WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Dutchware Q's

So I've been eying some dutchware, I suspect it's an inevitable side effect from hanging around here and consequently I have some questions:

1. Dutch clips - do you leave them on the straps? Are they easy to lose? I typically leave my biner on my straps on the BB and looking at the design of the DC, it seems like it would have an easier time falling off when not hanging.

2. Tarp flyz - been thinking of using these for my tie outs. Anyone done this (I'm sure it's been done)? I currently have the zpacks micro line locks, they work great but I find they are more difficult to get a tight pitch on the tarp as they are longer. Now I thought about simply tying the knot shorter and cutting off the rest, but I do use porch mode sometimes and like being able to use the same line to tie off at the stake. My last hang, I brought some groundhog stakes and was able to tie of only part of the line to get a nice tight pitch using only a short part of the line. However typically I use a Shepherd type stake, so it got me thinking of using the tarp flyz instead. I don't have a problem bringing different stakes when car camping but hiking, not so much.

3. Do the tarp flyz take a 1.25mm Z-line? Seems to me it would be no problem.

4. Currently using a fig 9 on both ends but am thinking of going to a CRL instead, with a dutch hook on one end and a tarp fly at the other end. What I really dislike about the fig 9 is that they are a pain to move if the distance isn't right. So was thinking about putting either a fig 9 or a Dutch tarp fly on a prussik for greater adjustability. Those that have put a tarp fly on a prussik knot to tie off one end, was this a better way to go? Did you stick with it?

I probably have a dozen other questions, but this should get me started I think. I am eagerly awaiting my CF tarp from HG and was thinking of upgrading my set up a bit.

Thanks,
    Mark

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7SL
    Tarp
    ENO Pro, Noah 12
    Insulation
    20* HGInc,GoL 3STQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I think I got the idea from Dutch himself, but I put a stitch in the loop to which my Dutch Clip is permanently attached. That keeps the clip from falling off.

I use a tarp flyz on a kleimheist. My 1.8mm Zing-it loops on 1.8mm Zing-it line slips pretty badly. I have been meaning to go to loops made from mason's line instead to see if it will grip a little better.

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    1) Leave the Dutch Clips on the strap. Put a stitch or two beside the clips (I used the thread injector but by hand is just as good) and they won't come off.

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by bab5freak View Post
    I put a stitch in the loop to which my Dutch Clip is permanently attached. That keeps the clip from falling off.
    That's a great idea actually.

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos View Post
    Thanks. And apparently my msg is too short so I'm writing this to meet the min requ...already met...

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Not sure if this is directly applicable to your situation, but Brandon has a video about pitching tarps on his website, in which he shows the Tarp Flyz connected directly to the split ring at the end of the tarp ridgeline. Also recommends them (and Tarp Keys) for tie-outs.

http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/setup.php The video is the "Basic tarp set-up"

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I put several stiches of RED thread....on the HEAD end of the straps/dutch clip. I got YELLOW thread on the foot end. That way, I can just glance at the clip in the sack and know which end of the hammock I have. (I also took some stamp letters and stamped into each clip)
    Yes the Flyz take 1.75 zing-it.
    You mean use a Flyz on the tie outs? Not sure why. I use Jacks R Better self tensioners, at the Y stakes. Then have a prussic at each tie out, so I can adjust from underneath the tarp. I have Flyz's on each end of the tarp. Easy to adjust and move up to a foot to center over the hammock.
    My Flyz's are attached to the line using prussic's also, so they all move.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    I put several stiches of RED thread....on the HEAD end of the straps/dutch clip. I got YELLOW thread on the foot end. That way, I can just glance at the clip in the sack and know which end of the hammock I have. (I also took some stamp letters and stamped into each clip)
    Yes the Flyz take 1.75 zing-it.
    You mean use a Flyz on the tie outs? Not sure why. I use Jacks R Better self tensioners, at the Y stakes. Then have a prussic at each tie out, so I can adjust from underneath the tarp. I have Flyz's on each end of the tarp. Easy to adjust and move up to a foot to center over the hammock.
    My Flyz's are attached to the line using prussic's also, so they all move.
    The thread idea is great. That should definitely take care of any worries about losing the Dutch clips.

Although I know they take 1.75mm zing-it, I was wondering if I could us 1.25mm Z-line such as the what Z-packs sells (for the tie outs only). I have and love the JRB tensioners. But switching to a CF tarp, my understanding is that I won't need the tensioners. So in an effort to save a tiny bit of weight and bulk, I was thinking of going to the 1.25mm Z-line.

Using a prussik to attach to the stake did also cross my mind but thought that the Flyz might work better if not just as well. If only because I could keep a longer line and when using trekking poles to put the tarp into porch mode, I wouldn't have to worry about more line.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I am not sure but z pack was using sheathed line. Tarp flyz are designed to work with hollowbraid line. They may cut the sheathing
    Last edited by Dutch; 11-29-2012 at 04:37.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast