Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images

CBS be gone, Warm butt i have.

Thought this might be helpful to some. Over the past couple of weeks i've been testing my winter Yeti with my Lite Owl. I had spent many many days and a few nights adjusting , tightening , loosening, adding over the ridge lifters etc to no avail. I kept getting cold spots at the low end of my butt and from the left side of the UQ. Somewhere i saw someone mention the dual suspension of Adam and Jennies UQ's and it caught my eye. I googled it and came up with Adam's update on suspension he did earlier in the year. I had already been thinking of adding loops on the corners with shock cord to keep the UQ in place and not slip up past my head so when i read this it resonated. I hadn't thought of the UQ sagging lengthwise being a problem . So yesterday i sewed loops on the corners and set it up with shocks cords and line locks to keep it taught lengthwise, adjusted it to get it in the right place for me in the hammock and bingo. Made a couple more slight adjustments and its solved my cbs and draughts. Warm butt i have. Good idea by Adam. So if your in my situation and can't get the right tweak give this a shot,,,worked for me.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL, DIY, ENO SN
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB GL4, REI SubK
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I've done something similar with mine. I have a JRB Greylock 4 UQ, which slides along a shock cord. It already had loops at each of the four corners, so I add a short piece of shock cord at the corner loops which is connected with prussiks to the main shock cord. This keeps the UQ from bunching up during the night, but I can easily move it just by sliding the prussiks. I'll try to get some pictures this weekend.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Might be something for me to look at further. Adam was going to set up a retro kit (or instructions) for older quilts for us who wanted to the newer suspension. Hope that's coming along
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    Might be something for me to look at further. Adam was going to set up a retro kit (or instructions) for older quilts for us who wanted to the newer suspension. Hope that's coming along
    If you have a bit of sewing skills it only takes a few minutes. I used quilting bias tape you get at the fabric stores for the loops. I already had the shock cord and line locks but i think cord locks would work to.

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

Hammock
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Actually have some line locks - and seems simple enough!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

- Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    The desired lengthwise tension is often underestimated by those new to underquilts (including me). I learned better when I got a JrB No Sniveller. I wonder how many times the Jacks have had to tell people to read the instructions that came with their underquilts.

Mbiraman, your posts always add to the collective knowledge, and this one is no exception. Thanks!

I've found that there is another factor that can also contribute to "cold spots at the low end of my butt" (my prostate and its associates thank you for that gentile description). If I lie with my legs extended so the top quilt can nestle around me there are minimal air spaces inside the hammock, but if I draw my knees up the space underneath them opens up to allow convection inside the hammock in that vital area. It wouldn't seem that it could make much of a difference between the quilts, as it were, but for me it does. Fortunately, I found a simple solution. I made a small pillow (6" x 12" x 1.5") stuffed with primaloft. I tuck it under my knees when I go to bed, and because of the geometry of a hammock with a body in it, it slides down against my butt. It stays in place absolutely reliably. At first I thought I would need to anchor it to the hammock, but it turned out that was not necessary. (FWIW, YMMV, yada yada...)

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    The desired lengthwise tension is often underestimated by those new to underquilts (including me). I learned better when I got a JrB No Sniveller. I wonder how many times the Jacks have had to tell people to read the instructions that came with their underquilts.

Mbiraman, your posts always add to the collective knowledge, and this one is no exception. Thanks!

I've found that there is another factor that can also contribute to "cold spots at the low end of my butt" (my prostate and its associates thank you for that gentile description). If I lie with my legs extended so the top quilt can nestle around me there are minimal air spaces inside the hammock, but if I draw my knees up the space underneath them opens up to allow convection inside the hammock in that vital area. It wouldn't seem that it could make much of a difference between the quilts, as it were, but for me it does. Fortunately, I found a simple solution. I made a small pillow (6" x 12" x 1.5") stuffed with primaloft. I tuck it under my knees when I go to bed, and because of the geometry of a hammock with a body in it, it slides down against my butt. It stays in place absolutely reliably. At first I thought I would need to anchor it to the hammock, but it turned out that was not necessary. (FWIW, YMMV, yada yada...)
    awesome. both to the doubled-up suspension --

and to the butt pillow. i cram my down jacket under my thighs, and as you say WV ,,, it stays well locked into place.

great points everyone! stay warm!
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post

That made me laugh. When i said " low end of my butt " i wasn't talking about buddy and the boys, i was talking about the bottom of my butt cheeks and upper legs, but hay if i helped then i'm happy. I had a pillow under my knee's but have swapped it out for a folded up down vest,,,,dual purpose idea.

bill

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    This solved my problem with my DIY synthetic sleeping bag UQ. Had the foot end cinched too tight, but when loosened, it let in cold air. Now have the foot pulled out lengthwise with shock cords from the corners going up to the whoopie loops. Ran another set of shock cords directly up from the corners to a carabiner on the ridge line. Looks great - stays in place and is tight along the ends & edges with full foot coverage. Will be testing it tonight.
    Wish fixing my CRS was as easy as fixing my CBS.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Are the line locks Clamcleats or similar? Did you decide on two locks and two separate shock cords a side or one looped over and tightened by a single lock? Sorry for all the questions!

- Bob Marley

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast