Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    Too many clothes does NOT make one colder. Restrictive clothing makes one colder.

It does not matter whether your insulation comes from more clothing or more down in a quilt, it provides more insulation. However, not using that insulation correctly can have negative effects as is the case with clothing which restricts blood flow. As is the case with a quilt with extra down pulling it away from the hammock bottom.

A snug quilt and loose clothing will be warmer than any combination of of less optimal conditions.
    Well said. You are not going to get colder with properly layered clothing.

Have someone lay in your hammock while you make adjustments or you lay in there and have them make the adjustments. It's amazing how easy it is to get gaps just by moving a little bit in the hammock. It's also easy to create gaps by over-tightening the ends.

HY
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountnman View Post
    No disrespect but I must disagree, too many clothes will make you sweat therefore cause you to chill. If you let the bag do its job you should be able to sleep with nothing more than underwear and be fine. If temp drops below rating of insulation then supplementing with clothing is fine. Cold weather training while I was I'n the Marines we froze the first night with temps at 30 with all of our clothes on. Instructors laughed at us next morning and told us to sleep in our skivvies that night in our zero degree bag and we slept warm. To much of anything will cause dampness and you will get chilled.
    No disrespect taken. Actually we dont disagree at all. I specifically mentioned that innapropriate use could have negative effects. You bring up an excellent point. Too much insulation has diminishing returns as your body will try to compensate for being too warm.

Hammock
    TTTG SB1.9s / DreamHmk
    Tarp
    HG WinterKingdom
    Insulation
    HG M50 Superiority
    Suspension
    MakinWhoopies Bob.
    Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    Check your ends to make sure they are not cinched too tight. I had my phoenix out this weekend and got a chilly back in 40deg. As it turns out I had mine too snug and it was keeping the quilt from snugging up to the hammock. I'm not sure if this happens with the incubator. Worth a check.
    +1, seen this in my incubator.
    -Bill

"...the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -LTC D. Grossman

Hammock
    eno dblnest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/usmss
    Suspension
    tree staps/whoopie
    i agree that you need to cinch the suspention up tight. when i fist got my 20 degree incubator with 2oz overstuff, i was disapointed and was chilly at 45degrees. i chicnched up my suspention to the point it lifts my hammock up quite a bit and have been nice and warm since. the coldest i've slept in has been 23 and not at all cold. i am a very cold sleeper and i feel i could get down to teens defeinatly and single digets possibly.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM w/ Knotty
    Tarp
    Shangri La
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 & Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    You guys are the best, I'll crank er down and try again! Thanks for all the other suggestions I figured it was user error. I'm 5'8" so it's plenty long and I was wearing the thin cotton pants so that I wouldn't sweat and if I did have some grime that it would be kept off my bag. I'm used to sleeping with the less is more as a ground dweller so I understood that part that't why I added some clothing as I got cool. Stuff to try thanks!, I'm pretty sure it wasn't cranked down enough now that I think back on it, the ends were sealed but the middle might have sagged and that's where I was cold at.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gordonfreeman View Post
    Stuff to try thanks!, I'm pretty sure it wasn't cranked down enough now that I think back on it, the ends were sealed but the middle might have sagged and that's where I was cold at.
    If you have issues with the middle sagging, you could always install some cord using the loops along the length of the underquilt and run it over the ridgeline of your hammock to a corresponding loop on the other side of the quilt. This will provide some additional life to the middle of the quilt and keep it snugged up to the hammock.

Let us know how your testing with the above ideas works out.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    If you have issues with the middle sagging, you could always install some cord using the loops along the length of the underquilt and run it over the ridgeline of your hammock to a corresponding loop on the other side of the quilt. This will provide some additional life to the middle of the quilt and keep it snugged up to the hammock.

Cheers

Brian
    ====> Yep, that works well. Here is a pic of my AHE New River UQ where I put two lines over the ridgeline on my WBBB. Worked like a charm! You can see the left line clearly (orange), the right one not so much, as I disconnected it to get out of the hammock. But the "ridge over" lines to the UQ work pretty well!

~ Sky

DSCF0068.jpg CLICK TO EXPAND PIC
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post

Cheers

Brian
    I love that idea. The UQ I made for my HH has loops for the tie out lines to run through. One about right knee and one at left shoulder. A piece of shock cord from one to the other over the ridge would be a big help. I hope to get my incubator before Friday, but if not I'll try that on my present quilt...
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123