Yukon Outfitters, ENO DN, NW Aspen
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Natural body fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Lessons learned from using Technora for my first Whoopie Sling

1. You guys are amazing. The 'stuff' you have figured out in order to produce the suspension systems and replacements for metal fixtures is great...

2. Technora will remove your finger prints. As I've been using a home made fid to open up the rope and then milking buries, I found that I've rubbed the skin off my finger tips.

3. Technora doesn't fuse. Not even with a blow torch. You whip it, tape it, or shrink wrap it. Dyneema fuses really nice with a blow torch....

4. Related to #3, Scotch tape works a lot better than masking tape. Masking tape has a much higher coefficient of friction. I was not able to pull masking tape through a bury. If I had a real fid, maybe I could....

5. This is addictive - after making a 6' whoopie, I realized I might also need a 3' whoopie. I've still got to go back and make a second 6' whoopie. I'll have to wait a few days for my fingers to heal. I could even modify a whoopie to use as continous ridge line (I might need intervention).

6. I also realized I have a tendency to buy in larger quantities than I actually need. Perhaps the 1000' foot of Technora was a bit much. I'm sure I'll eventually use the 300' of 3/16" Dyneema somewhere (he didn't have any 7/64th - but that is another story).

7. My #2 son isn't impressed. Since I'm a Geezer as well as his father, he doesn't pay any attention to my ranting. I'll get the other scouts and leaders into replacing their hardware with slings and nacrabiners. I'll let them get him hooked on counting the ounces in order to save pounds on a hike. The #1 son gets back from college next week. I'll start working on him to replace the hardware on his ENO. Between the three of us, I might make a dent in the 1000' of Technora.

Now I just need to get a hammock so I can actually use some of this stuff on it.

GeezerScouter

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    All that work, and no hammock, tisk tisk.

Hammock
    DIY, so far
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    underground quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie !!
    Magna fabrics will sell you a 1000 yard roll of ripstop............ I didn't say that
    I can levitate.......................................... .................................................. .................................................. .In my Hammock

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    LOL So funny!
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by GeezerScouter View Post
    ...2. Technora will remove your finger prints. As I've been using a home made fid to open up the rope and then milking buries, I found that I've rubbed the skin off my finger tips...
    I suggest you start using a wire folded in half to pull the buries through instead of the method you are using. It's faster and will end your skin lose.

Here's a couple of links demonstrating the method. I used a loop turner in these, but a wire folded in half works exactly the same. Just insert the rope in the "eye" of the folded wire instead of the hook on the loop turner.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...77&postcount=9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMj9dvdJNEc

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diy TQ
    Suspension
    MSH/Straps
    Gmcttr, what thickness amsteel is that? I've found it nearly impossible to use that method with 7/64". Ive found the easiest method is to use a quilting needle and tape the rope to the tapered end of the needle, then pull through.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtupnsmoke View Post
    Gmcttr, what thickness amsteel is that? I've found it nearly impossible to use that method with 7/64". Ive found the easiest method is to use a quilting needle and tape the rope to the tapered end of the needle, then pull through.
    I've used a folded wire for as small as 1.75 zing-it with little difficulty.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtupnsmoke View Post
    It's 7/64". I started out using your method and found it to be a pain.

Using a proper length taper and hooking on at the middle of the taper is key to making it easier to start the bury.

Like Dragon360, I use the loop turner or folded wire down to 1.75 Zing It.

Here's a photo of folded wires (the twist isn't necessary) and 7/64" amsteel with folded wire ready to pull the bury (the "hard way", no taper)...

IMG_1550 (Medium).JPGIMG_1601 (Medium).JPG

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Loop turner has become my tool of choice. Small wire works just as well, but my wife picks it up and throws it away. I bought a roll of braided mason line. LOL. I cant braid that. Id rather try flossing my teeth with it.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diy TQ
    Suspension
    MSH/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    It's 7/64". I started out using your method and found it to be a pain.

Using a proper length taper and hooking on at the middle of the taper is key to making it easier to start the bury.

Like Dragon360, I use the loop turner or folded wire down to 1.75 Zing It.

Here's a photo of folded wires (the twist isn't necessary) and 7/64" amsteel with folded wire ready to pull the bury (the "hard way", no taper)...

IMG_1550 (Medium).JPGIMG_1601 (Medium).JPG
    I haven't tried with tapering that far back. I'll have to try that. I think that might just do the trick.

Ibgary, I use a large needle to do the masons line. It is the easiest I've done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast