BIAS WWM w/ Knotty
    Tarp
    Shangri La
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 & Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

Was cold with Incubator

Ok, I've got the new 2.0 full length HG incubator 20f with a 1oz overstuff, I was also using a Kelty Cosmic 20f down bag. The area was a bit windy and didn't setup the tarp, temps were down to about 32-35.

I was kind of chilly, started out with cotton pants, t-shirt, polypro neck warmer and a took; later added wool long sleeve shirt. My core was doing ok after the wool but my legs kept getting cold. I was colder when I curled in a ball, I'm assuming the down got compressed when I did that. I had the kelty out on top of me like a top quilt I didn't zip it up.

I clipped the s clips to the whoopie and it looked like it wasn't too tight and there weren't any gaps at the end due to the 2nd set of suspension being tight across the hammock ends.

My buddy was using a 0degree synthetic and a thermarest in a grand trunk... He has maybe $200 in his entire setup and I've got what should be a primo setup and was cold... This has to be user error right?

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The incubator is a differential cut underquilt, so unless you installed it inside out, then it would be really hard to compress the down.

Sometimes it pays to have someone else look at your underquilt while you're in the hammock and check for gaps. Most underquilts need to be strung quite snug such that the underquilt actually lifts the hammock when it's empty.

Hope this helps.

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I'm going to go with cold legs due to cotton pants, and overall cold because of no tarp and wind.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    ...so unless you installed it inside out...

.....Most underquilts need to be strung quite snug such that the underquilt actually lifts the hammock when it's empty....
    This and this. Those are your starting points to check. If these are OK...block the wind.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    The incubator is a differential cut underquilt, so unless you installed it inside out, then it would be really hard to compress the down.

Sometimes it pays to have someone else look at your underquilt while you're in the hammock and check for gaps. Most underquilts need to be strung quite snug such that the underquilt actually lifts the hammock when it's empty.

Hope this helps.

Brian
    I fund that this is the best course of action. With my 3/4 DIY UQ, I can curl into a ball no problem and the quilt conforms to the ball, but not so with my full length. I had somebody watch and help me adjust. When I go into a ball with the full length, I get big enough gaps at the head and foot ends that my warmth goes away.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    What they said....... the quilt should BE tight, and if you had wind, and no way to block it, then you got double hit. Hope the next time is better. I had a little CBS and found that I had to really tighten the suspension.....RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S
    Insulation
    HG Incu-Burrow
    Suspension
    War Buckle
    Images
    I would recommend tightening the main suspension so that it lifts the hammock when empty. I have found that you can't really get it too tight, you want it snug against your back. The ends can sometimes be overtightened, this is a good place to have a friend check while your in the hammock. All that being said WIND can easily rob the warmth from your UQ. A pad is not effected by wind to the same degree.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Also, make sure it's oriented properly. The end with the HG logo should be at your head.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Insulation
    Down TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Hennessy suspen.

new incubator user here too.

hey there...i have the incubator 20* too...the first time i used it i wasn't cold but not toasty warm...and this was due to a few 'user' mistakes. the temps were only low 40's. i wore way too many clothes. i didn't have the quilt dialed in well.

The second outing i took my gear into the whites where the temps got down into the upper 30's. I spent the entire weekend toasty warm after having tightened up suspension...made sure there was no gaps between bottom of hammock and the quilt...don't fear tightening to this point. you wont compress the down. There was very little wind so that wasn't a problem. I shed down to the bare minimum, shorts, wool shirt, one pair of socks. This helped a great deal in retaining heat.

My third attempt was in my yard at 20 degrees for the low. I really wanted to test the rating and if needs be to bail if i had to. I had my brother lay in the hammock and dialed it in using the secondary suspension. I think the main suspension is ok but unless you plan on moving the quilt higher or lower on the hammock i find the secondary suspension works better. Once it was cinched in i climbed in around nine that night with just wind pants wool shirt balaclava socks and was really warm. Not sweaty warm but very comfortable. Teh only time i was cold was when i had to go to the bathroom. and after getting back in the hammock it only took a few minutes to warm up again.
    When i woke up in the morning my UQP was coated in frost...so was the edges of my hammock and bug netting was pretty much stiff. But i remained toasty warm.

The thing with hammocking is alot of it is technical. If one area of your sleep system is off then it throws everything off balance. Toomuch clothes means heat loss. Wind factors in too. Quilt not dialed in, CBS for sure. It's all trial and error for us newbies to hanging. But so far its well worth it. Sleep better, feel better in the morning. You actually look forward to getting to sleep lol. Cant' say that about a tent.
    Just keep plugging along...research the site for clothing too...i found that's really important. Too much means colder nights...odd i know but its true.

Hammock
    diy gathered end
    Tarp
    diy 11 x 8
    Insulation
    incubator-stealth
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I got my incubator a couple years ago so I'm not sure how much it has changed. I used it for about six months thinking it was cool. Then I cranked the shock cord tight and was all like "wow, it feels like its plugged in."
    "what do you suppose will satisfy the soul, except to walk free and own no superior" Walt Whitman

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast