Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°

First (brief) hang... who needs trees?

Didn't have access to the right kinds of trees today, so a friend kindly let me experiment on some support pillars for the deck at her house... worked a treat!

Did I get the UQ suspension right? I assumed this was where you hook it in:

Was delighted to find the whole thing actually more comfortable than my bed. I was a bit worried my beaten up arthritic joints would rebel, but swaying gently back and forth I could quite happily have gone to sleep. And I don't think I've even got the lay of it quite right yet, so very promising overall.

I'm a big guy and I'm used to worrying about things breaking... but not even a creak from the BB suspension. Think double 1.1 was the right way to go, single might've been pushing it.

Might have to tie a loop of something to the zipper so I can reach it though!

Sticking a hand between the UQ and the hammock, the air was extremely warm... we'll have to see how it performs once we get down to around -10 C. It's a no-extra-stuff 20 degree Incubator, which I'm hoping will be sufficient if southern New Zealand doesn't go too crazy with the weather in the next few weeks.

If the weather is getting extreme, could I close off the ends by staking them close to the ridgeline and using the pullouts to keep some space in the tarp? Or maybe just the windward end. Thought of figuring a way to attach my big raincoat to one end if necessary too.

Too much fun. Can't wait for the first night out

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

First (brief) hang... who needs trees?

Nice setup! I see that you had your backpack in that last picture; ready for some urban hiking!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°
    There would only be room for the hammock and nothing else in that one! But then... what more does one really need?

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    I like how you put newspaper down BUT shoes come off at the door! With plenty of green grass give your feet the barefoot treatment.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°
    Hah, yeah I was in and out of the thing so much I threw that in there. I'm a bit creaky, it takes me a little while to put shoes on!

No pictures really show it well enough to be sure...

But looks like your hanging it a bit tight from the first pics, and also from the one of your feet (looks a bit like its wrapping around firmly and keeping you centered)

Obviously you can and should do what ever you want, and what ever you find comfortable... But try a bit more sag in there, I found when I started I always wanted to make the thing look flatter in the back of my mind... But get some good sag in there, people here say 30 but I honestly get closer to 45 even maybe... (from horizontal, though at 45...)

That way you can get your head off on one side and let your legs flop over to the other a little bit more.

Though like you said, I am sure you have plenty more playing around to do before you get everything set just how you like. Looking comfy with some very nice gear

• + New Posts