Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    What about thinking out the box. err.. bus. Somewhere there is a picture of a guy with a hammock slung under the frame of a semi trailer. One of the latino members or at least someone with that knowledge said the drivers often sling a hammock under the trailer while they are waiting to be loaded and unloaded. Wish I could find that pic. I don't know how you would go about rigging it up but it might be another option to look at. I also don't know if a bus would have enough clearance to do that.
    Here is a similar pic:

I doubt a bus has the clearance.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    I think he wants to be sleeping in it while the bus is moving, but I may be wrong. But I think that is why it can't extend into the aisle. At least that is the impression I got, that it would be when they are driving in shifts and sleeping or even sitting in a bus seat long term is very uncomfortable.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    I think he wants to be sleeping in it while the bus is moving, but I may be wrong. But I think that is why it can't extend into the aisle. At least that is the impression I got, that it would be when they are driving in shifts and sleeping or even sitting in a bus seat long term is very uncomfortable.
    Yeah it appears that Texas to Florida non-stop would require more than one driver and sleeping in motion. Gotta stay inside then...
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I am seeing a frame made of four 2x4 parts. One upright on either wall of the bus and a long one between the them at the bottom and the top to keep them apart as you hang from them. I know this would mean you would be going across the aisle, but.... You could hang a simple hammock from this frame if you could attach it somehow to keep it vertical on the walls. Just me thinking out loud. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If the bus is occupied with passengers at all nothing but nothing can block the aisle.

Question... and I don't know the laws... Would the laws allow you to travel in such a contraption? I know seat belts are not required... but something like you are talking might be considered a loose and unsecured object such that it could pose a projectile or flying hazard in the event of a collision or sudden evasive move. You'd think with all the buses travel on the road if something like this were permissible someone would have come with it before now.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Edited post above to add drawing.

And this is post 1000 for me.

I wanted to make a special post for my 1000th like I did for 500, but I couldn't resist.

What is the total length that we can work with here? It seems like your legs would be sticking into the aisles, unless you are pretty short or the seats are pretty wide. There can't be much more than 5 feet total for a bed there.

And now I am out for the night. SOOO tired!

Hammock
    Hennesy Ultra-Exp., Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Hennesy Hex
    Insulation
    Homebrew UQ & CCF
    Suspension
    Line and strap
    Thanks Finn for the drawings. I had/have a little trouble with the orientation of the the first set. I'm concerned with the second set afraid it may stress the reclining mechanism too much. Also the strap over the forward seat would be in someone's way.

Here's what I came up with....Drats....I thought I was smart drawing in Word but the file is too large to attach. How do I get a drawing in Word to translate to something I can put in here?

I'll have to convert to a PDF at school tomorrow.

I pretty much have to have my torso in the two seats from window to aisle. Legs and feet can hang out in the aisle. I'll get the drawings converted or redrawn tomorrow.

Goodnight and thanks.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennesy Hex
    Insulation
    Homebrew UQ & CCF
    Suspension
    Line and strap
    Here's my idea. Seems too simple but it might work.
    Bus Side View.bmp
    Bus Top View.bmp

Yes, I do not want the contraption to extend into the aisle. I can always move my feet out of the way.

As for safety, everything on the bus is a projectile. Ipods, computers, books, coke bottles, etc. so it is kind of a moot point.

I'm going to have to mock something up and try it out in a couple of buses.

Thankfully I'm not driving. We are chartering a bus. There are times we play in DFW area and travel home at night taking shifts driving (we travel 6-8 hours for our away district games). This trip I'm just looking for some overnight comfort.

I'll get back to you in a day or two.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I like the simplicity of it.

I'm dubious though that the 1" dowel is going to sit still on the window sill, just resting I am supposing, in the lip found there. You have a different plan for that maybe?

Grizz

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennesy Hex
    Insulation
    Homebrew UQ & CCF
    Suspension
    Line and strap
    I'll probably take some rope or strap and rig a harness of sorts to hold the dowel in place against the headrest to keep it from dropping. On some buses the seats are pretty tight against the window frame but there is a chance of it slipping down so I'll need to rig something.

The toughest adjustment may be getting the right sag. Too much and I'll be a banana and the circulation in my legs will be cut off. Too little and I risk sliding out into the aisle all night. I should be able to roll up or out the material to get the right drape. I may go with a 2x2 and router the center to round of the edges but leave the square ends to help prevent it from rolling.

I'm also scheming a footloop. It shouldn't be that hard once I get a feel for the hammock.

Thanks for coming along on this journey. Off to work on some prototyping.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast