Images

Linville Gorge Trip

Hi all! Took my first trip to the gorge Arrived Saturday 11/24. Parked at Bynum hiked north about 1/2 mile found a nice spot and set up camp. A little windy but not bad until the sun went down. It got cold fast. We were expecting a low of around 25 but it got down to 18! This was my first trip with my DIY hammock and I have to say went very smooth. Broke camp Sunday morning early. Made our way to Wiseman's and WOW! Weather was perfect. Next stop was Old Conley to Lost Dog. After about 2 hours in that area we decided to drive over to Table Rock. Made the hike to the top of TR and enjoyed the view for about an hour. Camped near TR and had a great night. Not nearly as cold and found a great spot with perfect trees for our hammocks.

Day 3 we started at the Devils TH we were going to attempt Devils Hole however we took a wrong turn and to the best of my knowledge wound up halfway down a very narrow and steep trail near Hawksbill and decided to turn around. After reaching the first campsite on the DTH we found what we think was the actual DH trail we took that trail but after about 2 hours due to lack of knowledge of the area headed back to the car. Tired and frustrated we drove to Grandfather Mountain. Did that and drove to Lake James SP and camped there for the night. Headed home early the next morning. Trip was orig going to be a full week but got cut short due to work sched. I will def be back this spring for a longer trip! Had a blast and have to say the gorge is truly awesome!

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Ah, The Gorge is a beautiful place to be certain. Can't wait to take another trip there myself. The Gorge Rats are starting to plan the spring get together over at Linvillegorge.net and I can't think of a finer group to go exploring those parts with. Many of them know trails that aren't even trails any longer.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Sounds like you had a good introduction to the Gorge. Like Catavarie said head on over to linvillegorge.net to watch for the Spring Rat Gathering but most of all check out the maps. They have the best maps and also GPS data for the Gorge.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Images
    I became a member of that site about 2 weeks before my trip. Downloaded the gps data to my garmin but my gps unit is old and the bat dies after about 5 min. It worked great as long as we were in the car. I could not get the maps to print before we left. The problem was my printer not the files. Lots of great info on that site. Really wished I could have stayed longer but like I said work got in the way of my original week long trip. After looking at the maps it looks like we went down HawkClimber. Man that trail was rough.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I didn't trust my printer so I loaded the files up on a thumb drive took it to Staples to have them print out good quality print outs. A gallon sized ziploc bag works great as a waterproof map holder, IMO.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Images
    Should have done that. Lesson learned for sure.

• + New Posts