to my question. I'm basically using the same setup (I think). I tie the line to the tie out (d-ring) of the tarp, around the tree, back through the ring and then tie the line back to itself with a taut-line hitch. This basically acts like a prusik and I can easily tighten or loosen the "loop" around each tree by sliding the taught line.

I've also played with the same set up using figure 9's in place of the taut-line knot which makes it a little easier, just more parts involved.

I think I might play with a CRL just to see if I notice a difference!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottybdiving View Post
    It's a highly discussed, rarely agreed upon subject. Personally, I like mine over the tarp. It has been reported that some hollow braid lines can carry water under the tarp, like a conduit, even while using drip lines.
    Ahhhh...I can definitely see this as a con against the ridge under the tarp . Thanks!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mak View Post
    Thank you all for the responses!

That is what led me to my question. I'm basically using the same setup (I think). I tie the line to the tie out (d-ring) of the tarp, around the tree, back through the ring and then tie the line back to itself with a taut-line hitch. This basically acts like a prusik and I can easily tighten or loosen the "loop" around each tree by sliding the taught line.

I've also played with the same set up using figure 9's in place of the taut-line knot which makes it a little easier, just more parts involved.

I think I might play with a CRL just to see if I notice a difference!
    I'vev been using the method you're considering (with the fig 9s) for the last year, and it's been pretty much my preferred method overall.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Homemade Hex
    Insulation
    WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Tarp Videos

Take a look at this thread with illustrations and videos where a CRL is strung over the tarp:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=63271

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    i'm with bubba.

prussiks on the tie out d-ring, with the line running through for adjustment. attachment is at the tree via a dutch hook or micro biner.

i also rig my tarp lines above my hammock suspension, and at the same angle to avoid interference , and to work the my tarps cat cut ridge line.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast