WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps

Feet High or Low question

When my grounder friends look for a tent sight, given a choice, they prefer their feet a little lower than their head - something about the blood not rushing to the head makes it easier to sleep. Regardless of the "reason", slightly lower feet is the preference.

When reading about Hammock Hangs, I often read that many like the foot end to be a bit higher. The next sentences usually makes a comment about the resulting "flat" feeling.

I'm a little puzzled about this apparent Tent = feet lower, hammock = feet higher paradox.

Is it because the weight distribution of a hammock results in a "feet higher" becoming "feet level" once the hammock is loaded with a body?

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Yes.

I almost have to hang my feet about a foot higher....probably due to my bigger than what should be center of gravity

Keeps me flatter and keeps me from sliding down during the night, and my bedding items stay put better.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Hang with your foot end a few inches higher than the head end. This will keep your body balanced.

The problem with a level hammock is that your torso is heavier than your legs and hence will be pulled down to the lowest point in the hammock by gravity. This will in effect drive your feet up toward the foot of the hammock.

By hanging the hammock on a slight slant, you effectively move the lowest point in the hammock a bit toward you torso.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    to keep you from sliding down towards the foot end of the hammock you raise the foot end a little. Your center of gravity is somewhere in your belly center of gravity is going to seek the lowest point.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    When my grounder friends look for a tent sight, given a choice, they prefer their feet a little lower than their head - something about the blood not rushing to the head makes it easier to sleep. Regardless of the "reason", slightly lower feet is the preference.
    <snip>
    Are you sure you are reporting this correctly? Have they all put spacers under the legs at the head of their beds at home, too? If not.......why not? I wonder if, instead, it is that given non-level ground, they'd rather their feet find and avoid rocks than their head and arms wake them up when doing that. How they'd slide into second or third base......

I agree that more attention ought to be given to this. I don't understand why many people take time to center the hammock between trees, except authority and then habit. I always hang the foot end higher and shorter, but I still rarely wake up and not find my head has still drifted toward the center.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Hammock = feet higher (slightly). I don't like sliding down in my hammock and it seems to me that I don't slide as much towards the head end.

Ground = I like the feet lower. For some reason I don't slide as much towards my feet on the ground.

Go figure, guess I'm lopsided depending on my contact with the ground.

Hammock
    Breyman 1.1 ACU, GTUL, TL DBL
    Tarp
    BMJ, GG 12x12
    Insulation
    Incbtr 20, No Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoop whoop!
    May be just me, but sliding down to the foot end of my tent drives me nuts!
    I'll try to get flat as possible, but slighty foot high seems to stay put better.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I have spent more than 1 night waking up, trying to figure out why I am sliding down, and pulling myself back up towards the head end. So now I hang with my feet up. Set up my Turtledog stand at a camp out with the scouts, and didn't think about the foot up part. Kept sliding down the first night, the second, I turned around, and slept great!.....RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Images
    And then there is the JRB BMBH original model - and maybe the newer ones. Head higher is a requirement, if level my head is too low. Why? Don't know.

All of this probably varies with how your body weight is distributed, so it is probably all an individual thing. Varying with both hammock and individual. I hang all of my non-bridge hammocks higher on the foot end from a few inches to a foot. That was a lesson learned quickly on my 1st night, and confirmed the next night, as I slid to the foot end through the night. I worked hard to hang it level the 1st night, and even harder the 2nd. After the 2nd night I never again tried to hang a hammock level.

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    I have to have my feet at least a foot higher than my head and set-up with slightly more sag than the ridge line calls for or I get a tight strip of fabric down the middle of my hammock that makes my legs very uncomfortable. Even causes them to go numb sometimes.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast