Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by danmondy View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. i am hearing a lot of long johns for base layers. Any recommendations on base layer materials? I'd heard cotton is bad because it soaks up moisture. Is something moisture wicking preferable or does that just push it into your down?
    Cotton kills. The problem with cotton is that it picks up and holds moisture. In hot weather the moisture evaporates providing cooling. In cold weather it becomes a layer of cool next to your skin.

If you want to experiment try wearing a warm sweater or fleece shirt over a cotton T neck and then over a poly propylene, silk, wool, or treated polyester T neck at the same temperatures.

I said treated polyester because it is the same as cotton unless it is treated to be hydrophobic. Cheap polyester is the same as cotton. It can be made similar to wool or polypropylene but then it is not cheap.

BTW, the cotton T neck is an easy way to wear fancy ski sweaters in warmish rooms. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    It does amaze me how many long johns are cotton and how you have to read the labels carefully to find what your looking for.

As for the poly fleece at Sportsmansguide, they are pretty picked over on sizes.

Hammock
    Wife Made
    Tarp
    Wife Made
    Insulation
    Wife Made
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I used a pair of wool socks coupled with a pair of mid weight poly tights and my 850 fill down shirt last night. One thing I'm trying to do is bring clothing and wear it all to bed if the temps warrant it. That way you're not carrying more weight than necessary in your pack. Everything has an indispensable purpose.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I'm the "odd guy out", as I tend to carry clothes specifically to sleep in.

In cold weather, I'll wear a wicking base layer day and night.

As I get ready to sleep, I drop my trail outerwear, and throw on a pair of sweatpants, a clean/dry pair of wool socks I use only to sleep in, t-shirt, and my wool buff.

In the morning, a clean dry pair of trail socks, and usually the same outerwear from the day before go back on as the sweatpants/t-shirt/wool socks get put away.

I never sleep in my outermost layers...those are replaced by my sleeping bag/woobie when I sleep.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    To those of you who are confident in the VB; do you really have to also include you feet, hands and head in that VB? I can see the feet, but the hands and head?? I do sleep with a hat on (not a vb hat), but I prefer my hands to be free.
    If I use VB clothing, I also use VB socks. We lose heat fastest out of our head, hands and feet. I didn't use VB socks one night, and the foot of my sleep bag was soaked.

I don't always use a VB on my head, but I do use either a buff, or Balaclava if the the temps get below 30°F. When the temp is down between 0°F to 20°F, I'll get a sore throat breathing in the cold air.

Hammock
    My DIY 1.9 SL ATACS-FG WB clone
    Tarp
    DIY Sil ATACS Hex
    Insulation
    Underquilt.com FL
    Suspension
    DBL StrapCarabiner
    Images
    Off topic warning, wickedclown2, what the heck is that blue, red and white thingy in your second picture where you show the baclava on your ridgeline?

Thanks,
    gmcpcs
    Semper Veritas.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcpcs View Post
    Off topic warning, wickedclown2, what the heck is that blue, red and white thingy in your second picture where you show the baclava on your ridgeline?

Thanks,
    gmcpcs
    That's a LazerBrite modular led light, I got my first LazerBrite when I went to Afghan the first time in 2002 and have carried one ever since ( Afghan twice and Iraq once ) . I also have one in my Hummer H3 and one in my Wife's Chevy Blazer for emergencies.

https://www.lazerbrite.com/

pics from the website

I also have the Map Case System :

I hope that helps

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post

In cold weather, I'll wear a wicking base layer day and night.

As I get ready to sleep, I drop my trail outerwear, and throw on a pair of sweatpants, a clean/dry pair of wool socks I use only to sleep in, t-shirt, and my wool buff.

In the morning, a clean dry pair of trail socks, and usually the same outerwear from the day before go back on as the sweatpants/t-shirt/wool socks get put away.

I never sleep in my outermost layers...those are replaced by my sleeping bag/woobie when I sleep.
    I also carry fleece top and bottom to sleep in along with a pair of heavy loose fitting wool work socks. I use a pair of bread bags on my feet at night in temps below 10*C...feet are always cold otherwise. Will be testing full body VB's this winter.
    Plan is polypro baselayer under VB 24hrs a day and add or remove layers as needed.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    nothing if im by myself ,if others along its undies.if i wear a bunch of clothes to sleep, i dont sleep well.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Not at all. I carry a set of clothes to sleep in every time out. I really look forward to a change of clothes after hiking and setting up camp.
    For me this is especially true in the winter. After snowshoeing in to a site and clearing snow for camp, I always dump the baselayer and swap for a dry set. I try not to sleep in my shells, but I usually sleep with my midlayers on because they are another item packed in for relaxing or after work is done.

Daniel, What materials are best? Good question. I like fleece for the baselayer and down for the midlayer. I add a couple midlayers if it is going to be sub 0. That doesn't make it best that is just what I like.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast