Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I was just going to recommend SGT Rock's Ghost hammock set-up. I made one recently, but I think the material I used is too stretchy... Not sure what it is, but probably 1.0 nylon. Got for a 100 yen (~$1) a meter.

DIY Backpacking Hammock? - Looking to make a short length with a flat lay

Mine is the green 2nds from DIY Gear Supply. My single layer rig seems strong enough for me at 165 lbs. I see no reason to think making a Ghost Hammock out of the same material would be any different.
    For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2 Cor. 4:5-6

Short

If you want a short hammock you need head and foot spreaders and two side spreaders. Now you have a cot with no legs.

I copied the fabric of a coleman cot. I use sticks for the sides and ends then hang low under my 10'x12' tarp.

I can stealth camp on a side hill. A cot with legs needs flat ground.

Hammock
    HammockBliss no see um
    Suspension
    home made webbing
    Images
    I saw a video by Dave Canterbury a while back that looked kinda cool. It was kinda like a hammock cot typ[e thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76_FuL6t6s0

The thread title is misleading. I shoulda said "relatively short". The reason I'm not going with spreaders/bridge hammocks is because it counteracts my biggest goal of shedding weight. I'd love to have a hammock under 8oz with a <8oz. tarp --- <1lb. total. The Ghost seems very feasible for that goal, and comfortable.
    For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2 Cor. 4:5-6

Ghost hammock is underway. The body is finished, as are the tree straps. Still working on the dynaglide UCR's and need to make a new SRL.

So far, the body weighs 5.6 oz and the straps weigh 1.6 oz.

Question - I am using some tow straps that I had laying around. They don't seem to stretch at all, and the tag says they are rated to 1200 lbs. I figure they are fine to use. Anyone have any reason to think otherwise? I always hang at 30* and I'm 170 lbs wet.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FightingTheTide View Post
    Ghost hammock is underway. The body is finished, as are the tree straps. Still working on the dynaglide UCR's and need to make a new SRL.

So far, the body weighs 5.6 oz and the straps weigh 1.6 oz.

Question - I am using some tow straps that I had laying around. They don't seem to stretch at all, and the tag says they are rated to 1200 lbs. I figure they are fine to use. Anyone have any reason to think otherwise? I always hang at 30* and I'm 170 lbs wet.
    Love the first line of the tag...lol Caution Item Made in China

Ha! Didn't see that.

Forgot to mention these are lighter than my previous straps...which fits my overall goal of going lighter.

Any reason to think they aren't strong enough?

It's finished! I have yet to test it, but it weighs in at 8oz.

Body: 5.6 oz
    UCR's &SRL w/ bag: 0.7 oz
    Toggles: 0.1 oz
    Tree Straps: 1.6 oz

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps &amp; buckles
    Images
    This one of several videos on Sgt Rocks ghost hammock. I believe is does have a foot box and is pretty lightweight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MGX0...=TLl8DId2gOJas

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast