Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I'll do a little research and see about putting together a group buy on these biners.

Iafte,
    Does the screen printing seem like it's gonna hold up to wear? EDIT: Nevermind. It's laser etched.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

I would buy at least four biners

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'll buy at least 4.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    sounds like a poll might be in order to keep track of how many are being ordered....
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    I saw a few things in all this that brought up a concern. FishBone is talking about using these on a ridgeline system. The suspension lines connecting to the trees have greater forces on them than the ridgeline.

One concern/question is are these going to be used for the suspension lines and if they are, are they strong enough. The 500kg rating imprinted on them translates to 1100 lbs, or 4.9 kN (a kN is approxiamately 225 lbs). The Camp Nano Wire carabiners are rated at 22kN. Those are just the gate closed strength with in-line forces and doesn't take into account other forces, like the side/lateral motion when wrapped around trees. (When wrapped around trees on the end of webbing, there can be some force trying to bend the carabiner to comform to the curve of the tree.)

There is quite a bit of difference in 4.9 kN versus 22 kN and is that difference a concern in the applications it will be used for? Does anyone know enough about this to answer that?
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Mosquito Jungle
    Tarp
    Oware 8x10 w/Beaks
    Insulation
    DIY SPE w/ccf, etc
    Suspension
    JRB webbing
    Clarification: I'll be using these 'biners to suspend my hammock from a ridgeline system that will take the load (see posts by NEST). Ridgeline will be made up of 1" webbing clipped to trrees with a CAMP nano biner, then to a SMC ring, tied to Amsteel Blue ridgeline; alpine knots in Amsteel to clip the Lazer biners/hammock to. Pretty much the system I saw NEST have at the last MidTN hammock hangout. I'll let all know if I hit the ground!
    "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Sign me up for 4.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    I saw a few things in all this that brought up a concern. FishBone is talking about using these on a ridgeline system. The suspension lines connecting to the trees have greater forces on them than the ridgeline.

One concern/question is are these going to be used for the suspension lines and if they are, are they strong enough. The 500kg rating imprinted on them translates to 1100 lbs, or 4.9 kN (a kN is approxiamately 225 lbs). The Camp Nano Wire carabiners are rated at 22kN. Those are just the gate closed strength with in-line forces and doesn't take into account other forces, like the side/lateral motion when wrapped around trees. (When wrapped around trees on the end of webbing, there can be some force trying to bend the carabiner to comform to the curve of the tree.)

There is quite a bit of difference in 4.9 kN versus 22 kN and is that difference a concern in the applications it will be used for? Does anyone know enough about this to answer that?
    Can one of out resident quants mathmatically analyze the forces on the biner used for a suspension? I remember the thread about the strength of the suspension line/rope, but the forces against the biner (webbing and ring setup) are different. Worst case scenario...
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishBone View Post
    Clarification: I'll be using these 'biners to suspend my hammock from a ridgeline system that will take the load (see posts by NEST). Ridgeline will be made up of 1" webbing clipped to trrees with a CAMP nano biner, then to a SMC ring, tied to Amsteel Blue ridgeline; alpine knots in Amsteel to clip the Lazer biners/hammock to. Pretty much the system I saw NEST have at the last MidTN hammock hangout. I'll let all know if I hit the ground!
    I'm hoping I get two of these with "Nest" on them for Christmas for the same use.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    KAQ, Speer
    I think there was a hint in there for Mom
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
    George Carlin

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast