Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    Although I haven't tried these in heavy winds or snow, I can't imagine them performing any differently than the traditional cordage-only pullouts.

Even with the cordage-only pullouts I have to knock snow off every couple hours in serious snow. I'm assuming you'd have to do the same with these.
    IMO there is never one setup for every weather condition.
    I would think if heavy snow was expected you'd just take the hiking pole off and adjust the tarp for storm mode
    same if the wind kicked up too much.

This is a really cool idea TT thanks for sharing it.
    If you did an over the tarp RL would that keep the pole off the tarp?
    Although as you said the contact is minimal.

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    I have (I love their work), however, now you're talking more weight, additional items to bring, and more $$$.

I haven't noticed any. The prusiks hold everything in balance and snug. The more the wind blows the pole one way, the more the prusik and girth hitch from the other end holds/tightens.

Cool idea. I actually got the idea from Lukesteg who used Easton Nanolites in the exact same manner. My only issue with something I don't already have is the same as above - mainly more $$$. If you had the materials sitting around the house, however, you'd only have to deal with the more weight/additional stuff to pack issue.

I figured someone must have tried this before. The deadeye with the girth hitch keeps things nice and secure.
    Setting up my WL Big Daddy using your method this weekend for use on a hike next week .. love the system .. Thanks again the improvement and sharing it ..
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    IMO there is never one setup for every weather condition.
    I would think if heavy snow was expected you'd just take the hiking pole off and adjust the tarp for storm mode
    same if the wind kicked up too much.

This is a really cool idea TT thanks for sharing it.
    If you did an over the tarp RL would that keep the pole off the tarp?
    Although as you said the contact is minimal.
    Hadn't thought of the over the ridgeline idea. It would probably keep the poles of your tarp. I prefer under the tarp, but if there is any sign of wear with the hiker pole mod then I'll be sure to switch it up.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    TenderToe, I love it, thank you for the idea. Now I can just go from Porch mode with the poles to this. I always have my hiking poles with me, and no extra stuff to carry. As Billy Bob Said, "Great!!!!!"
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WBBB-XLC Multicam 1.7 double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly w/door
    Insulation
    R-11
    Suspension
    Over the Shoulder
    If you tie off a prusik at each ridgeline in front of your tarp, going through each tie out, you get the same thing without poles and it pulls the tarp pullouts tighter.

Here is how I am pulling out but without the pole

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfoelwoIU3U
    Last edited by Wildman; 12-11-2012 at 15:40.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by texaswildman View Post
    If you tie off a prusik at each ridgeline in front of your tarp, going through each tie out, you get the same thing without poles and it pulls the tarp pullouts tighter
    I would love to see some pictures of what exactly this looks like.

I can't quite picture how you can pull the tarp out without having the attachment point be away from the tarp itself?

In Blaze's video, the hiker pole attachment being away from the tarp appears to be what is doing the "pulling out" if you will.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by texaswildman View Post
    If you tie off a prusik at each ridgeline in front of your tarp, going through each tie out, you get the same thing without poles and it pulls the tarp pullouts tighter.

Here is how I am pulling out but without the pole

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfoelwoIU3U
    I like the setup on the video, may have to try that out. I don't get how you do that without the pole, though.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hadn't thought of the over the ridgeline idea. It would probably keep the poles of your tarp. I prefer under the tarp, but if there is any sign of wear with the hiker pole mod then I'll be sure to switch it up.
    OK, I set up some short lines on prussiks like yours, and it seems like it will work very well. Nice thing is that if you need your poles for a day hike, you just take them off and go. No other gear to futz with (stake and pole guy line).

One thing I realized, though, is that if you make your lines long enough you can use them in the traditional manner with a pole--just put the loops over the tip and stake out the pole as usual.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    WBBB-XLC Multicam 1.7 double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly w/door
    Insulation
    R-11
    Suspension
    Over the Shoulder
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    I like the setup on the video, may have to try that out. I don't get how you do that without the pole, though.
    Where Blaze is coming out to the ridgeline on at the tarp, keep that line going to your tree and reach up as high as you can and tie off at each end having your tie out line tight keeping right side on right, left on the left.

Now at your tie outs on the tarp have a line w/ prussic and pull your tie outs taunt on your tie out line with the prussics

I will try to get some pictures this weekend.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Great, thank you everyone. This answers my needs perfectly. I am going to go out and try it as soon as the sun comes up. I hate having lines all over, messy and it is a major tripping hazard.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast