WBBB, WBRR, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly, Toxoway
    Insulation
    LeighLo quilts
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    L84toff,

After rereading my reply I think I should have stated (well let's just say I could have been nicer) my thoughts better.

If you are looking to lighten the load then most say whoopies are the route to go. I've considered them, but I still like the simplicity of straps and webbing. I was thinking you may not have considered just removing the straps and putting them in an outside pocket of your pack when they were wet. Like you said, the elephant in the room, the obvious answer sometimes eludes us.

Either way, hope you weren't offended by my rather blunt reply.
    2 trees, 2 straps, 2 minutes.., 2 comfy 2 care

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I thought you were also considering lightenting your set up as well.

I think it could fall in the same category as using biners on the webbing vs. feeding the webbing through the loop at the tree end. Either way works and one way is maybe 3 seconds faster but if you can do it quicker then why not? Also allows you to easily swap suspensions if you are like me and like to go back and forth between cinch buckles and whoopie slings. HYOH.
    Ok ok, I'll order the whoppies, no need to yell at me . Weight/bulk savings - yes, but also want simplicity and ease of use. I realize both meet that requirement. Only one thing to do - try it out and see.

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by EZ-E View Post
    L84toff,

After rereading my reply I think I should have stated (well let's just say I could have been nicer) my thoughts better.

If you are looking to lighten the load then most say whoopies are the route to go. I've considered them, but I still like the simplicity of straps and webbing. I was thinking you may not have considered just removing the straps and putting them in an outside pocket of your pack when they were wet. Like you said, the elephant in the room, the obvious answer sometimes eludes us.

Either way, hope you weren't offended by my rather blunt reply.
    I took no offence to what you said at all, I just thought it was funny that the thought never crossed my mind. I felt like Griswold when he takes his family to find the perfect Christmas tree and they trek forever into the forest, finds tree and all of a sudden realizes he didn't bring the chainsaw. DOH!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    You could use the existing loops that are holding the cinch buckles. Just attach a whoopie to it with a Dutch biner or whoopie hook. Saves you from replacing it and allows you to use the webbing easily if you have to bypass the whoopie slings. The cinch buckles are light and small enough to not be a bother but if you are striving for less clutter, then it may not be a consideration for you. Just a thought. I actually have the cinch buckles on my WBBB which is what I had at Valens. I have continuous loops on other hammocks.
    This is what I do as of now. Leave the existing loops attached and clip on some Dutch Hooks with DN Whoopies. Yay, flexibility! It's nice when I know I'm bringing the hammock somewhere where others will want to get into the hammock. Even if I know they don't approach the rating on DN whoopies, I made them myself and would rather not take the chance, lol. So I just toss the webbing on 'em and I know it's more than safe enough.

Works out well for me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Siltarp2
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EZ-E View Post
    L84toff,

If you are looking to lighten the load then most say whoopies are the route to go. I've considered them, but I still like the simplicity of straps and webbing.
    Are you using the original straps that came with the BB? I just got my BB 1.1 and ordered the webbing. But I thought it had some loops for adjustment like the Eno Slap Straps. I was going to swap out for those. But I think I should at least try the ones it came with first. Do you agree? I am a complete noob with hammocks--this is my first one and am doing my first hang next weekend.
    "YOU KIDS GET OUTSIDE AND AIR YOUR PANTS!"--MOM

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly, Toxoway
    Insulation
    LeighLo quilts
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    UrbanWild,

I've got a BB ordered that should arrive tomorrow. I've been using an Eno DN for the last two years. Stripped it down, put Arrowhead Equipment chain link and cinch buckles on it with polyester straps. This set up is the same as on the Blackbird and gives you infinite adjustabilty.

I wrap the looped end around the tree, thread the free end thru the loop and snug up to the tree. Do the same to the other tree. Then I thread the free end through the cinch buckle on one end of the hammock, adjust that side to a point I think is close to the final length, let the hammock out of the bag as I walk to the other tree and repeat. I do final adjustment to get the right lay.

Look up Brandon's video on the Warbonnet site, it gives a clear picture of setup. I just don't use the biners yet since the ones from Eno are heavy and onery Also, as everyone else says, check out Shug on you tube, he's a wealth of info and just plain fun to watch

Enjoy learning what works for you. HYOH!

Hammock
    dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    Hammockgear Cuben
    Insulation
    hg tq hg uq
    Suspension
    Buckles webbing
    exactly how I did mine, very simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by L84toff View Post
    Have been thinking a great deal about swapping out to whoopie slings lately on the Blackbird. And although I still might, what I really want is to be able to remove the (wet) suspension before packing up the hammock. Would a simple continuous loop and some dutch biners work?

Remove the current suspension from the hammock, attach the continuous loops where the old loops were, clip on the dutch biner and connect the stock hardware to the biner.

Now I suppose I can just roll up the wet webbing and keep it on the outside of the sack but then I still have to put it in my backpack. Also I realize that this idea adds a few grams the overall weight.

Good idea? Bad idea? You've done it and liked it - hated it? You went to whoopies anyway and love those more? I'm ordering some tarp hardware and was thinking I might as well do this at the same time.
    If a tree falls in the woods and it lands on mime, does anyone care?
    Gary Lawson

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanWild View Post
    Are you using the original straps that came with the BB? I just got my BB 1.1 and ordered the webbing. But I thought it had some loops for adjustment like the Eno Slap Straps. I was going to swap out for those. But I think I should at least try the ones it came with first. Do you agree? I am a complete noob with hammocks--this is my first one and am doing my first hang next weekend.
    I wouldn't jump to the slap straps yet. Many people feel they stretch too much. The stock WBBB is an easy to use, dependable system. I would pick up a set of lightweight carabiners, (I use the CAMP Nano 23s) and attach them to the end of the webbing. Around the tree, clip with biner, make adjustments with the buckles. Easy easy. I would also recommend the Shug 10 part hammocks for noobs series on youtube. You will learn a lot of good stuff.

I started with that setup and am convinced that it is the easiest setup out there right now. I switched to whoopies with a marlin spike hitch, because I wanted to be able to remove the suspension when it gets covered with sap, but the stock system works great also.

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanWild View Post
    Totally agree with weaver2469. Try the adjustable webbing suspension that came with the BB - it really is very easy to use. To be honest, I found some of the other suspension ideas intimidating at first, so I stuck with the stock. It really works well, especially for a noob. Then after a few months or more when you are comfortable with everything, or you discover something that you want to change about the set up (for me it's being able to remove the straps and also want something with less weight/bulk for hiking), change it out for something that maybe meets your needs better. Different things work for different people, hence the HYOH (hang your own hang) motto.

Also as a noob, I didn't want to spend more $ than I needed to get started - I mean what if I end up not liking hammocks , yeah right!

+1 on watching Shug's videos and also get yourself a copy of the ultimate hang (if you don't already have one that is), it's a great intro to hammocks.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly, Toxoway
    Insulation
    LeighLo quilts
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Got my BB in the mail yesterday It is everything everyone said it was. Unbelieveably light (lighter than my stripped down DN) and just as easy to set up since the suspension is the same. Brandon's webbing is much lighter than the repurposed ratchet straps I was using.

Hung it in my napping space in the woods behind my house. You do need the foot end quite a bit higher than the DN, but when I got it right it was sweet My Leighlo underquilt fit right away without any readjustment, if fact it fit better than on my DN. Closed my eyes and was out. Good thing I set an alarm or who knows how long I would slept

Looking forward to getting out on the trail with this one, thanks Brandon!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12