Tarp
    SUPA FLY
    Insulation
    golite TQ, Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

Help making a stand please

So i saw the hammock stand post by alamosa, and got to thinking, you know i will eventually run into a situation where i might need something like this. So i went to Lowes and was looking at bamboo poles a la turtlelady, but they all looked too thin, how thick should they be?
    So i took some pictures and hopefully you geniuses can lead me in the right direction.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Those look to be a little on the small side. I don't think I'd go with anything smaller than 1" in diameter.

If you want to go with lumber and hardware instead of the bamboo route, do a search for a turtledog stand. This one is made with 2x lumber and steel hinges.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Yeah Id go alittle bigger that that. It it wasnt so expensive to ship the stuff Id ship you a ton of it for free. I have 3 Bamboo Groves at my house. The shipping cost on it is pretty high cuz of the shape i guess.

Hammock
    DIY Green Cat cut
    Tarp
    SUPA FLY
    Insulation
    golite TQ, Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Yeah Id go alittle bigger that that. It it wasnt so expensive to ship the stuff Id ship you a ton of it for free. I have 3 Bamboo Groves at my house. The shipping cost on it is pretty high cuz of the shape i guess.
    thanks i really appriciate that. is there anywhere i can order them from? or any places they can be found?

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rickycodie View Post
    thanks i really appriciate that. is there anywhere i can order them from? or any places they can be found?

Maybe a Local Nursery. Not sure if bamboo grows well in your area. I know it grows great in mine but our seasons arent as harsh as yours probably is. Im just inside of zone 8 and it grows all over the place here. If you end up ordering it online, the shipping will get abit expensive if the poles are of decent size. Wish I could be of more help. The offer still stands if you want me to ship you some. You would just need to cover the shipping is all. Bamboo has a hard time growing in zones 6 or lower. They need special care in those regions.
    http://www.shweeashbamboo.com/bamboo...aintenance.htm
    2006_Hardiness_Zones.jpg

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    I think they'd work.

The key is the compression pole connecting the towers. It would be great if you could find a piece of bamboo 10-12' feet long for that. Lash it all together with manila and it would look really cool.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    I think they'd work.

The key is the compression pole connecting the towers. It would be great if you could find a piece of bamboo 10-12' feet long for that. Lash it all together with manila and it would look really cool.
    Its possible but I have a feeling it will begin to split and crack after a few uses. I just looks too thin. Been crafting with bamboo for quite a few years and it is a remarkable material. Super strong for its size and weight. Excellent for just about anything. But it has its limits when it comes to thin diameter poles. If it were just a bit bigger, I would say you should have no issues. But then again, bamboo will surprise the heck out of you sometimes.

I guess its worth a try. But at the same time, $2.68 per pole is a bit pricey for me. If it works then awesome. You will have a super-duper light-weight portable hammock stand.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Alamosa's stand has got to be the ultimate in a portable outdoor stand but I don't believe that the vertical poles can be substituted with the bamboo used in the Turtlelady stand. The TL stand uses the bamboo in 3 legs in each tripod spreading the load through all 6 legs. To use bamboo for the 2 vertical poles of Alamosa's stand would require substantially larger bamboo to counter all of the variable stresses applied to them.

The Turtlelady stand was developed to allow her the opportunity to continue sleeping in her hammock while traveling and staying in motels. The turtledog was just the male need to add hardware and my desire to never sleep in a bed again. This is just to say that we all feed off of the input of others here. I still go to sleep in my hammock every night trying to devise the ultimate hammock, suspension, stand, etc. Keep the ideas flowing.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY Green Cat cut
    Tarp
    SUPA FLY
    Insulation
    golite TQ, Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I think i may have been less than clear about what i want to build. I am going for a turtlelady type stand. With two poles and a crossbeam.

Oh and i am currently doing a tdy in Mississippi. So i an staying in Gulfport.

Hammock
    DIY bridge+10 0thers
    Tarp
    HH Hex + DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ/U Q + DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Cinch Bu
    Since you are in Mississippi now you should be able to find some bamboo locally. It should then be heat treated to prevent cracking.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast