Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Hiking with your dog.....

I have a new four legged friend her name is maggie, Maggie is 12 week old Golden Retriever Husky mix, her breed is really called Goberian. I am working with her on leash training and it's going better then I expected. I now there are a lot of you out there that go hiking with your dog is there anything i should be working on with her to get her ready for trial hiking? Maggie wont see the trial untill summer time. I am hoping to have her ready for day hikes by early summer. Mags is great with other dog's and loves being around people. Lot's of mixed reviews with dog's on the trial any thoughts?

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    The most important thing you can teach your dog is a reliable "Recall". That could save their life some day. Other than that it's mostly common courtesy stuff.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Socialization, with other dogs and other people, important. Obedience to basic commands such as COME, STAY, DOWN, ect., mandatory, both for your dogs safety, and for keeping her/him welcome out with company.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    The most important thing you can teach your dog is a reliable "Recall". That could save their life some day. Other than that it's mostly common courtesy stuff.
    +1
    This one worked really well when we last trained a dog.
    http://www.amazon.com/Every-Puppy-Pe...uckduckgo-d-20
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    +1 on the advice given so far.

Another thing that's important to teach trail dogs is the commands to turn left and right. You want her to know these commands, trust me. Lol Also, to go, slow down and stop. You're smart to wait until she's grown to get her on the trail for long distances too as it better for the pup. Have fun with your new hiking partner.

Fronkey

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl lefty
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HGIncubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Adj.Web/Dutch clip
    Common courtesy is a must. We take it to an extreme. Graham is not allowed to approach people or dogs without my okay. I also pull him off the trail and have him in a down between my legs (safe command) whenever anyone is approaching us on the trail. Sadly, most people don't know it's a courtesy thing and automatically assume he is aggressive despite the fact that he is off leash and I'm not holding him. It's amazing how many people don't know obedience when they see it.

The key is to practice all trail behavior over and over whether there are people around or not. That way they just get into the habit of being courteous. I have been able to take Graham off-leash in areas that are full of people and have him down on the trail or stand and wait until I can catch up. He usually drops into a down whenever anyone approaches us before I can even tell him to!

Always keep your pup in sight and under control. Above all, have fun! It's a whole new hike when you bring a dog along
    I was told there'd be no math on this exam. ~T.D.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    + 1 on ALL Fronkeys' suggestions. Take her everywhere with you that you can. Expose her to different situations. School busses, playgrounds, 4 wheelers, boulders, road walks, motorcycles, creeks and rivers, gun shots anything you can think of. Be with her and show her new things when you can. I rarely let my dog off leash until he was over a year old. Teach her to wait until you say OK or whatever your release command is. My dog had a pack on very early and grew out of it and into the size he wears now. He sleeps on a piece of CCF under my hammock. Practice 'get on your bed.' Start out small and work up in distance. Now my dog ben( 26 months) can hike all day and still want to play at camp. The best trail partner you can have will be Maggie. Money can buy you a fine dog but only love can make it wag its tail!
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    BlackBird dbl 1.1+Dutchware
    Tarp
    SuperFly+Dutchware
    Insulation
    HG & Mamba
    Suspension
    Straps+Dutchware
    Images
    Two Tents- if all trail dogs could behave like Ben, the world would be a better place.

I hike with a guy who has a 110 lbs dog. That critter is a sweet heart.

Dogs are like kids...no one wants to be around the bratty ones, but a well behaved one is a joy to be around and adds to the experience.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench,a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free,and good men die like dogs.There's also a negative side"
    Hunter S. Thompson

Greg

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the kind words, Greg. I wish I was like ben, everybody likes him. I spend a ton of time with him and it shows.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Crow's Nest/RayWay
    Images
    I haven't read this, but found it at Amazon - could be helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Hounds-H...s+on+the+trail

Sky
    "The power of the imagination makes us infinite."

John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast