Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    I am going to personally claim the title of "Super Frozen Butt" in the next two months!!

Fronkey
    Sorry, champ.

That's the name by which I fight crime at night. That gives me dibsies.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Yeah, makes sense to me. I found it odd that SC would have a frozen butt hang. I vote SC adopt the title cool but hang, cause I've not found a site in SC that dead meat would freeze outside.

Hammock
    exped scout combi
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    polarpod
    I am going to personally claim the title of "Super Frozen Butt" in the next two months!!

Fronkey
    How about "Frozen A**"

Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    Yeah, makes sense to me. I found it odd that SC would have a frozen butt hang. I vote SC adopt the title cool but hang, cause I've not found a site in SC that dead meat would freeze outside.
    Youv'e said it all..............
    " Wiggs "

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    Ahhh, realtivity.

When I lived in Florida, it would always amuse me when the thermometer dipped to below 70°. On those mornings, I knew beyond any doubt, I would see people wearing parkas. One day the temp was 64° outside and one of my Tellers came bursting through the doors. I am not kidding when I tell you that she was not only shivering, but her teeth were clattering (they were real teeth )! I knew right then and there, I needed to leave that state.

I give props to all who venture outside their comfort zone, but I also believe in precendent. I agree with stairguy in principal, that Minnesota is the real "Frozen Butt Hang". It helps that it really is one of the coldest multi-day Hangs......so far.

Careful in issuing challenges around here. There always seems to be someone ready to step-up and set a new mark. That said, I think turk's record is pretty safe. With the wind chill, I seem to remember his temps being much lower than the balmy -30° reported here.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Careful in issuing challenges around here. There always seems to be someone ready to step-up and set a new mark. That said, I think turk's record is pretty safe. With the wind chill, I seem to remember his temps being much lower than the balmy -30° reported here.
    Turk is an inspiration and I really like watching his vids.

But, I am thinking a couple of Florida boys might take the record in a couple months.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    But, I am thinking a couple of Florida boys might take the record in a couple months.
    Records exist to be broken!
    Course, just camping in those temps doesn't set the record. You have to actually make it back to report them before they count!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Indeed, I live in Tulsa, same latitude as the as the carolinas, but there are actual winters there! And maybe it was the time, 90's, but that was the 1st time I remember seeing shorts & jackets as winter wear.

Are you sure you didn't do time in WV and confuse it with FL?

And I'm issuing no cold weather challenges here, my personal low, after 5 months of hanging is 23* with a Wilderness Logics SSUQ & space blanket, with a 15* down bag. I don't have the gear, the will nor the desire to compete for the most frozen butt of all. And for the foreseeable future, the SC "cool butt" hang maybe about my low temp. But since I've nearly adopted SC as home, because I really do love it here, and the folks are great as well, maybe we should call it the kewl butt hang.

As for the "real men" well that reminds me of a song from my youth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g23GiivXC78

Ahhh, realtivity.

When I lived in Florida, it would always amuse me when the thermometer dipped to below 70°. On those mornings, I knew beyond any doubt, I would see people wearing parkas. One day the temp was 64° outside and one of my Tellers came bursting through the doors. I am not kidding when I tell you that she was not only shivering, but her teeth were clattering (they were real teeth )! I knew right then and there, I needed to leave that state.

I give props to all who venture outside their comfort zone, but I also believe in precendent. I agree with stairguy in principal, that Minnesota is the real "Frozen Butt Hang". It helps that it really is one of the coldest multi-day Hangs......so far.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Records exist to be broken!
    Course, just camping in those temps doesn't set the record. You have to actually make it back to report them before they count!
    So true!
    I'll be out there for a month and that is what scares the crap out of me. Thankfully I'll be carrying a SPOT so they can find my frozen corpse.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'm stuck at work pretending I still care, so didn't look real hard, but I did find his (turk) planning thread where he discusses the temps he is preparing for on the trip. The part about -91° made the hair on the back of my neck stand up...again!

I don't think he got real close to that number, but dang, who decides they want to try that? turk be crazy!!!
    Trust nobody!

Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WEB
    Images
    Turk had a set up in which he used a small stove at -30. Wind can be a major problem in winter camping even when it is not that cold.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast