Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joker421 View Post
    I haven't noticed enough movement from the poles to warrant adding prussics to the RL at the pole intersections, but I haven't used this in super-windy conditions either.

As for the lines attaching the poles to the pull-outs, I made small zing-it whoopie slings. They're adjustable from about 5" to 12-15". This allows me to wrap the adjustable eye around the end of the pole a couple times and cinch it down til I get the right pitch.

I'm still tinkering with it, but it has worked great so far. If I come across any major drawbacks in different conditions, I'll post it here, but for now I love the dual use of the hiking poles (and not carefully packing those nano lite tent poles).
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking of using Zing-It whoopie slings, too. Hopefully I can find some time this weekend to try it on my DIY ogee tarp.

Arrow shafts are a great idea. I made mine from fiberglass pole repair kits from Academy. Little heavy, but cheap. I am thinking of getting some arrows now.......

Resurrecting this old thread. I was really excited to try this concept with my new Tensa stand. I solved my lack of pull outs with Dutchware's Tato pull outs with a 3 section fiber glass pole. It was a fail. The pole would slip down one side or the other. Gave up as it was nice enough for porch mode anyway. No doubt user error but I need some schooling on this.
    1-the Tato's come with shock chord (which I used). Does that flexibility make a problem? Do I need to substitute Zing it? and keep the lines short?
    2-Does the bottom need to be pegged super tight so the upward force of the pull out makes a very tight line toward the ground?

P1000022.jpg

I did some fiddling and was able to answer my own questions. Yes and Yes. I made these short static lines to replace the shock cords that came with the clips. Now it works perfectly.

IMG_1027.jpgIMG_1970.jpg

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Looks good, meritlane. Glad you figured that out.

Regarding tendertoe's original idea to use hiking poles, I am still using this regularly, with my continuous Ridgeline under or over the tarp as conditions dictate, with silnylon or DCF, with no signs of wear or other damage whatsoever. I use mason line on my DCF tarps and it holds a Prussic well.

I don't use this in windy conditions, though, as it just causes the tarp to rotate. I instead string the panel tie- outs to a hiking pole on the ground, which is then guyed to a stake.

Just love the ease, versatility, and simplicity of this system and the lack of the need to bring more gear and weight.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456