WL Lite Owl, WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AE Jarbidge, bag
    Suspension
    buckles/whoopies

Girth hitch vs. Biner/Dutch clip

For suspension, I'm currently using tubular webbing girth hitched (threaded through an overhand bite in the webbing) around a tree and then connected to my hammock using the double ring method. I'm looking to upgrade to Whoopie Slings and better webbing and perhaps dutch clips.

My question is what advantages over girth hitching do dutch clips or biners really offer? I suppose they're a little more convenient in that you can keep the webbing attached to the double rings on the hammock when the hammock is not in use (since you don't have to thread the webbing through the bite on a girth hitch), but if I'm going to Whoopie Slings/marlin spike set up, I don't really need to keep the webbing connected to the hammock when it's being stored. Am I missing something?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Just for ease of set up. Some like to leave their suspension connected to the hammock so as not to forget the tree straps which happens. I personally found having a biner handy for throwing the webbing around a tree I can't get my arms around. I've read that there is theoretically less potential for friction damage but I've not seen many posts about that. If you are good with threading the webbing then you don't really need to add hardware to save yourself 5 seconds.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Homemade Hex
    Insulation
    WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

It looks cool

Titanium bling just looks cool

It it were just me (a 41-year-old adult) I would do whatever is convenient and cost-effective. I like my Dutch clips and use them on my tree-huggers. I am responsible enough to keep up with them. My 11-year-old son, however, would lose them, so his hammock suspension utilizes carabiners which stay "locked" on the tree huggers.

It all boils down to what you are comfortable with. The "bling" components just add a bit of convenience. It's not really more secure or better, just different.

I've found in the brief time I've been in this hobby there are 5 or 6 ways to do the same thing. Of course my way is the best, right?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    With Whoopie slings and a dutch clip or marlin spike hitch, it's all about convenience. Personally, even though they don't weight much, I leave them at home. Simpler is usually better in my case.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Raoul... You've thought is out correctly. I use Dutch clips on my webbing suspension and girth hitch tree straps for whoopies.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl, WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AE Jarbidge, bag
    Suspension
    buckles/whoopies
    Thanks for all the feedback.

@Markrvp: I totally understand the bling appeal! Half the fun of hammock camping is having a system where everything comes together easily. In that vein, I went ahead and ordered a set of dutch clips and cinch buckles (decided against Whoopie Slings).

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Homemade Hex
    Insulation
    WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

You'll be happy with that

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback.

@Markrvp: I totally understand the bling appeal! Half the fun of hammock camping is having a system where everything comes together easily. In that vein, I went ahead and ordered a set of dutch clips and cinch buckles (decided against Whoopie Slings).
    I think you'll be very happy with that setup Dutch has also suggested if you are going to leave the Dutch Clips in your straps, you can put a couple of stitches in the loop to close it up once the clips are in place. Then they just stay with the straps and won't fall out of the opening.

Quote Originally Posted by markrvp View Post
    I think you'll be very happy with that setup Dutch has also suggested if you are going to leave the Dutch Clips in your straps, you can put a couple of stitches in the loop to close it up once the clips are in place. Then they just stay with the straps and won't fall out of the opening.
    That's what I did on mine and on my 9-year-old son's rig. No lost Dutch Clips (though I'm as likely to lose them as he is). Now, if he were only tall enough to put his straps high enough around the tree...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it; we go to smooth it." -- Nessmuk

Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 102, Fayetteville, Arkansas

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Dutch clips (or heavier biners) normally will save a half minute in setup. The times that they will save you more and reduce frustration, is when you are attaching to the trunk of a tree in between low branches, and then realize that you need to move the strap up or down. Then you have to un-thread your straps, reposition them between two other branches and re-thread them again.
    Don't ask me how I know this
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts